Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Texas Newbie here

Hello everyone. We are looking hard at a new Momentum Toy Hauler and I would appreciate anyone input about the overall quality of there units. I read some reviews on the internet and frankly it scared me to death. We are not wanting to buy something that will be issue after issue.

I appreciate any help and advice I get.

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well ya just never know. We had a Reflection , one shower door roller failed at about 8 months old.
    Now have a Solitude. Had slides adjusted early on. Out of warranty now , but GD is replacing the LED cap lights cause they are melting down and goo is dripping off. No other warranty work done on either one.
    Combined they have about 16-18k miles and over 130 nights camping in a little over two years.
    I have repaired a few issues myself because it’s easier than hauling it in , and I really don’t like other people working on my stuff.
    Then you read about one that has a list of 25 warranty items.
    No matter what you get it helps if you are somewhat mechanically inclined yourself.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Charlie. I fix the small stuff, it is cheaper and easier than running off to a dealer and letting it sit there for a month.
    Have you tried dealing with Grand Design directly and getting parts sent then doing the labor yourself?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you will see the same doom and gloom posts on any other manufacturers forums. None of the units are perfect. In addition, over half of the issues are related to outsourced products like Dometic, Furrion. Lippert and such. Just my two cents worth.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    Thanks Charlie. I fix the small stuff, it is cheaper and easier than running off to a dealer and letting it sit there for a month.
    Have you tried dealing with Grand Design directly and getting parts sent then doing the labor yourself?
    No I have not. We really haven’t had any repairs that required parts other than the two warranty issues mentioned. On the lights my wife actually just called customer service to find out where to get a replacement strip since it was a few months past warranty. The rep said not to worry about it , send pics to the dealer and they would do a warranty replacement. That was better for me in case the paint gets pulled off removing the old ones. Parts are in and it’s scheduled for early next week.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at RVs is the fun part. We looked at so many different toy haulers and the quality is all over the place. Your ahead of the curve since your looking at a Momentum. No one unit is perfect but some come closer than the rest. After 8 months of researching and shopping in the 50k range we bought a Attitude. It’s a solid build rig with solar, invertor, rear patio deck with fence, double door fridge, 150 gallon fresh, 40 gallon gas, 50 inch tv, kicker sound system, ceiling fan, 2 Ac’s, LED spot lights all round it. The bad was 50 gallon grey & 50 black, the slide rubbed against the Can Ams door, no separate garage, so limited eating/ guest sleeping area. The kids bags always seemed to be in the way. Genesis was our second choice, almost same layout but with built in rack with coffee pot.
    Go to Rv shows and walk through as many as you can, Or skip it and find which Momentum you love the most and be done with it. None will be perfect or trouble free but get close to your perfect.

Happy hunting

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Momentum and overall are happy with it. I feel like we have had minor issues, GD has been good to us. They have shipped parts to me, they replaced my microwave twice, but it had to be sent to a dealer and I could pick it up there. Shortly after delivery our power cord developed a short, called GD and they worked with a local dealer to give me a new power cord the next day. I also contacted Furrion who ended up sending me a new power cord as well, but never told me they were sending it. It was a surprise in the mail for me, I let GD know and they said keep both cords, now I have a spare.

Overall quality is on par with others in the same price range. All the "stained" trim and things of that nature are really wood particle board covered in stain looking tape type material. I'm sure it's due to weight, but really displeasing. GD like others, does a terrible job at running wires, it's a rat's nest of wire. They dont use bus bars for all of the grounds on the DC side, so they jumble everything together with wire nuts. This was easy to correct myself, but shouldn't be necessary for a new RV. If I was to do it all over again I would still consider GD, but I would also look at other brands, especially for options offered (e.g., disc brakes, Morryde IS system, etc.). The other think that irks me is GDs use of impact drivers for fasteners, I dont know how many broken screw heads I've found.

We got a good unit and are happy campers, some do not and are very sour. Ours was also a custom order, it didnt sit on the lot. It's a roll of the dice for what you get with any manufacturer including GD.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH