User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 2019 375RES. over on the GVRW by a shade and the pin weight is 4200. I did have a 2018 ram 2500 CC Cummins 4x4 w/3.42 gears and air bags and b+w slider hitch. It pulled fine for me. Although I did not like the fact there was zero margin for safety. The factory provided me with a document that stated 4200 lbs vertical tongue weight.
    I did trade it in on a 2018 Ram 3500 CC DRW Cummins 4x4 long bed with 8'bed and 3.73 gears. A lot more capacity, and a lot more truck for only 2k more in price (end of year sale and beat the dealership up real good on price and trade value).
    The benefits are dual rear wheels, a blow out will let you stop under control where a SRW would be a white knuckle ride.
    The dually gets you 935 torque and 385 hp, a lot more engine, trust me.
    Integrated trailer braking and engine exhaust brake. It works wonders.
    Nearly 9k payload capacity from a truck with a 14kGVRW.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if I'm an idiot or just lucky but I've pulled my ST384GK-R almost 100k miles with my 3/4 Ram. Had it in some crazy crosswinds and never had a problem.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 2nd that I have a 2013 solitude 369Rl have been pulling it with a 3/4 ton since I purchased it new.
    I have an Anderson Slider hitch and 50 gallon diesel tank in bed. I have G rated tires on truck with air bags.
    Been to Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota, Utah. Orlando Florida, and Hot Springs Arkansas. Not counting all the local trips
    in between. Never had any problems or any white knuckle moments. So either I am very blessed or the truck
    is more than capable. Not trying to talk you out of a 1 ton DRW, just giving you my true life experience.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto HDVWing. I have the same setup except no slider and have had zero issues. I did have my 2017 Ram DEF deleted, removed the CGR and exhaust, cold air intake and a mild tune (50HP and 300ft/lb torgue). Will pull my Solitude up hill at pace of traffic with no issues at all.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulling my camper without tune on truck and passing vehicles going up Raton Pass in New Mexico.
    The worst situation I was ever in and it wasn't that bad on my tow vehicle or camper was going through New Mexico
    in a dust storm, blowing 18 wheeler all over road. I guess that would be a white knuckle moment, me being hit by an out
    of control 18 wheeler. lol

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post

The dually gets you 935 torque and 385 hp, a lot more engine, trust me.
    Just a clarification, you don't need the dually to get this, just the Aisin transmission. Actually the dually doesn't have anything to do with it, you can get the lower output in a dually also.

Nearly 9k payload capacity from a truck with a 14kGVRW.
    The 9K must be a typo?
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Just a clarification, you don't need the dually to get this, just the Aisin transmission. Actually the dually doesn't have anything to do with it, you can get the lower output in a dually also.

The 9K must be a typo?
    More likely is that the truck weighs 9K and he's got 5K payload.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

The 9K must be a typo?
    Could be one of those rare titanium bodied, metallic microlattice framed duallys with magnesium engine block and optional helium fill in the tires.

This thread was asking for a recommendation for a tow vehicle to tow a 15,000lb 5er. Would anybody really recommend a 3/4 ton diesel for this? 3000lb+ pin plus passengers, etc. It's not about how much you can load on a truck and still feel safe nor is it about a test of driving skill. I learned to drive a truck on a 1950 White Mustang. Early power steering aka a 3ft dia steering wheel. 5 on 4 non synchro tranny and brownie. 500+ cu in 6 cylinder flathead gas engine. I'm old now but as a younger man I could drive and pull damn near anything. Would I pull my 11k 315 behind a 1950 White? Nope, because there are better, more capable rigs out there for that. Not about how fast you can tow up a grade passing everything on the road nor about whether a truck will tow it or not. Hell, you can tow a Momentum with an old 4cyl Toyota, it just won't be fast. That's what 4wd low range is for, right? As far as carrying a heavy payload, I loaded my '66 Chev 1/2t with so much firewood it would pull the front wheels shifting to 2nd gear. I felt safe but then again I was about 24yo and invincible!

My advice to the OP is to not consider a 3/4t truck at all and bypass the 1 ton srw, go straight to a dually. Your trailer is already near or at dually territory. If you decide to upgrade to a bit larger you'll already be set.

That was fun! Rambling old codger signing off for now.
    Last edited by Chiefblueman; 09-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is why I dislike forums

Mistakenly type in something inaccurate and you need a 40 Cal Arc flash suit.
    The HO engine requires the aisin transmission. Why get the derated engine with the 68RFE?
    Yep truck weighs 9 k. But it has the 14k gvwr. So I was inaccurate about that as well. Keeping score?
    Tow what you want with what ever you want. Just be careful, the safety Nazis will ridicule you to feel better about themselves.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mistakenly type in something inaccurate and you need a 40 Cal Arc flash suit.
    The HO engine requires the aisin transmission. Why get the derated engine with the 68RFE?
    Yep truck weighs 9 k. But it has the 14k gvwr. So I was inaccurate about that as well. Keeping score?
    Tow what you want with what ever you want. Just be careful, the safety Nazis will ridicule you to feel better about themselves.
    I knew you'd made a typo regarding truck weight, just ribbing you about it. Sorry if you were offended.7

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast