User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    If everyone started posting how well their westlakes are doing it would easily overwhelm the small amount posting failures but people don’t do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I have tried to stay out of this discussion but as a participant in the forum I felt it was my duty to report what I have done. I replaced my Westlake Load Range E last weekend with Goodyear Endurance Load Range E. My Westlakes were fine and had about 2,500 miles on them which includes mileage from Indianan to Florid for delivery. My next mod will be installing the LCI Road Armor equalizer with the Dexter heavy duty wet-bolt shackle set. That is next weekends project.

My reasoning for the tire change is this. We have two really big trips coming up. The first is to Michigan to visit our daughter. The second is to New Hampshire to meet-up with our son who lives in Boston. My wife's words were, "I don't want any problems on these trips." So hence the tire change and suspension upgrade. Both trips will take us to very unfriendly roadways to the North.

When looking at the tires, the two things that stood out to me were the GY weighs about 5 pounds more than the WL. 34 pounds on the GY to 29 pounds on the WL. I also compared the sidewall stiffness in person at the tire store and the GY sidewalls are much stiffer than the WL. I want a 'sturdy' tire on my TT for the abusive northern roads. My only blow out was in 2019 on a different trailer only 15 minutes after leaving our campsite in Michigan to return to Florida. I don't want a repeat of that. But in all honesty the tires on that trailer were GY Marathon that were . . . very old. I won't say out of embarrassment. But the trailer was a very lightweight vintage Airstream.

I will say that after getting the GYs installed and taking the TT back to storage there were places that usually had some porpoising on the WLs. On the GYs there was none. The trailer also seemed to track much better behind the TV. There were also some light crosswinds that I felt with WLs but felt none with the GYs. At this time I believe the GYs to be a bit stiffer and sturdier than the WLs.

In the end, it was for piece of mind, and for a tire that contains more material (5 pounds) than the WLs. I don't want that feeling again, "Damn, I knew I should have changed the tires." Been there, done that, and it's not a pleasant feeling. Someone also posted somewhere that Goodyear will cover trailer damage as part of their warranty should there be a blow-out due to a material defect. So that helps.

So that is my story on the tire change. Take it for what it's worth. If we were going to be camping locally, Florida/Georgia like we normally do, I would have left the WLs on for probably another year. But our two treks north warranted, in my mind, a change on the tires.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned 3 campers since 2012 and been driving for 57 years. In all that time I have never had blowout until this past December. The tire was a Westlake and it happen on a busy Interstate south of Atlanta, of coarse I have had a few flats but never a blowout as with China bomb Westlake tire. I feel much better going down road with Goodyear Endurance tires and piece of mind not having to worry about another blowout. Lost fender skirt and would have lost rim if I hadn't pulled to side of road immediately and probably more damage. I installed aluminum roof flashing above tires soon after I got camper and it protected underside of the camper from damage - it took a beating but did it's job - remove tires, cut flashing to size(comes in roll) and use short sheet metal screws.

If you see someone on side of road broke down and Interstate or highway has HERO(Highway Emergency Response Operator) service do your fellow camper a favor and call to report it. You very well may save someone's life. Someone called for me and they showed up with their huge flashing lights and moved traffic to other lane so that it was safe to change tire.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 05-16-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a blowout yesterday, which was my first with a Westlake. Damage was about the same as what my Michelins did when they blew out on our motorhome, and occurred right after another trailer we passed on the side changing one of its tires, so very possible it was debris related. We were at 65mph at the time, and it was barely noticeable.

People think it's a huge issue but when I did a poll a while back I think it was only about 20% of the forum who'd ever had a tire go, and considering that a very small % of owners participate, I'm inclined to agree it's a small overall failure rate.

I'm disappointed in how GD didn't reinforce the floor over the wheels. The tread punched a hole in the OSB that also tore holes in the linoleum. Aluminum flashing might have helped but it really needs something able to resist the steel belts eg a piece of steel or 3/4" plywood. OSB alone has very little resistance. It also broke one of the brackets spot welded to the frame and two fender supports. Plastic fender trim held up fine believe it or not.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 2600RB is supposed to be built this week and delivered the following. I never even thought to ask about which tires it would come with. I may call GD tomorrow (Monday) morning and inquire about the tires. If Westlakes are standard, I may try to upgrade to Goodyears as long as it will not delay the build. Summer is almost here and we have trips planned.

We bought our first camper a "Prowler 27X" TT new in '97 and it came with Goodyears. I replaced them with new Goodyears after 10 years and those are still on the trailer. I never had a flat on our Prowler in all 23 years of ownership.

John

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Apache View Post
    Our new 2600RB is supposed to be built this week and delivered the following. I never even thought to ask about which tires it would come with. I may call GD tomorrow (Monday) morning and inquire about the tires. If Westlakes are standard, I may try to upgrade to Goodyears as long as it will not delay the build. Summer is almost here and we have trips planned.

We bought our first camper a "Prowler 27X" TT new in '97 and it came with Goodyears. I replaced them with new Goodyears after 10 years and those are still on the trailer. I never had a flat on our Prowler in all 23 years of ownership.

John
    I have followed this tire debate for many months but remained silent. It's time for me to speak up. I too, replaced my Westlakes with GY Endurance. I have experienced the "porpoising" that OurNewEra has felt, and the feeling was gone with the Goodyear tires. Even though I've never had a blowout on either a trailer or vehicle, I felt that is was worth the few dollars to install better tires. Yes, I said better, because frankly, Westlake tires are crap. There is a reason they are so cheap...because they are. I worked for Firestone/Bridgestone for many years, seen many brands of tires, the construction, and which ones were prone to failure. I have more that one friend that have had blowouts with Chinese made tires. This is all stated as my opinion due to my experience in the tire field. 59 Apache, my advice is to replace the Westlakes (most likely installed) with another brand even if your dealer is not able to do it. Also, a good TPMS is a must. It's worth the few dollars for the piece of mind.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your post and suggesting a good TPMS. On a camper a TPMS is essential as you never know you have problem until damage is done to your camper without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I have followed this tire debate for many months but remained silent. It's time for me to speak up. I too, replaced my Westlakes with GY Endurance. I have experienced the "porpoising" that OurNewEra has felt, and the feeling was gone with the Goodyear tires. Even though I've never had a blowout on either a trailer or vehicle, I felt that is was worth the few dollars to install better tires. Yes, I said better, because frankly, Westlake tires are crap. There is a reason they are so cheap...because they are. I worked for Firestone/Bridgestone for many years, seen many brands of tires, the construction, and which ones were prone to failure. I have more that one friend that have had blowouts with Chinese made tires. This is all stated as my opinion due to my experience in the tire field. 59 Apache, my advice is to replace the Westlakes (most likely installed) with another brand even if your dealer is not able to do it. Also, a good TPMS is a must. It's worth the few dollars for the piece of mind.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AZMike, when you talk about porpoising, are you referring to side to side or up and down? I still have my stock Westlakes and if you are talking about side to side, total agreement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    AZMike, when you talk about porpoising, are you referring to side to side or up and down? I still have my stock Westlakes and if you are talking about side to side, total agreement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, side to side.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought I was stepping up to way better quality. Never dreamed that I'd have to worry about things like tires. I'll be calling GD first thing in the morning.

John

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Apache View Post
    Thanks Mike, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I thought I was stepping up to way better quality. Never dreamed that I'd have to worry about things like tires. I'll be calling GD first thing in the morning.

John
    You are choosing to worry about them. Most of us don’t because the failure rate is minuscule and btw GD doesn’t offer a tire option they won’t help you because they can’t
    They will likely tell you to talk to your dealer

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast