User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing Timbrens on Chevrolet HD

I installed a set today. The instructions are crappy. They tell you to push the Timbrens into the cups by hand and twist them into place (later following up with a piece of wood and lowering the pickup to force them in the rest of the way). I tried getting them to stack in the upper cup by hand and unless you're Hercules they are not going to be twisted into place by hand. So this is what I did.

1. Jacked up the rear of the truck by placing a 2X4 under the rear hitch mount and jacking it up with a floor jack. I didn't take the rear wheels off the ground, just jacked them up enough to get a 2X6 and the Timbrens under the upper cup.
    2. Removed both factory bump stops with a medium sized screw driver. You have to shove the screwdriver up into the socket almost vertically and then pry down hard while applying upward pressure to keep the screwdriver from slipping.
    3. Placed a short piece of 2X6 on the axle where the bump stops (and now the Timbrens) engage.
    4. Spray the Timbren with soapy water, line it up on the 2X6 (it will sit on the wood by itself) and slowly let the jack down so that the Timbren is forced into the upper cup. Repeat on other side.

They slipped right in doing it this way. There is about 3/4" of clearance now before they will engage when I put weight in the bed. I'm taking off Thursday morning with the 5th wheel and I'll follow up with how they perform. They come already assembled. It's about a 20 minute job. Did it without help. I didn't use any wheel chocks or jack stands, but do what you think is safe.

This free advice is worth every penny you pay for it! My opinions worth even less.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any follow up would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m probably getting some of these over the winter. Going from the Reflection 303RLS to the Reflection 320MKS I have noticed the truck dipping a little lower. I have a 2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel 4x4. How has your ride been with these?
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I installed a set today. The instructions are crappy. They tell you to push the Timbrens into the cups by hand and twist them into place (later following up with a piece of wood and lowering the pickup to force them in the rest of the way). I tried getting them to stack in the upper cup by hand and unless you're Hercules they are not going to be twisted into place by hand. So this is what I did.

1. Jacked up the rear of the truck by placing a 2X4 under the rear hitch mount and jacking it up with a floor jack. I didn't take the rear wheels off the ground, just jacked them up enough to get a 2X6 and the Timbrens under the upper cup.
    2. Removed both factory bump stops with a medium sized screw driver. You have to shove the screwdriver up into the socket almost vertically and then pry down hard while applying upward pressure to keep the screwdriver from slipping.
    3. Placed a short piece of 2X6 on the axle where the bump stops (and now the Timbrens) engage.
    4. Spray the Timbren with soapy water, line it up on the 2X6 (it will sit on the wood by itself) and slowly let the jack down so that the Timbren is forced into the upper cup. Repeat on other side.

They slipped right in doing it this way. There is about 3/4" of clearance now before they will engage when I put weight in the bed. I'm taking off Thursday morning with the 5th wheel and I'll follow up with how they perform. They come already assembled. It's about a 20 minute job. Did it without help. I didn't use any wheel chocks or jack stands, but do what you think is safe.

This free advice is worth every penny you pay for it! My opinions worth even less.
    I just installed a set of SumoSprings which are the same concept and design as the Timbrens, I went with the SumoSprings because they are a little softer than the Timbrens. I installed them pretty much as you described by setting a 2x4 on the axle and dropping the weight of the truck on them to seat them, very easy. I installed on my 2019 1Ton to soften or eliminate the "chucking" or bouncing I would sometimes experience when hitting dips or bumps in the road when towing. I had the chance to test them the other week and loaded the truck bed with firewood, generator and a bunch of other stuff then hooked up the trailer with it's 1000lb tongue weight. When the truck is unloaded the bottom of the springs are about 1 inch from the axle and after loading and hooking up the trailer the springs just made contact with the axle which gives additional support. I have to say that the trip to the coast seemed much smoother on some of those narrow twisty roads as well as going over some of the awful overpass transitions with huge dips that the state of California seems to delight in creating on our interstates …. a pet peeve of mine! Anyway, so far I believe the springs to be a good mod for my truck and towing experience. Coop
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the rear timbrens on my 2019 3500HD DRW before our last trip. I felt like they did help the ride quality as we were getting jarred pretty hard sometimes in the back. My install experience jives with the OP. I had the front ones too but opted to just return them as I do not operate a snow plow or have a heavy aftermarket bumper. The back is where the jarring was coming from.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a set on my 2018 chev 2500HD. They went on quickly and easily. You can feel the Timbrens if you hit a deep, short dip when unloaded but normally the ride is unchanged. When loaded my experience is the same as Steve's. I feel it has improved.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post

Love mine! Air bags have pumps that fail and bags or lines that leak. They also require way more than 20 or 30 minutes to install and require electricity.
    I towed without them a few times and can tell you it was a dramatic improvement in ride and cornering!
    We no longer bottom out when we hit bridge gaps and potholes and the truck rear end went from sagging 2.5” to about 3/4” when loaded.
    Ride quality unloaded is 100% unaffected since the Timbrens don’t make contact until there’s quite a bit of weight in the bed.
    I’ve never heard of Timbrens failing or wearing out either, so for $200 and a quick easy install they are impossible to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop59 View Post
    I just installed a set of SumoSprings which are the same concept and design as the Timbrens, I went with the SumoSprings because they are a little softer than the Timbrens. I installed them pretty much as you described by setting a 2x4 on the axle and dropping the weight of the truck on them to seat them, very easy. I installed on my 2019 1Ton to soften or eliminate the "chucking" or bouncing I would sometimes experience when hitting dips or bumps in the road when towing. I had the chance to test them the other week and loaded the truck bed with firewood, generator and a bunch of other stuff then hooked up the trailer with it's 1000lb tongue weight. When the truck is unloaded the bottom of the springs are about 1 inch from the axle and after loading and hooking up the trailer the springs just made contact with the axle which gives additional support. I have to say that the trip to the coast seemed much smoother on some of those narrow twisty roads as well as going over some of the awful overpass transitions with huge dips that the state of California seems to delight in creating on our interstates …. a pet peeve of mine! Anyway, so far I believe the springs to be a good mod for my truck and towing experience. Coop
    We just installed Sumosprings on our 2011 2500HD before going to Disneyland last week. We have a 2020 260RD and the difference between having the Sumosprings and not having them is night and day.

I couldn't agree with you more about the bridge transitions and underpasses in California. There are also parts of I-5 that are worse than most dirt roads.

Between the Bilstein shocks and the Sumosprings, best upgrades I've made yet.
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 GMC 2500 2wd gas. towing a 19 303 rls fiver. I installed the timbrens & I didn't like them. It seemed like I felt every bump in the road.
    So I removed them and felt that the ride was better. We have another trip planned next week, if I have time i'll put them back in to confirm.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Timbrens on my last truck and for the money you can’t beat them. I have Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags on the current truck with the stainless steel hardware and steel braided lines to keep maintenance headaches to a minimum. I had the shop install the systems on both trucks - much easier as they have a lift and better tools, etc. Labor cost not bad for either one.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast