User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Mark or others using the "GEO method".

Where are you getting Calgon water powder softener?

I've been doing the "GEO method" for 5 years or so. I was getting ready to order more Calgon. Amazon want $47.00. KEN
    Ken, Just out of curiosity, I went to Amazon to check price on Calgon. Our price (we’ve had Prime for forever-thru 2x price hikes, at least) for 2 boxes of powder today is $67. Other brand, “Rain-On” were $47 for two boxes. The bottles of Calgon(32oz liquid) are available in singles (WAY overpriced), or in various combinations: packs of 6, 4, 3, and 2. Prime suggests the 3-pack is the best deal, but I haven’t done the math yet.

FWIW, the first trip out with our trailer, our black tank valve refused to budge. After it was replaced (bother! tech said it was seized up and had to be replaced), we asked him how to avoid it happening again. He quickly said we should avoid using any product in powder form, as the gate needs to remain lubricated. We’ve followed that advice since then, and add a half bottle of drain lube before we store it for the winter.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Ken, Just out of curiosity, I went to Amazon to check price on Calgon. Our price (we’ve had Prime for forever-thru 2x price hikes, at least) for 2 boxes of powder today is $67. Other brand, “Rain-On” were $47 for two boxes. The bottles of Calgon(32oz liquid) are available in singles (WAY overpriced), or in various combinations: packs of 6, 4, 3, and 2. Prime suggests the 3-pack is the best deal, but I haven’t done the math yet.

FWIW, the first trip out with our trailer, our black tank valve refused to budge. After it was replaced (bother! tech said it was seized up and had to be replaced), we asked him how to avoid it happening again. He quickly said we should avoid using any product in powder form, as the gate needs to remain lubricated. We’ve followed that advice since then, and add a half bottle of drain lube before we store it for the winter.
    N
    That's crazy pricing! Borax does the same job for about five bucks per box.

As for not using powder, whether or not the advice is sound I've always mixed the powder in a bucket of water, then mixed in the Dawn, before dumping it into the sink or toilet. I've done that because it increases the likelihood that the softener will be completely mixed into the tank liquids and do its job better. I guess liquid softener will do that too, but at a higher price.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found Calgon liquid water softener at just about every Walmart I have been in when I needed it. I have to hunt for it on the bottom shelves, but it is usually there.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Borax for $4.77 at Bi-Mart here in Springfield, Oregon. I don't know what's going on with Amazon trying to supposedly sell Calgon for $67.00. WTH.

I always mix the powder softener in the toilet with the Dawn soap and clean the toilet at the same time. Lots of water is the key. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I found Borax for $4.77 at Bi-Mart here in Springfield, Oregon. I don't know what's going on with Amazon trying to supposedly sell Calgon for $67.00. WTH.

I always mix the powder softener in the toilet with the Dawn soap and clean the toilet at the same time. Lots of water is the key. KEN
    Don’t you love it when two tasks are done in one? Yes, you really have to be aware of what comes up in Amazon searches. For any searched item, if you go to the bottom of the page, you’ll see anywhere from 2-8 pages of items they think match your search. In rare cases, you might find a better deal on a later page, but most of the time, with each page load, the prices get more and more ridiculous! (As if it’s made of gold). I chalk it up to “P.T. Barnum mindset”-somewhere out there is a fool with too much disposable income and very little sense.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem, used the same solution! Works Great!
    2018 Grand Design Reflection Model 29RS Fifth Wheel
    2015 Ford F250 XLT Heavy Duty 4X4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfstreamg5 View Post
    I have the same “leak” issue on our 2019 Solitude 3740bh. Bought two of the Valtera gate valves to solve the issue... Anyone use ABS cement to “lock” the otherwise freely rotating Valtera valves in place ??
    I bought the "slip fit" or glue on Valtera valve, if you take a hacksaw and cut the two tabs off of the outlet that secure the cap or drain hose the new valve will fit over the pipe and can be glued in place. Make sure you sand and clean the pipe and valve glue joints before using copious amounts of ABS glue. That extra valve makes dumping so much easier and surprise free! Coop
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop59 View Post
    I bought the "slip fit" or glue on Valtera valve, if you take a hacksaw and cut the two tabs off of the outlet that secure the cap or drain hose the new valve will fit over the pipe and can be glued in place. Make sure you sand and clean the pipe and valve glue joints before using copious amounts of ABS glue. That extra valve makes dumping so much easier and surprise free! Coop
    Thank you for that information Coop59!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the extra, outer end valve for each 5er we have owned. It is a live and learn experience. I also use a see-through elbow with a clean-out hose fitting on the end and attach the sewer hose to this.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem and bought the Valletta valve. To secure it I drilled a small hole in the pvc and placed a set screw to keep it in place. Easily removed to take off valve if needed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D05BD0D-DDD8-476F-A520-277F1C5D9466.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	967.2 KB 
ID:	22961

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast