User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other good thing about putting the Valterra T-58 gate valve on the exit is for our Solitude having 2 gray tanks of 54 gallons; with the gate valve shut and both gray tank valves open, we now have 1 108 gallon tank.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And not mentioned was the fact that it is gray water remaining assuming the black tank was emptied first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manofslip View Post
    So I am one of the many people who have had that surprise of a bunch of water (or other) coming out of my sewer connection after knowing full well I let everything drain the last time I dumped. Now if we knew it is grey water that might be slightly OK but definitely not black water. The amount of water is generally over a pint and definitely not a small cup full. This is an unpleasant surprise I never had in previous campers. I read a lot of people having this issue and the easy solution is putting a gate valve on the sewer connection. I even had the Dealership indicate to me that this happens to a lot with the Grand Designs and they offered the same solution. So with that being said the engineer in me wanted to make sure my waste gates were working correctly. So I did a test.
    • First I cleaned the pipes out using a dryer clean out brush with a rag on it. My goal was to get everything dry. I replaced the sewer cap. After a couple of days the pipe was still dry.
    • The next thing I did was fill up my black tank to ¾ full. I waited 5 days. Still the pipe was dry so I figured my blank tank gate valve was working.
    • The next thing I did was to fill up my grey tank. I had the same result after a few days. The pipe was still dry and no surprises.
    So I am left with the fact that my gate vales are working and the problem is the plumbing after the gate valves. Water is remaining because of the slope of pipes or pockets where the water can not drain. So we could re-engineer the plumbing or just add a gate valve like everyone else. I am opting for the gate valve.

Bonus- So all of the effort was for not. Since there was clean water along with my normal tank concoction of baking soda, Calgon water softener and tank treatment sitting in the tanks for several days, my tank sensors were fully functional immediately after dumping. The 1/3 full light was on previous to my test for both tanks.

I hope this helps those who question what is going on.

Dan
    I have the same problem but mine is the tank valve . After we clean tank from trip I will put camco deodorizer and about 3 gallons water in black tank . The next time I take the cap off I get that blue colored water flow out . There are definitely problems underneath and all I'm doing is deodorizing the drain pipe .

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep

Quote Originally Posted by mgm1121 View Post
    Just leave the cap off. I never get a surprise anymore.
    Thanks sport, I was wondering what those stains were on the concrete pad.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledman248 View Post
    What amount of Calvin and baking soda do you use for tank treatment?
    I dunno how much Calvin Klein softener is required but for Calgon (or Borax) softener about a cup of powder with a cup of Dawn dish soap and a few gallons of water is what most people use. I've used double that of both at times, nothing broke. If you Google "GEO method" you'll find lots of advice about it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgm1121 View Post
    Just leave the cap off. I never get a surprise anymore.
    That's pretty gross.

Given the surprises that have awaited me - both their volume and their chunkiness - if I left the the cap off I'd be fearful that the cap surprise would be replaced with the police officer surprise as I dumped raw sewage going down the road.

Most people should buy the valve, and complain until GD fixes this very basic plumbing problem with their trailers.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I dunno how much Calvin Klein softener is required but for Calgon (or Borax) softener about a cup of powder with a cup of Dawn dish soap and a few gallons of water is what most people use. I've used double that of both at times, nothing broke. If you Google "GEO method" you'll find lots of advice about it.
    Mark or others using the "GEO method".

Where are you getting Calgon water powder softener?

I've been doing the "GEO method" for 5 years or so. I was getting ready to order more Calgon. Amazon want $47.00. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledman248 View Post
    [QUOTwE=manofslip;254589]So I am one of the many people who have had that surprise of a bunch of water (or other) coming out of my sewer connection after knowing full well I let everything drain the last time I dumped. Now if we knew it is grey water that might be slightly OK but definitely not black water. The amount of water is generally over a pint and definitely not a small cup full. This is an unpleasant surprise I never had in previous campers. I read a lot of people having this issue and the easy solution is putting a gate valve on the sewer connection. I even had the Dealership indicate to me that this happens to a lot with the Grand Designs and they offered the same solution. So with that being said the engineer in me wanted to make sure my waste gates were working correctly. So I did a test.
    • First I cleaned the pipes out using a dryer clean out brush with a rag on it. My goal was to get everything dry. I replaced the sewer cap. After a couple of days the pipe was still dry.
    • The next thing I did was fill up my black tank to ¾ full. I waited 5 days. Still the pipe was dry so I figured my blank tank gate valve was working.
    • The next thing I did was to fill up my grey tank. I had the same result after a few days. The pipe was still dry and no surprises.
    So I am left with the fact that my gate vales are working and the problem is the plumbing after the gate valves. Water is remaining because of the slope of pipes or pockets where the water can not drain. So we could re-engineer the plumbing or just add a gate valve like everyone else. I am opting for the gate valve.

Bonus- So all of the effort was for not. Since there was clean water along with my normal tank concoction of baking soda, Calgon water softener and tank treatment sitting in the tanks for several days, my tank sensors were fully functional immediately after dumping. The 1/3 full light was on previous to my test for both tanks.

I hope this helps those who question what is going on.

Dan
    What amount of Calvin and baking soda do you use for tank treatment?[/QUOTE]

I use a cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of liquid Calgon (Walmart).

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Mark or others using the "GEO method". Where are you getting Calgon water powder softener? I've been doing the "GEO method" for 5 years or so. I was getting ready to order more Calgon. Amazon want $47.00. KEN
    It is getting harder - used to be in EVERY grocery store - but I've had pretty good luck getting Borax (the same thing) at nearly every Walmart I've shopped for it. Also found Borax in some grocery stores. And here's a listing at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/20-Mule-...0201/202885877

For my Canadian compatriots, here's a listing at Canadian Tire:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/2...=aw.ds#store=1
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-08-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gate valve? Me too...
    Sue & Bill
    Lansing, NY
    2017 Silverado 2500 Duramax High Country
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast