User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommend Tow Vehicle

I have a Solitude 32rl and am looking at purchasing a tow vehicle. I am leaning towards a 1 ton SRW as I think that the 3/4 ton may be to close to the limit. Any recommendations.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thesilverback View Post
    I have a Solitude 32rl and am looking at purchasing a tow vehicle. I am leaning towards a 1 ton SRW as I think that the 3/4 ton may be to close to the limit. Any recommendations.
    Not heard of a Solitude 32RL. Typo?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Not heard of a Solitude 32RL. Typo?
    As Chiefblueman pointed out you should double check your model number. In my opinion any Solitude is going to be too much for a 3/4 ton truck and only the more modest sized Solitude models will be suitable for a SRW one ton. Most Solitudes are best matched with a one ton DRW truck. Good luck with your truck search!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a typo. ST321RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe your right. A 3/4 ton is to light. I have tossed the DRW idea around.

Thank you for your advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the smallest Solitude, a 310GK that tows very nicely with a SRW F350. It's pretty close to maxing the payload though. I would definitely want a dually for one of the big ones.

Edit: I just went and looked up the specs on yours and it's nearly identical to mine in size & weight. I agree a 3/4 ton is pushing it. If you might get a bigger unit in the future, DRW would be the smart money.
    Last edited by PHMadness; 08-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listed pin weight at #2600 . That number will only increase once you load it. GVWR of #15 ,000. 22%puts your pin weight in the #3300 category which is beyond 3/4 ton range.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    Listed pin weight at #2600 . That number will only increase once you load it. GVWR of #15 ,000. 22%puts your pin weight in the #3300 category which is beyond 3/4 ton range.
    That is roughly 160# shy of my F350 diesel payload as well, and is over by just adding my slider hitch into the math (then there is people, tonneau, fuel, etc). I'd be looking at a 1T gasser (diesel reduces payload ~1,000#), a 1T diesel non-crew cab with less options... or a DRW if want a diesel with all the creature comforts and an upgrade path on the 5er. I'm hedging our 5er upgrade path with the later - F450 should hit the dealership on Saturday.

Good luck in your search!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I looked up a 321RL is shows a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. At a minimum, if you are loaded to that weight or near that weight, you are going to have over 3200 lbs of pin weight on the truck. Then you have to add the weight of the hitch 175-200 lbs, passenger(s), and anything and everything that goes in/on the truck. I obviously don't know how heavy or light you will be loading the trailer or the truck, but it is always best to figure on worst case scenario and to always use the GVWR of the trailer....16,000 lbs in this case. Looking at everything that could be loaded in the trailer and the truck, it's pretty easy to see where you could be trying to handle 4000 lbs counting the pin weight, the hitch, passengers, and everything else. The clear choice for me would be a Dually, as most of the 1Ton SRW truck are going to be in the 3400-3500 lbs of available payload if it's a diesel. The higher the trim package (Platinum vs. XLT) in the Ford lineup, will cost you even more payload. I would seriously not even consider a SRW for that trailer. It's always better to have a bit more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your valuable info. I guess it’s back to the dealerships and start looking at DRW again. I had originally started out with this thought and then thought it was to much truck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast