User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake to Endurance

Ok so I am looking for a little advice from the GD owner braintrust.. Before I I departed the campground on my last trip, I did my normal walkaround to inspect the tires, etc. I found what looked like a split where what looks like the bead seam terminates.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	22135
    I sent the picture to my dealer and he said looks like a defect and that they were still under warranty, but that they don’t do tires and went through the claim process. That process didn’t seem like it was worth it to put a new crap tire on the trailer. So, based on so many posts I’ve read here, I decided that I needed to bite the $768.47 bullet and replace all of them with USA made Goodyear Endurance 225/75R15’s. Same load rating and 10 ply but increased speed rating. Westlake was L, Goodyear is N (87mph). They look great and happy to have some better quality tires.

Name:	58828966183__B92AAE1E-F402-43B8-80AC-8E34014E5AEB.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	22137
    I didn’t have them balanced, the Goodyear tech said they generally don’t balance trailer tires. I sort of went with that. So, my first question is, how many of you balanced your tires? What impact would this truly have?
    Second question is tire pressures. Max is 80psi but the manager at the Goodyear place said it was a matter of preference and weight. Said the higher the PSI the rougher the ride, but be careful not to go too low. So I looked at this chart published by Goodyear and based on the trailer weight and tongue weight, each tire really only carries less than 2000lbs. The 2670MK max GVW is 8495lbs. I opted for 60psi which based on the chart allows for 2380lbs per tire. I didn’t want to go to 45psi or less, but that’s just really because it seems low for a tire that can run 80psi. What do you guys run on your Goodyear endurance tires, do you keep it low based on the chart or just pump them up to 80psi cold? Maybe I’m overthinking.. but any advice from folks who have experience is appreciated.

Name:	IMG_2798.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	22138

George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    George & Lani
    Greenville, SC
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2015 GMC 2500HD

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the balancing choice, choosing to balance minimizes shaking and vibration in the trailer/fifth wheel. Just because you are not feeling it in your buttocks doesn't mean it's not happening, shaking contents and suspension components, possibly shortening the life of your springs etc. I only have 50 or so years of experience in vehicles and suspension, 30 as an ASE certified Master Technician. Please consider putting $50.00 or less into smoothing the ride. As far as pressure, my opinion is to run what the vehicle manufacturer recommends, for your truck the pressure they suggest for maximum load, and your Imagine what Grand Design says. When your tires are properly inflated and balanced, all will be as well as possible!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just did the same switch with the same size tires on our Reflection, Goodyear asked me what pressure I wanted and I said 80 since that is what the label on the side of the trailer said. When I towed it back to the storage lot, I took a peak inside and from the few bumps we hit on the way home our recliners had self opened and the junk in the cup holders had flown out. I am hoping when we leave town on Wednesday it doesn't bounce like that once our gear is inside. If it does, I'll try a little less in the tires to see if it helps. Last trip we were only at 3500 per axle for weight. Thanks for posting the pressure chart for the Endurance!
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown very fond of Counteract Balancing Beads in my commercial truck tires. Started working on a new Imagine buy and will change out the Westlakes for GYE tires. I also like following load pressure charts for all my tires, be they on my pickup truck, trailers, and especially my heavy trucks. I also will throw in 4oz of Counteract in each tire when they are mounted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why why why would GD and others continue to cut corners on tires? I wonder what is going to come on my 2670MK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrikaners View Post
    So why why why would GD and others continue to cut corners on tires? I wonder what is going to come on my 2670MK
    Because they're trying to make a product that the cost of which is attractive to buyers. Putting more expensive tires (or any other item) on their rigs means they have to charge more for them.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrikaners View Post
    They aren’t cutting corners. There is a mindset that they are junk by a few people posting on the internet
    The majority of people run them without issue

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Because they're trying to make a product that the cost of which is attractive to buyers. Putting more expensive tires (or any other item) on their rigs means they have to charge more for them.
    I am sure if they felt it necessary they would put them on
    There wouldn’t be that large of a price difference
    Jayco does it

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry.

“ DO YOU FEEL LUCKY?”
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the people that feel all tires need to be balanced. I bought a set of centramatic balancers. $200 for the set of 4. Same concept as Counteract Balancing Beads but they are mounted under the rim instead of installing in the tire. An unbalanced tire can really shake things up and you'll never notice that up in the TV.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast