User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a new Momentum 21G in December and it had Goodyear Endurance tires on it with aluminum wheels.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Flyer View Post
    Ok so I am looking for a little advice from the GD owner braintrust.. Before I I departed the campground on my last trip, I did my normal walkaround to inspect the tires, etc. I found what looked like a split where what looks like the bead seam terminates.
    Attachment 22135
    I sent the picture to my dealer and he said looks like a defect and that they were still under warranty, but that they don’t do tires and went through the claim process. That process didn’t seem like it was worth it to put a new crap tire on the trailer. So, based on so many posts I’ve read here, I decided that I needed to bite the $768.47 bullet and replace all of them with USA made Goodyear Endurance 225/75R15’s. Same load rating and 10 ply but increased speed rating. Westlake was L, Goodyear is N (87mph). They look great and happy to have some better quality tires.
    Attachment 22137
    I didn’t have them balanced, the Goodyear tech said they generally don’t balance trailer tires. I sort of went with that. So, my first question is, how many of you balanced your tires? What impact would this truly have?
    Second question is tire pressures. Max is 80psi but the manager at the Goodyear place said it was a matter of preference and weight. Said the higher the PSI the rougher the ride, but be careful not to go too low. So I looked at this chart published by Goodyear and based on the trailer weight and tongue weight, each tire really only carries less than 2000lbs. The 2670MK max GVW is 8495lbs. I opted for 60psi which based on the chart allows for 2380lbs per tire. I didn’t want to go to 45psi or less, but that’s just really because it seems low for a tire that can run 80psi. What do you guys run on your Goodyear endurance tires, do you keep it low based on the chart or just pump them up to 80psi cold? Maybe I’m overthinking.. but any advice from folks who have experience is appreciated.
    Attachment 22138

George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FWIW I also put the same GY’s on my rig. I’ve not experienced any need to balance. I always fill to max psi (when tires are cold) and run a TPMS system, worth every penny. Good luck.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT FX4 5.0L,1823 payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiefswret View Post
    FWIW I also put the same GY’s on my rig. I’ve not experienced any need to balance. I always fill to max psi (when tires are cold) and run a TPMS system, worth every penny. Good luck.
    I just had 4 GYEs put on Saturday and only drove it 1 mile back to my storage yard so I don't have any experience with them.
    BUT, I did have them balanced and I can say that there are a lot of weights on the rims. So while I have not experienced the "need" it's obvious to me that it was necessary.

Regarding tire pressure, my limited experience (only been doing this since September) towing and using a TPMS says that the pressure will increase approximately 7 to 8 psi after a few miles of towing. I had been setting the Westlakes to 78-80 cold, but they end up in the mid to upper 80s before long. I think I'm going to try these GYs at 73-75 initially and see what they do.
    On the scales the trailer showed 6500 lb so I could probably go even lower.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I just had 4 GYEs put on Saturday and only drove it 1 mile back to my storage yard so I don't have any experience with them.
    BUT, I did have them balanced and I can say that there are a lot of weights on the rims. So while I have not experienced the "need" it's obvious to me that it was necessary.

Regarding tire pressure, my limited experience (only been doing this since September) towing and using a TPMS says that the pressure will increase approximately 7 to 8 psi after a few miles of towing. I had been setting the Westlakes to 78-80 cold, but they end up in the mid to upper 80s before long. I think I'm going to try these GYs at 73-75 initially and see what they do.
    On the scales the trailer showed 6500 lb so I could probably go even lower.
    Hey Jay, Congrats on the GY tires. I'd suggest you do a little more research on cold PSI. Most all of the reliable locations I've found for advice indicates that the recommendation to fill to max psi when cold already has considered the increase after warming. I'm not a bit fan of trying to find an accurate cold psi by self computing the approximate increase under a million different situations, but that's just my experience. I'd also venture to say that the majority of experience RV'ers would agree that when balancing RV tires/wheels (with the exception of maybe very heavy 5vers or Class A's) that the 'juice is not worth the squeeze', but If you feel more comfortable with balancing them then that's what you should do. Since you report a lot of weights being used, that may be a tip. Just my .02cents. Travel Safely!
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodyear takes into account that there will be an increase in PSI when the tires get warm. They've done all the research and know what to use as a recommended cold PSI. On our last RV, the Endurance tires got as high as 96 PSI while driving in 90+ degree weather. They were fine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, and you will find a ton of very experienced FT RVers, many with respected YouTube channels who would agree, fill to max psi when cold. Travel Safely.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Thank you Keebler, great contribution. Wish this could be a sticky. Travel Safely.
    Dave and Sue Dion
    SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
    2020 GD Imagine 2250RK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also venture to say that the majority of experience RV'ers would agree that when balancing RV tires/wheels (with the exception of maybe very heavy 5vers or Class A's) that the 'juice is not worth the squeeze',
    With the amount of weights needed I'd say I got plenty of juice out of that squeeze.
    Plus with balancing done as part of the mounting cost why would I refuse?
    Vibration is a killer of many things, bearings included. Been thru that too many times in my engineering career. Vibration vs smooth? No contest.

YMMV

BTW thank for posting the article re: pressure.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    You trailer will not come with Good year

They will have westlakes which are a very good tire for the imagine and transcend lineup

The few people who have had issue was when the tires were put on trailers and being overloaded
    These people tend to be very vocal

The vast majority of people have no issues with westlakes if properly cared for

But you do you. Change them if it makes you feel better

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    So, what you say is what I was saying until two days ago. I checked air pressure (75 - 80 psi) before every trip, do not overload the camper and typically drive at 65 mph. The tires have about 7000 miles (not local traveling) on them on a 2019 Imagine 2670 MK. Traveling on I-85 N near Auburn, AL the front passenger side tire lost its tread and did a number on the wiring and sheet metal. I will be replacing all around.
    2019 Imagine 2670MK, Titan disc brakes, Morryde CRE3000
    2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited TRD; RAS
    Bikes: Jamus Dragonslayer 26+ Sport, Electra Townie Go 8i
    Kayaks: Jackson Allwater, Liquid Logic

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast