User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are choosing to worry about them. Most of us don’t because the failure rate is minuscule and btw GD doesn’t offer a tire option they won’t help you because they can’t
    They will likely tell you to talk to your dealer
    I've read enough on this forum and plenty of others about this issue, but I also have a brother in-law that did have catastrophic (made in China) tire failure on his new Montana. It happened on a stretch of road where there was no room to safely pull over. By the time he was able to limp it to a safer area it had done plenty of damage to his new 5th wheel. On top of sustaining damage to his new rig, he spent over $1400 in a small town tire shop upgrading to a good set of tires.

I will call anyway, and if they cannot upgrade for me they will at least know of my concerns.

As I've already stated, (made in USA) Goodyear tires have performed well and without even one flat for me for more than 23 years.

BTW: One time I did have a blowout on a pop up camper 30 plus years ago. It happened at night, in the rain. Had to jack it up and lay in the mud. Not fun.

John

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My camping buddy bought a new GD Reflection that came with Westlake tires before they made switch to Goodyear Endurance tires. First thing he did was switch out the Westlake to Goodyear Endurance. He had bad experience with another brand of China bombs on previous camper and did some damage; he and I will never own another set of tires from China.
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Apache View Post
    I've read enough on this forum and plenty of others about this issue, but I also have a brother in-law that did have catastrophic (made in China) tire failure on his new Montana. It happened on a stretch of road where there was no room to safely pull over. By the time he was able to limp it to a safer area it had done plenty of damage to his new 5th wheel. On top of sustaining damage to his new rig, he spent over $1400 in a small town tire shop upgrading to a good set of tires.

I will call anyway, and if they cannot upgrade for me they will at least know of my concerns.

As I've already stated, (made in USA) Goodyear tires have performed well and without even one flat for me for more than 23 years.

BTW: One time I did have a blowout on a pop up camper 30 plus years ago. It happened at night, in the rain. Had to jack it up and lay in the mud. Not fun.

John

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Apache View Post
    Our new 2600RB is supposed to be built this week and delivered the following. I never even thought to ask about which tires it would come with. I may call GD tomorrow (Monday) morning and inquire about the tires. If Westlakes are standard, I may try to upgrade to Goodyears as long as it will not delay the build. Summer is almost here and we have trips planned.

We bought our first camper a "Prowler 27X" TT new in '97 and it came with Goodyears. I replaced them with new Goodyears after 10 years and those are still on the trailer. I never had a flat on our Prowler in all 23 years of ownership.

John
    I just took delivery of a 2021 reflection 337 and it came with the GY tires.

If GD has switched to GY, there must be a reason.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

I checked Discount Tire's price on line, and came up with $623 for 4, balanced and installed.
    Went to the Goodyear.com site, where with the KOA Rewards discount of 15% off, they came to $575. But the installer they pointed me to wanted $60 extra because they had to do the work outside.
    Just 'cause, stopped by the local Discount Tire. The instore price was MUCH higher than either the above two quotes. But I mentioned the one from Goodyear, and the guy stated "We price match". I offered to go home and print out the quote as proof, but they seemed REALLY driven to not let a potential sale walk.
    With no haggle and no verification of what I said, we closed the deal at $570, final drive-away price. Hmmm, at that amount, I may replace the spare Westlake also....
    So if you are considering, it may serve you well to preshop a bit....
    Over a week ago I made an appointment at Discount Tire for Thursday. After reading your post I priced them online and found they’re about 5% less OTD. When I called, they cheerfully price matched their online price and added that prices can vary daily. Thanks for the tip!
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have had numerous trailers and most were used and replaced and balanced all the tires with good quality tires (including the spare) as well as brake/bearing greasing. I will be pickup up new TT this Friday and intend using the Westlakes for this year but will install TPMS.

I will budget for new tires for next year before I take this out for much longer trips. Also, will look into upgrading the suspension to get rid of those nylon bushings. Read a post by AZMike yesterday and like what he has done.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelisOne View Post
    I just took delivery of a 2021 reflection 337 and it came with the GY tires.

If GD has switched to GY, there must be a reason.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    My wife just saw a post on Grand Design XLS 22MLE Owners FaceBook page. The poster said they are taking delivery of their ‘2022’ 22MLE soon and were given an option by GD; stay with Westlakes at no additional cost or upgrade to GY Endurance for $275, which they reported as Dealer’s cost. They chose GY but didn’t give any further details. That is a good price however.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I'm with the people that feel all tires need to be balanced. I bought a set of centramatic balancers. $200 for the set of 4. Same concept as Counteract Balancing Beads but they are mounted under the rim instead of installing in the tire. An unbalanced tire can really shake things up and you'll never notice that up in the TV.
    Every since we put the Sumo springs on I'm seeing a lot less variability on tread wear. I only have about 1200 miles on the new Sailuns (westgate wore out at 14k miles) we've not experienced any abnormal tread wear or imbalance. We got these installed at a semi-truck shop that was familiar with RVs and heavy loads. I could be mistaken long-term but will have to get some more miles on the 5er before I can best evaluate.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    My wife just saw a post on Grand Design XLS 22MLE Owners FaceBook page. The poster said they are taking delivery of their ‘2022’ 22MLE soon and were given an option by GD; stay with Westlakes at no additional cost or upgrade to GY Endurance for $275, which they reported as Dealer’s cost. They chose GY but didn’t give any further details. That is a good price however.
    That is a good price. Keep in mind, the ones that come with GYs have an upgrade price built in, but totally worth it.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just made the switch to Goodyear yesterday on my 2019 2800bh, Discount Tire is having a Memorial Day sale.

I had no complaints on my Westlakes, but the timing of the sale pushed my schedule to buy tires about 6 months early.

I put the Endurance tires on my last camper, I feel they wore down faster than I expected. I will be keeping track on my miles this time in hopes that this set lasts longer.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discount Tire price matched Walmart.com, then on top of that we stumbled into their $50 instant rebate for Memorial Day, getting us out the door for $525 for four P205/75R14 Endurance tires. We swapped out our Westlake's after helping friends change a blown out Castle Rock a few weeks ago. They later told us of friends who had 3 of 4 Castle Rocks blow on the way home to the Midwest from Arizona this spring. Our friends were rattled and switched to Goodyear as soon as they got home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	34440

They had no TPMS warning, just a loud BANG as it exploded with 3 radial tears right through the bead. They were properly inflated, not overloaded, cruising at under 60 mph on a two lane highway, but fortunately on a stretch with some shoulder. Completely unacceptable. The Westlake's are probably fine, but I'm convinced the Goodyear's are better built overall, based on their higher speed rating if nothing else. I want all the margin I can get.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast