User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram Trucks Greasing Driveshaft U-Joints

The wife alerted me to a facebook posting about Ram truck front driveshafts U-Joints failing because they are not getting greased during maintenance. The information came in a around about way from a dealership master mechanic, said they are seeing more of these failures. Seems when they fail they tear up the transfer case and does damage to the transmission.

The U-joints do not have zerk fittings, they have a recessed pressure point that takes a needle nozzle to insert grease to the joint. Most people and some quick change places don't have these needle nozzles so the joint doesn't get greased.

I got my needle from Amazon, cost about $10, screws on to my normal grease gun steel tube, to switch out the normal grease zerk fitting when I do the RV. Doesn't work too well if your grease gun has a flexible tube, you need three hands. You have to keep pressure on the u-joint fitting to get the grease to go in.
    Might want to crawl under your truck and see if there is any evidence the U-joints are getting greased. Just passing along information.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing. On my 2013 there is sticker under the hood that states to lube every 5000 miles.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, doesn't the front driveshaft only turn while in 4WD? I just wonder how much use it's really getting. I've had mine a year and have not engaged 4WD! I guess I should exercise it a little lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    The wife alerted me to a facebook posting about Ram truck front driveshafts U-Joints failing because they are not getting greased during maintenance. The information came in a around about way from a dealership master mechanic, said they are seeing more of these failures. Seems when they fail they tear up the transfer case and does damage to the transmission.

The U-joints do not have zerk fittings, they have a recessed pressure point that takes a needle nozzle to insert grease to the joint. Most people and some quick change places don't have these needle nozzles so the joint doesn't get greased.

I got my needle from Amazon, cost about $10, screws on to my normal grease gun steel tube, to switch out the normal grease zerk fitting when I do the RV. Doesn't work too well if your grease gun has a flexible tube, you need three hands. You have to keep pressure on the u-joint fitting to get the grease to go in.
    Might want to crawl under your truck and see if there is any evidence the U-joints are getting greased. Just passing along information.
    I have zerks on both drive shafts of my Tundra. I make sure that I grease them every 5000 miles. So far 140,000 miles and no issues. I know a lot of lube shops don't know that they are there that's why I always do the oil change and lube the drive shafts myself.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    That's interesting, doesn't the front driveshaft only turn while in 4WD? I just wonder how much use it's really getting. I've had mine a year and have not engaged 4WD! I guess I should exercise it a little lol.
    My owners manual on my Tundra says to engage and use the 4wd every month so I find a gravel road and use it whenever I can.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you never know what is in your vehicle until you look. My old Dodge Ram has 85K on its original U-joints and suspension components.
    Some U-joints are permanently (as in until they fail) lubed, there are no grease fittings of any kind. However the slip shaft over the splines does have a grease fitting. Remember how you had to take your vehicle in every 3000 miles for a lube and oil change. Probably most new passenger cars and realty light to medium duty trucks have permanent no grease ball joints. Mainly just the rack tie rod ends or drag bar need greased. But then some monkey gets on there and really pumps the grease in blows the seal.

Its probably been 30-35 years since I stopped at a quick change oil place. The last time I did the guy stuck the grease gun on the disk brake caliper bleeder valve, then told me I needed a new one because it wouldn't take grease...... That was the last time I ever visited a quick change place.

I could probably count on one hand the times I used 4x4 on the old Dodge Ram. Of course on the old Dodge its an actual grab handle shifter to pull it in 4 gear. Its nice when you need it! The new 2018 Ram all electronic wizbang dial-a-gear gizmo, used once already, dug itself right out of the mud pulling the Imagine. Never use on dry pavement.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think on mine it turns all the time, its just when in 4 wheel drive it locks the gears in the transfer case.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had read that even the dealerships have problems with this grease fitting.
    Couple of comments I read:
    Greased the U joint today - what a pain! "My dealer put it in writing that I don't have one!"

Dealership Says No Lubricating Front Driveshaft
    "I have the same problem at my local Ram dealer. The first time I asked the tech to grease it he didn't know anything about it. He looked like a deer in the headlights. Spoke with the service manager and the same result."
    "I had to ask my dealership to let me show them. They agreed after telling me no there isn't a spot. Once I showed them they were floored."
    "My dealership didn't try to say it wasn't there. However they know I'm mechanically inclined, so after the lube tech spent 30 minutes looking for the grease point and even went to get help from other mechanics. I helped him out and found it for him, then they didn't have the grease needle."
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I think on mine it turns all the time, its just when in 4 wheel drive it locks the gears in the transfer case.
    Ah ok. Does your truck have the auto/manual locking front hubs? Ford's have it where you can leave them in auto mode and they lock when you put transfer case in 4WD or you can get out and do it manually. I do know the front driveshaft and axles do not turn when in 2WD. If they do on a Ram then that explains the need to lube the u-joint more often.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok. Does your truck have the auto/manual locking front hubs? Ford's have it where you can leave them in auto mode and they lock when you put transfer case in 4WD or you can get out and do it manually. I do know the front driveshaft and axles do not turn when in 2WD. If they do on a Ram then that explains the need to lube the u-joint more often.
    Nope no lockouts on the front hubs. In reading through the links over on the Cummins forum, I guess for the newer Ram trucks the front shaft does not turn constantly, only when in 4x4 does the front drive shaft turn. With something they called CAD, whatever that is. They say you can turn the front drive shaft by hand to help locate the grease fitting pressure point. Never tried that

My old Dodge's were always fulltime with no lockouts on the hubs. I guess this was so you never had to get out and turn the hub lockouts to get into 4x4. Everything was always spinning but Only when in 4x4 did it lock the two axles together. Old 4x4 driveline technology I guess. I remember a lot of guys would retrofit lockouts on the old Dodge front hubs, but then if you didn't use them a lot they would stick and freeze up and then you couldn't turn the lock outs.

When I think about it, the time I used 4x4 on the new Ram, it really narrows the turning radius before you feel the sensation of things binding up. Then when you turn off 4x4 the turning radius widens a bit. I guess that should have told me that things are not moving up there unless in 4x4.

Well in any event, I don't plan on using 4x4 hardly at all but I'll grease the darn thing..........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast