User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being vigilant may not be enough. We had a storm blow up in the span of a few minutes. I was in the RV an noticed it immediately. But with 3 separate awnings on our 397TH AND 3 separate places to roll them in...well...2 awning made it in fine, but the third was about half way in when the wind grab it and put a 3 foot rip in the fabric.

Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALWAYS retract the awnings! You never know when the wind will come up. It's easy to retract, not much fun replacing the awnings at $1500/ea..
    Last edited by thompson71; 09-04-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our awning is always out, but we have it anchored with straps and ground stakes. That way you can decorate if you want to (we don't) but love having the shade.
    Marcy and Marybeth
    Milo and Bean (rescue pups)
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always bring it in when we leave and at night. I’ve had to get up too many times to reel it in when the wind came up. I couldn’t sleep with it banging. We get many pop up thunderstorms here in Florida. They can come any time and have violent wind. Last summer a couple with a brand new trailer left for the day with the awning out. When they came back it was twisted up so bad we had to remove it from the trailer so they could leave. We had a water connection burst one morning too. I heard the noise so I got it turned off before any damage. We turn the water off now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we got our new rig one of the must haves was an electric awning. Two years later I am not so sure. We are usually parked for long stretches at a time. I would open the manual awning, remove the supports from the wall of the 5th wheel and use them as legs for the awning. Both ends of the roller would be lashed securely to the ground and the awning itself would be fastened at four points to the side supports. I had a STRUCTURE that could withstand all but the most radical changes in the weather. It became an outside room. During the hot summer I would just leave the toaster oven outside under the protection of my awning. Now I have this flimsy sheet of cloth sitting above me flapping in the least breeze. In and out constantly. I long for my old manual awning. And now that I am having hydraulic leakage problems with my auto Lippert leveling system I kind of miss all my manual stabilizing methods and tricks. But then again, I mostly live in my RV and only travel once to twice a year.
    Last edited by Larry Halpern; 09-04-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a frequent fixer of the Kan(t)leak water panel and the 110 fittings located behind this engineering debacle, we always turn the water off when we are away from the RV.
    After witnessing several destroyed awnings over the past 30 years of RV’ing and (in my opinion) the cheap components that comprise todays electric powered awnings, we leave ours rolled up tightly against the side of the RV.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the mistake of not remembering that our awning was out during a storm. One of the arms snapped. We found out through a great repair guy that the company that makes the awnings that GD uses in our 375 have been discontinued! No parts are available. The repairman was floored because we have a 2017 model.
    The good news? There was someone else in the park that had the same problem but the opposite arm. He swapped the arms out and got us back on the road quickly.
    We pull our awning in with the just the slightest hint of bad weather. I would guess we wouldn't be that lucky with repairs again. Better safe than sorry!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12