User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on a lot of feedback, primarily on this forum, back a couple of years ago, it seemed the Westlakes on my 2017 Imagine 2670MK were fairly decent tires. And they have been after about 12,000 miles. Under no illusion that they are great tires, but over the years they haven't been the imminent failures people seem to think they can be.
    But now entering year 4, with unfortunately not near as much use as I wanted...which can be bad for a tire, so will be trading up to Endurance. Already bought and paid for, just have to schedule the install date.

I checked Discount Tire's price on line, and came up with $623 for 4, balanced and installed.
    Went to the Goodyear.com site, where with the KOA Rewards discount of 15% off, they came to $575. But the installer they pointed me to wanted $60 extra because they had to do the work outside.
    Just 'cause, stopped by the local Discount Tire. The instore price was MUCH higher than either the above two quotes. But I mentioned the one from Goodyear, and the guy stated "We price match". I offered to go home and print out the quote as proof, but they seemed REALLY driven to not let a potential sale walk.
    With no haggle and no verification of what I said, we closed the deal at $570, final drive-away price. Hmmm, at that amount, I may replace the spare Westlake also....
    So if you are considering, it may serve you well to preshop a bit....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Based on a lot of feedback, primarily on this forum, back a couple of years ago, it seemed the Westlakes on my 2017 Imagine 2670MK were fairly decent tires. And they have been after about 12,000 miles. Under no illusion that they are great tires, but over the years they haven't been the imminent failures people seem to think they can be.
    But now entering year 4, with unfortunately not near as much use as I wanted...which can be bad for a tire, so will be trading up to Endurance. Already bought and paid for, just have to schedule the install date.

I checked Discount Tire's price on line, and came up with $623 for 4, balanced and installed.
    Went to the Goodyear.com site, where with the KOA Rewards discount of 15% off, they came to $575. But the installer they pointed me to wanted $60 extra because they had to do the work outside.
    Just 'cause, stopped by the local Discount Tire. The instore price was MUCH higher than either the above two quotes. But I mentioned the one from Goodyear, and the guy stated "We price match". I offered to go home and print out the quote as proof, but they seemed REALLY driven to not let a potential sale walk.
    With no haggle and no verification of what I said, we closed the deal at $570, final drive-away price. Hmmm, at that amount, I may replace the spare Westlake also....
    So if you are considering, it may serve you well to preshop a bit....
    Do you think my local DT would price match yours?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local DT will match anything they can find to be real...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for balancing, this is a good representation on this topic. My tire guys says this is normal for "heavy" tires. He also said this is why a lot of tire shops don't want to balance trailer tires. Cost of the weights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0108.jpg  
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ perfect argument for balancing them, lol
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us have went the centramatic route, you can see them on my rig. $200 for a set of 4 and permanently balanced and will last the life of our rig. Nothing shifts in the cabinets traveling on good roads. We have 4000 miles on the rig so far and the tires are in excellent shape. Based on our weight we run cold pressure at 105 psi.

Wow that's a lot of stick on weights added to the rim some could fly off? The Westlake G load rated tires have a good reputation, so far excellent for us. When we get new tires in around 2022, 4 years old, we'll probably replace them with Salin, good reputation and available through most all quick change tire stores.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2254.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I developed a defective leak in a sidewall with less than 500 miles on my Westlake. Thank goodness for my TireMinder TMS. Replaced all 4 with balanced Goodyear. What a difference, I pressurize to max cold which is 65 on my trailer. On the interstate reaches 72-74 after several miles.

As far as the question if Westlakes are bombs..... If nine out of ten people had no problems would you risk your safety, the safety of your passengers and damage to your equipment on tires that fail 10% of the time. There is definitely a mind set of a few people that they are junk. The majority of them have no problems. One out of four of my Westlakes failed. A small percentage. I may have wasted my money, but I guarantee you my peace of mind was worth the cost.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    I developed a defective leak in a sidewall with less than 500 miles on my Westlake. Thank goodness for my TireMinder TMS. Replaced all 4 with balanced Goodyear. What a difference, I pressurize to max cold which is 65 on my trailer. On the interstate reaches 72-74 after several miles.

As far as the question if Westlakes are bombs..... If nine out of ten people had no problems would you risk your safety, the safety of your passengers and damage to your equipment on tires that fail 10% of the time. There is definitely a mind set of a few people that they are junk. The majority of them have no problems. One out of four of my Westlakes failed. A small percentage. I may have wasted my money, but I guarantee you my peace of mind was worth the cost.
    It is no where near 10 percent failure rate. Less than half a percent more likely
    At 10 percent that would be over 100000 tire issues

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, it probably is not 10 percent. I have no idea what percent, but I see enough post about failures on just this site and from my on experience to know it is a problem. I see as many complaints about Westlake tires on new trailers as I do complaints about failures on new trailer’s refrigerators, stoves, hot water, air conditioners, heating systems or anything else. The difference..... your life isn’t in danger when those other things fail.
    BigSam
    2021 Imagine 2500 RL
    2020 F150 SuperCab FX4 6.5 Bed 5.0L Engine
    Carry Cap 2066# Tow Cap 9100# Truck 7050# GWVR

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSam View Post
    You are right, it probably is not 10 percent. I have no idea what percent, but I see enough post about failures on just this site and from my on experience to know it is a problem. I see as many complaints about Westlake tires on new trailers as I do complaints about failures on new trailer’s refrigerators, stoves, hot water, air conditioners, heating systems or anything else. The difference..... your life isn’t in danger when those other things fail.
    If everyone started posting how well their westlakes are doing it would easily overwhelm the small amount posting failures but people don’t do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast