User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helping keep the rig cooler

We've not been entirely thrilled with the cooling ability of the two AC units in our Solitude. Our permanent site has shade trees on the east facing side (patio) but none on western facing side. I closed the opening under the steps to the bedroom (it is open to the basement and sucks in hotter air) and that helped a bit.

The perfect solution would be for Grand Design to offer a third AC unit on their rigs 40' and up. If we had that capability, I would have one installed. Our other best option was to order custom made sunscreens for the west facing windows. They were easy to install with stainless snaps. You can see out but no one can see in during the day. They darken the interior some but far less than closing the shades or putting foil-type stuff in the windows. We noticed the difference immediately. These things really block the heat on the outside.

Obviously not a great solution for those who move a lot since you'd have to take them off before moving. However, if you stay even a week or more in a sunny, hot location, they are certainly an option to consider. Six of these cost me $360, free shipping from CA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunshades.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	22208
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two a/c units are usually adequate in most fifth wheels, and they require a 50 amp service. If you had another unit, you'd need a second electrical line going to the electrical pole hooked into a 30 amp 110 service.

If the industry does anything, they need scrap the loud a/c-heat pump units sticking up on the roof and install two mini-split heat pump units in fifth wheels. They're incredibly efficient and so quiet too. They could run the piping down the ducts and hang the compressor unit high on the rear end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Two a/c units are usually adequate in most fifth wheels, and they require a 50 amp service. If you had another unit, you'd need a second electrical line going to the electrical pole hooked into a 30 amp 110 service.

If the industry does anything, they need scrap the loud a/c-heat pump units sticking up on the roof and install two mini-split heat pump units in fifth wheels. They're incredibly efficient and so quiet too. They could run the piping down the ducts and hang the compressor unit high on the rear end.
    Well, what you say is absolutely not the case. There are thousands of RV's with 3 roof top AC units with 50 amp service running just fine. Our previous RV was a 42' diesel pusher with 3 15k BTU roof heat pumps and we ran all three of them on 50 amp service, along with all the other electrical stuff in the rig. You can ride around the large RV park we are in now and see motorhomes and longer 5th wheels with 3 roof AC units all on 50 amp service. I just saw a Grand Design Momentum with 3 AC's, a Venom and another 5th wheel brand (all were toy haulers) with 3 roof AC units.

50 amp service is really 50 amps per leg so you really have 100 amps. All Grand Design would have to do is install another 20 amp breaker and run some 12/2 romex to a roof vent in the middle of the coach. I have two 20 amp breakers not in use....one for a dishwasher and one for a clothes washer. If I could get some romex run to the galley roof vent, I would install a 3rd AC just to have the extra capability if needed.

I do agree on the mini splits. That would seem to be a good alternative for larger 5th wheels. Efficient and quiet. I suspect it won't happen on mass produced units due to cost since they all seem to be in a race to build them as cheaply as they can. I would think you could get Horizon custom built with a mini split.
    Last edited by KirbyRVA; 08-28-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it cool sufficiently when you dump the air? If so , remove the inside covers and check the outlet ducts. Three out of four on ours had tape covering about 25% of the ducts. I cleaned all that up , retaped the outlets , and sealed up the divider better. We haven’t been on the road since I did all this , but hoping it helps. Ours will get up to around 75* when sitting in the sun and it’s upper 90’s.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please read my write up about how to make sure that divider bar should be positioned, and how to make sure your ducts are taped properly. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...932#post238932

Another thing you can do is to install automotive window film. I installed 20% ceramic window film on all the windows.

After fixing the ac and installing the window film, we have no problem getting the trailer down into the low 70’s on a 100 plus degree day.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

We have the same trailer as you do. We have spent most of this summer in full sun in Waves, NC & Virginia Landing without any cooling issues. In fast we just leave both AC units on low auto @ 74 and it holds without running full time. We do close the vents on the AC units so it all goes into the ducts.

There has to be something wrong with your units or ducting.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mntbikejack View Post
    Hi,

We have the same trailer as you do. We have spent most of this summer in full sun in Waves, NC & Virginia Landing without any cooling issues. In fast we just leave both AC units on low auto @ 74 and it holds without running full time. We do close the vents on the AC units so it all goes into the ducts.

There has to be something wrong with your units or ducting.
    I agree, might be worth checking the units. Had my 375 out for 4 days on Fathers Day weekend in San Antonio. It was sunny and 97-98 daytime and 80 at night. My 2 ac's kept it at 72 inside on high auto and did not run constantly. Trailer was in the sun from about 10am on each day.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought either the same kind or something very similar to what you did. I love them and so does the wife. Well worth the money and added privacy.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider