User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven weeks Michigan to Alaska and back today.

Stats; 9,600 miles in a 3/4 Duramax towing a 29RS. 11.4 MPG overall- 15% better in Canada where they don’t add ethanol. Inner bearing failed on the rig and had my fuel filter wiggle loose. My Good Sam covered both incidents. Road we’re rough but doable slow. My rig is stock except for Goodyear Endurance tires.
    All the major high lights, even did Top Of The World. Had a snow storm in Laird Hot Springs that closed the park because of trees falling (wet heavy). We traveled with another couple and had a wonderful time. Cassiar up and Alaskan Highway back. At most we made reservations the day of. This is our sixth trip and Canada and Alaska campgrounds were very open in the late season
    Have a little patience and a sense of adventure and just do it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great time! It’s on our bucket list for hopefully next year. Did you feel rushed in 7 weeks?
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the same trip from Upstate NY and got back 3 weeks ago. Essentially the same route as you though in reverse. Montana to Dawson creek, the Klondike loop, TOW, Kenai, Valdez, Cassiar to Hyder, Jasper, Banff.
    Bought an Imagine 2800bh on the way home but towed a Keystone Bullet 230bhs with '18 F150 EcoBoost. We got lucky in that we had zero issues with either the truck or camper.
    12 weeks, 12,000 miles, $12,000. $3,800 for gas, 9 mpg. The only reservation we ever had was for Denali. While we never had trouble finding a place to stay there were a couple close calls where we got the last available site.

A note of interest, we stopped for gas on the Cassiar highway at Dease Lake. It was the next day that an innocent man was murdered near Dease Lake by those 2 sick kids. When we learned of this in Hyder my wife had a sudden interest in heading home and I tended to agree. We had boondocked that night by ourselves on beautiful secluded spot on the Cassiar. After that (they were still loose) there was no more boondocking.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    Stats; 9,600 miles in a 3/4 Duramax towing a 29RS. 11.4 MPG overall- 15% better in Canada where they don’t add ethanol.
    What does ethanol have to do with diesel?
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shouldn't have ended my previous post without some clarification. Gary is right when he said just do it. It really is the adventure of a lifetime.
    Many of the people we met fly into Alaska and rent an RV then fly home. In my opinion they are missing half of the adventure. We're really glad that we took the opportunity to drive across the country, up through some of the most beautiful country in Canada and through Alaska.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethanol has nothing to do with diesel - he must have a gas burner
    Russell, Tammi & Daisy from Mississippi
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F-250 SRW 6.7L Powerstroke Crew Cab Platinum
    B & W Turnover/Companion

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvv View Post
    Stats; 9,600 miles in a 3/4 Duramax towing a 29RS. 11.4 MPG overall- 15% better in Canada where they don’t add ethanol.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    What does ethanol have to do with diesel?
    Nothing... maybe @Garyvv meant to say “biofuel”. However he’s not correct about that either... diesel varies in quality here in Canada just as it does in the U.S. so maybe he got lucky or was using a single regional fuel retailer with good fuel on his journey. Just like in most of the U.S., Canadian retailers don’t have to post a cetane rating for their fuel, and in most of the country they don’t even have to indicate that their fuel contains bio-fillers, so it’s luck of the draw. And it DOES make a significant improvement when we get a tank of good fuel with low bio-filler content.

Quote Originally Posted by rmoffett View Post
    Duramax is GM’s Diesel engine, not a gas-burner.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-31-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmoffett View Post
    Or he might be thinking biodiesel, a blend of petrol and some gunk derived from soybeans.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it was biodiesel

Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Or he might be thinking biodiesel, a blend of petrol and some gunk derived from soybeans.
    By way of confirmation of the affect the biodiesel had on my mileage, my buddy that has a ford 3/4 diesel experienced the same decrease in stateside biodiesel. At one older station in Minnesota the pump didn’t have the biodiesel sticker and both of our mileage went back to the 11.4 or so.
    Being a old guy and not remembering high school algebra to well, maybe somebody could help with what was the best deal US or Canadian diesel for money spent.
    The variables were $1.43 average per liter Canadian, $2.83 per gallon US, exchange rate of $.77 US = $1.00 Canadian, and as mentioned 15% better mileage non biodiesel.
    Regardless the trip was priceless.
    In answer to a earlier comment, seven weeks wasn’t rushed but out of 48 days on the road about half one night stands. The rest 2-3 nights in Glacier, Iceberg Parkway, Valdez, Seward, Homer, Denali, Top of the World, Laird Hot Springs.
    Skip Anchorage and Fairbanks except for oil change and Wal-Mart.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We saw the memorial outside of Laird for the other two who were killed. Sad, but risk factor is both how you feel and reality odds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast