User Tag List

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won't lose anything , but they certainly will no longer gain a thing.
    I beg to differ. Pilot used to be my normal fill up station. Since they've left TSD, they've "lost" about 500 gallons of diesel fuel sales from me. And will continue to lose my ~1500 gallons/yr in purchases. They are losing something, no question about it.

You know, I was hiking today, and often, when I do that, my mind wanders. TSD was on my mind, because, where I filled up that day had a posted price of ~2.50 per gallon and the TSD price was ~1.50 per gallon. My savings on a fill up for the 450 was about 35 dollars, and when I saw it on the app, I thought to myself, "how in the h*ll is this happening". After that, I called my brother who uses heating oil and asked him what he paid on his last fill of the season (a few weeks ago), and it was about 2.25/gallon. Well, a few weeks ago, I filled my 100 gallon transfer tank for the first time with road diesel (green) for about 1.50/gallon.

The simple question here, how is this possible? HHO (home heating oil) is diesel fuel, dyed red, without road tax paid on it (which saves 30-60/c per gallon, depending on where you are). How is he paying MORE for heating oil than I am for fully taxed diesel fuel, and not by a little bit, by a LOT.

Making it simpler, TSD right now, in my area, is about 1/gallon savings. It's a little less than that, but let's just call it a dollar a gallon for the sake of discussion. Does that mean that the gas station makes >$1/gallon on every gallon of diesel they sell?! That's getting close to 100% markup, I thought fuel had "razor thin" margins, not marked up like a Gucci purse. Are they selling the fuel below cost to TSD? If so, why? Is there some futures buying/hedging the TSD is doing? I mean, silly, but if my station is buying diesel at 2.25 and selling it at 2.50, sounds like I could go into business buying from TSD at 1.50 and trucking it to FlyingJ, selling it for 2/gallon and making a good profit myself while leaving plenty of margin in it for FlyingJ.

I just don't get it. Fuel is a commodity, it's almost like selling dollar bills at 80c each, it just makes no sense, why would you sell it so cheap? I just do not understand it, I really thought the whole thing was BS until I read some reports and then tried it for myself, and now, instead of thinking it's BS, I just sit with my jaw slack as I see my settlement statements roll in that are close to 1/2 the posted price at the pump. Is the fuel business really that profitable?! Or are those 2.50 prices just for the "rubes" who don't know about EFS programs, where EFS is more the "thin margin" sale that I thought was the norm for all fuel?

It's just crazy, I look back on all the payback period calculations I did on my first diesel vehicle and not a single one of them looked good because the price of diesel was so much higher than gasoline. And every calc you see online basically says that too, but, it's not actually true. EFS brings the price of diesel to basically around the price of super gasoline right now and that totally changes the payback period for diesel in something like an BMW X5 (for example).

I just don't understand how they can do it, I really don't. Or, put another way, man have I wasted 1000's of dollars, probably 10,000's of dollars over the course of my life buying diesel fuel at the "rube" price. My brother would be better off filling his heating oil tank with road taxed diesel fuel (and not by a few pennies, by a LOT), how on earth does any of this make any sense? And, looking at this chart, the price my brother was getting for HHO was pretty much in line:

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Researche...ing-Oil-Prices

Around 2.50/gallon. When I can buy (and just did, today) fully road taxed diesel at 1.50/gallon? This makes no sense to me. How much profit is in that 2.50/gallon price? Before this, I would have thought maybe 20c/gallon. But, sounds like the real answer has to be close to 1.50/gallon in PROFIT (taking TSD price and subtracting out the road tax at around .50/gallon, no, it's not exactly .50/gallon, it's about .35/gallon in my area, just trying to keep the numbers round). It's just crazy making, and really turned what I thought I knew about the energy/fuel market right on it's head.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got this email from tsd today, looks like more good savings

Good evening TSD Fuel card holders. We have some great news. TA/Petro has come back to us with some great rates. They will likely be the lowest price out of all of our vendors.

We have also added Kwik Trip and Kwik Star to our discount program with 10 cents off per gallon. We are reaching out to others now to see if we can increase to some of the smaller chains. Our current discount network is TA, Petro, Loves, Road Ranger, SAAP Brothers, Ambest, Kwik Trip and Kwik Star.

On another note, it has come to our attention that some of our fuel card holders have contacted our fuel vendors directly and caused some frustraion for our vendors. Your agreement is directly with TSD not the vendors. Please contact us at 800-275-5089 if you have any questions or concerns. DO NOT contact the vendors. If we we find out that a card member has contacted a vendor directly, we will cancel their card.

Thank you for being a customer and your continued support.

Joy J Hanson CFO TSD Logsitics Inc.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you that have recently received this card, how long after sign up before you received it in the mail? Their website says 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    For those of you that have recently received this card, how long after sign up before you received it in the mail? Their website says 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

Mark

My card took about 4 weeks to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post

Thanks

Mark
    I paid the $20 for quicker processing and got it within a week. We were leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and I wanted to use it. It really does save significant money.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John303 View Post
    I paid the $20 for quicker processing and got it within a week. We were leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and I wanted to use it. It really does save significant money.
    I have no idea about the faster process. Mine took about 4 weeks exactly. I think ESF ( Electronic Funds Source ) does all the back ground financial stuff and that maybe where it slows some. You might have made a good move paying the extra $20 to get yours in time for your trip. It seem others have done it that way for the very same purpose, from what I have read. Enjoy and be safe on your trip..
    Jim T.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
    I have no idea about the faster process. Mine took about 4 weeks exactly. I think ESF ( Electronic Funds Source ) does all the back ground financial stuff and that maybe where it slows some. You might have made a good move paying the extra $20 to get yours in time for your trip. It seem others have done it that way for the very same purpose, from what I have read. Enjoy and be safe on your trip..
    For sure, you'll save that 20 bucks in your first fill up, perhaps a lot more. Unless your first trip is to the end of the driveway (IE, won't be burning much/any fuel), you're almost certainly better off paying for the rush processing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't care what anyone says or does or uses as an excuse . You can not touch TSD EFS fuel card program for saving money. Nothing comes close or is even in the same ball park. No matter what you try and tell yourself as a reason for not using it. Make all the excuse you can think of. You must not like your money to not use it. Have spent the last 5 days using it 2 times a day. I have a small fuel tank. Stopped only at TA or Petros. Saved around .65 to .70 cents a gallon. The worst I have done so far is .62 cents at one of the Petros. Use what you want I always say ,but not having this one as a option ? Really? LOL
    Jim T.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
    Don't care what anyone says or does or uses as an excuse . You can not touch TSD EFS fuel card program for saving money. Nothing comes close or is even in the same ball park. No matter what you try and tell yourself as a reason for not using it. Make all the excuse you can think of. You must not like your money to not use it. Have spent the last 5 days using it 2 times a day. I have a small fuel tank. Stopped only at TA or Petros. Saved around .65 to .70 cents a gallon. The worst I have done so far is .62 cents at one of the Petros. Use what you want I always say ,but not having this one as a option ? Really? LOL
    I'll second that and thanks for starting this thread.
    Many, many great topics here ending up costing extra money on some cool mod or something that makes things easier. I am lucky and there is a TA less then 5 miles from my house. If I'm out doing other errands, the TA is even closer so it's a no-brainer to fill up before the next trip. The going low price in my area is around $2.39. I paid $1.52. WOW

Thanks. It's almost too good to be true. THANKS,,, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    weren’t they going to make an announcement that they were adding more vendors to participate in the program

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast