User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning paranoia - hypervigilance

We're on our maiden voyage, our shakedown cruise.

Thus far, every time we leave the campsite, even for a walk around the park, certainly if going off-site, and at bedtime, I'm retracting the awning. Does that level of vigilance wear off, or is it good and healthy to maintain?

I don't have paper lanterns, tacos, flamingos, or palm tree string lights up (yet), so it's not impacting my wife's decorating ideas.
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I worry about the awning is if its windy. Otherwise it stays out.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull our awning in whenever we are not at the trailer. It is a little paranoid to pull it in while you are walking in the campground, but if we are leaving for any reason, the awning comes in. We also close the awning at night so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night if the weather changes.

I don't want to replace an awning when pressing a button would have prevented that problem.

Same reasoning, we also shut off water at the spigot when we leave the campground.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JColeman: +1. Perfect advice.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Same reasoning, we also shut off water at the spigot when we leave the campground.
    You just sold me on a new awareness.
    While sitting here at the dinette, browsing forums, facebook, and HomeDepot, our site neighbor came over and said "you've got water leaking everywhere over here...."

Bad news: a plastic hose connection (female) had split around the threads.
    Good news: it was on the outlet side of the in-line water filter.
    Better news: since I made a 3' pigtail from the freshwater intake (with the brass 90), this split was outside the passthrough. A lot of grass and gravel is well-watered, but the inside of the passthrough and the service panel is DRY.
    Best news: it happened on the heels of reading @JColeman's post. Had this happened 1) inside the rig and 2) while we were gone for a couple hours, I cannot begin to Imagine the horror we would find on return.

Leaving camp:
    Retract awning
    Shut off water at hydrant

And lesson learned - use brass replacement hose fittings, not plastic.

-Scott
    Last edited by Gimpyknee; 08-25-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Lesson learned
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to worry about stuff a bit. After all, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cures. So the awning... We have been places when the 3pm wind is fierce. Awning ripping fierce. We have been lots of other places when the afternoon wind is mild, awning fluffing. The trick is in knowing when/where the difference is. Cody, WY bring the awning in, ditto Moab, UT. We are in Marquette, MI today, 50/50, could have left them out, afternoon wind was not that bad, but brought them in because we don't really know the local wind patterns. And that is the real key to the problem, what are the local wind patterns. How severe?

In the end, when in doubt bring the awnings in. They are a huge help in keeping the RV comfortable for the furry babies while we are away. But there comes that trade off point comfort vs awning destruction. There are no right answers, only decisions based on available data.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    We pull our awning in whenever we are not at the trailer. It is a little paranoid to pull it in while you are walking in the campground, but if we are leaving for any reason, the awning comes in. We also close the awning at night so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night if the weather changes.

I don't want to replace an awning when pressing a button would have prevented that problem.

Ditto on the awning and water choices. We do the same. Especially out west: you cannot trust the wind; it can gust in a millisecond. We had it happen (fortunate not to have lost an awning) and have watched others loose their awning even when at the camper.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    Leaving camp:
    Retract awning
    Shut off water at hydrant

And lesson learned - use brass replacement hose fittings, not plastic.

-Scott
    When leaving camp & at night we always retract the awnings. We also only turn on the water to fill our tanks and run off the pump. The pump usually gives better & more consistent water pressure than the hydrant & we just turn it off when leaving.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more vote for bringing in the awning when away and at bed time.

I also turn off the water; I come off the campground's spigot with this: https://www.amazon.com/2wayz-Metal-G...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Just a simple flip of the lever versus turning the round wheel style valves at many campgrounds (not to mention it gives access to water while outdoors without disconnecting).
    Last edited by Keebler; 08-28-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpyknee View Post
    We're on our maiden voyage, our shakedown cruise.

Thus far, every time we leave the campsite, even for a walk around the park, certainly if going off-site, and at bedtime, I'm retracting the awning. Does that level of vigilance wear off, or is it good and healthy to maintain?

I don't have paper lanterns, tacos, flamingos, or palm tree string lights up (yet), so it's not impacting my wife's decorating ideas.
    When our kids were young we were camped at a lake and spent the afternoon at the beach. The wind started to pick up so I walked back to the camper to retract the awning. I was literally 20 feet away when the awning went up and over the top of the camper. I sure wish I had retracted it before going to the beach, not a cheap fix. Now the awning is retracted more than it is extended.

Regarding turning off the water when gone, a couple of years ago we returned to our campsite after being gone all day. There was water pouring out of the neighbors camper. He left before we did in the morning so no telling how long the water was running but judging by the amount of water on the ground it had to have been several hours at least. We turned off his water but his camper was locked up so there was nothing we could do to help with the inside. When he came back it was one of the only times I have seen a grown man cry. Starting that day, our water gets turned off every time we leave.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast