Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifth wheel and truck bed collide

We tow a Reflection 27RL with a 2500HD 4x4 and only have 5 inches of clearance between the two at the back of the truck bed. This low clearance caused the two to hit when we made a turn onto a dirt road from a bit too high street. Fortunately the dent in the back corner of the truck bed is not too bad and the damage to the fifth wheel was only the plastic corner that can be repaired with glue. We’ll be camping here a few weeks but before we try getting back out onto the road are thinking about raising our pin box to provide more clearance and hopefully avoid more damage. We only have one more adjustment hole so not sure 1” will help much. For those in the know how much clearance should we have? On a previous trailer we had almost 10” using the same truck. Should the Lippert pin box have more adjustment that maybe we’re missing?
    Last edited by dennysbabe; 08-24-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Used wrong term

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    6 inches is the norm. 10 inches is a lot. You want the 5th wheel to be somewhat level during transport or the rear axles will wear more than the fronts. At 6 inches on mine, the bed rails do touch the camper once in a while but it doesn't cause damage. Adding 1 inch will help a lot.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    We tow a Reflection 27RL with a 2500HD 4x4 and only have 5 inches of clearance between the two at the back of the truck bed. This low clearance caused the two to hit when we made a turn onto a dirt road from a bit too high street. Fortunately the dent in the back corner of the truck bed is not too bad and the damage to the fifth wheel was only the plastic corner that can be repaired with glue. We’ll be camping here a few weeks but before we try getting back out onto the road are thinking about raising our pin box to provide more clearance and hopefully avoid more damage. We only have one more adjustment hole so not sure 1” will help much. For those in the know how much clearance should we have? On a previous trailer we had almost 10” using the same truck. Should the Lippert pin box have more adjustment that maybe we’re missing?
    I think you want to lower your pin box, not raise it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you raise your hitch head too?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re right. I meant lower it so it will raise the FW

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Can you raise your hitch head too?
    Dennis just double checked and said yes we can raise the hitch 2 inches. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by dennysbabe; 08-24-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Left out wording

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
    Dennis just double checked and said yes we can raise the hitch 2 inches. Thanks for the suggestion!
    While this may be a short term solution (raising hitch head and lowering the pin box) you need to strive for a level trailer when towing and at least 6" clearance. As I boon doc at times I try to get 8". This may mean using lift blocks on the trailer, or reworking the truck suspension. A little nose high is OK but you don't want to be nose down or really nose high.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 5" clearance pulling my Momentum and we've been all over the nation a few times. So far, we've never hit....hope it stays that way.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2016 F350 Dually King Ranch (payload 5270), Momentum 394M (GVWR 20,000 lb), B&W 25K Companion. Truck is stock....no air bags, or other suspension mods. B&W Companion in the middle height setting and I have just a shade over 8" of clearance between the top of the truck rails and the bottom of the trailer nose. The turn from the road in front of our house onto the downward sloping gravel road that leads to our house causes that 8" of clearance to go down to a little over 2". BTW, the trailer rides almost perfectly level when towing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford F450/Momentum 376, I have about 5" of clearance and have damage from going into uneven spots. For me it's catching the rails for the roll top bed cover on the skirting rails, they don't like each other much and one or the other get bent or ripped off.

I've got about 2000 towing miles on the new truck now and I think I need to do some work on it. 1. raise the hitch to it's highest notch. 2. Add airbags to the truck (I've got squat). I may wait until we get down to Texas where I have access to individual wheel weight from Escapees. I would really like to have the trailer level and the axle weights balanced.

If your trailer is not level while towing you will increase wear and tear on your suspension and have higher maintenance/repair cost.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast