User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315rlts 12 Volt Wiring Harness Mess

Wondering if anyone has done a MOD to fix what I think is a 12 volt disaster waiting to happen on 2017 rlts trailers (perhaps the newer trailers don't have the same issues). I couldn't find anything on the forums that specifically addressed it for the 315rlts. HEAR GOES: Doing some wiring to install a booster for my newly added TPMS caused me to really take a close look at the, wiring from the battery to the rest of the coach. I was appalled to find cables and breakers attached to the top part of the frame where they are almost impossible to service and trace yet are exposed to any and all water, and debris that come off the road. Two of the three breakers, were missing covers, with the third one not doing much good. Feeling one of the breaker post that accepts a hot wire from the battery, the nut was finger tight. One of the crimped caps for the white/blue wires (I suspect is one of the electric brake wires), had pulled apart where only 4 wire strands were connected. I would have thought that all this distribution and connection function should have been mounted in the garage out of the weather or at least in some relatively water tight panel or box where it could be serviced and checked once in a while. Although the electrical box that receives and connects the vehicle cable was mounted so it was at least accessible, it has wires that come out various holes without any type of chaffing protection and wires not crimped but twisted with electrical tape. I was less than impressed. Having done many electrical upgrades to my 30 ft boat, I am pretty familiar with how wiring should look and be done so I will do so on my trailer. But not wanting to "reinvent the wheel" I'M ASKING : Have any of you 315 owners or other model owners run across the same thing and actually came up with the fix? If so a picture or two would be wonderful.
    P.S. I've been into the inside panel a couple of times adding 12 volt items and am pleased with how and what GD did inside the panel.
    Bruce & Sue plus 1ea fluffy Chow Chow (Maggie)
    1999 Ford F350 CC Lariat 7.3L diesel Power Stroke
    2017 315 RLTS Purchased Sept 2018
    Reese Straight Line Trunion Weight Distribution
    2000 Mariah Z308 at Bull Frog Marina, Lake Powell

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ihave run into all that and then some on my 2017 315RLTS. One of these
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    will go a long wat toward cleaning up the wiring. Rewire the battery cutoff switch while you're there to make it a true disconnect.

I've been through most of the wiring in this trailer and most wiring techniques are very substandard. Get rid of as many wirenuts as possible, especially the large blues that carry way too many commons. Trouble waiting to happen. Oh yeah, the brake wiring is undersized too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kim, Did or does your 315 have the battery cable attach to breakers on the top of the frame, underneath the cap? And then a few more breakers where the cable goes to the cut off switch and back to service the rest of the trailer?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired engineer, I am appalled by the electrical wiring on my coach. I have a competition with myself to try and find as many different connectors as i can, so far I am up to 5 including the blue beast wire nuts that connect as many as 8 ground wires together, that are minimally wrapped with electrical tape as “protection” I am slowly working through the wiring, starting at the batteries and working backwards. Multiple grounds are separated and reconnected using terminal strips. Battery wires running through unprotected chassis holes where a rub could ground the positive 6 awg to the chassis ground, to the tens of feet of surplus wire just taped up. The domestic 4 square that is-not waterproof that connects the trailer 7 pin to the coach was an easy fix with a new connector box and pigtail from Amazon.
    My battery positive goes red to the battery isolator cut off switch and returns as a black wire. WTHeck!.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 09-01-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Frustration
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    As a retired engineer, I am appalled by the electrical wiring on my coach. I have a competition with myself to try and find as many different connectors as i can, so far I am up to 5 including the blue beast wire nuts that connect as many as 8 ground wires together. I am slowly working through the wiring, starting at the batteries and working backwards. Battery wires running through unprotected chassis holes where a rub could ground the positive 6 awg to the chassis ground, to the tens of feet of surplus wire just taped up. I want the wire contract for GD, I would make a fortune on the amount they use for no reason.
    I'm with you on the wiring. That's why I brought it up. Are you moving terminals into a protected block in the front garage?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollyb View Post
    Thanks Kim, Did or does your 315 have the battery cable attach to breakers on the top of the frame, underneath the cap? And then a few more breakers where the cable goes to the cut off switch and back to service the rest of the trailer?
    There are 2 breakers mounted on the frame. Battery positive went to positive post of a 30a, from that post to battery disconnect, disconnect to positive post of 50a breaker. This kept loads connected to the 30a breaker live even with the disconnect open. The loads connected to 50a breaker were disabled when switch was opened. I ran battery positive through disconnect then to positive posts of breakers to make it a true disconnect. This is a very basic explanation. The break away switch should never be controlled by the disconnect. The linked trailer cord will get rid of the P.O.S. metal junction box full of wirenuts and give a nice weatherproof wiring device. Redo the chassis ground with a proper threaded bolt and tapped hole instead of the self tapping screw. Break out all the commons to a terminal strip. Once you get started you won't want to stop!

Wish I could rip out most of the wiring and do it over. I is a retired 'lectrishun and this stuff drives me nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    There are 2 breakers mounted on the frame. Battery positive went to positive post of a 30a, from that post to battery disconnect, disconnect to positive post of 50a breaker. This kept loads connected to the 30a breaker live even with the disconnect open. The loads connected to 50a breaker were disabled when switch was opened. I ran battery positive through disconnect then to positive posts of breakers to make it a true disconnect. This is a very basic explanation. The break away switch should never be controlled by the disconnect. The linked trailer cord will get rid of the P.O.S. metal junction box full of wirenuts and give a nice weatherproof wiring device. Redo the chassis ground with a proper threaded bolt and tapped hole instead of the self tapping screw. Break out all the commons to a terminal strip. Once you get started you won't want to stop!

Wish I could rip out most of the wiring and do it over. I is a retired 'lectrishun and this stuff drives me nuts.
    You are the best. We both having the same trailer, I figured you have already done everything I've run into. BTW, the "hot hutch" is cured. I used a bunch of what you said and then put a thermostatically controlled computer fan in louvered cover that sends the hot air out into the room. Works like a champ. I didn't want to change out the whole front panel. I already think the furnace is pretty noisy so I did put some insulation up against the front hutch panel. Thanks again for your advice and guidance. You are a big help!!!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollyb View Post
    You are the best. We both having the same trailer, I figured you have already done everything I've run into. BTW, the "hot hutch" is cured. I used a bunch of what you said and then put a thermostatically controlled computer fan in louvered cover that sends the hot air out into the room. Works like a champ. I didn't want to change out the whole front panel. I already think the furnace is pretty noisy so I did put some insulation up against the front hutch panel. Thanks again for your advice and guidance. You are a big help!!!
    You made my day! Glad I could help.��

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    You made my day! Glad I could help.��
    Kim: Is the “hot hutch” you two speak about the heat that constantly builds up in our converter cabinet? And for that matter ALL the cabinets? Drives me nuts as I’m constantly cracking open all the drawers and doors to vent the heat. Especially the pantry as the heat probably isn’t good for food.
    Also Chief do you take your KTM with you in the bed of your truck? If so I’d like pics and loading details as I want to do this with a GS. Thanks and sorry for high jacking the thread.

DD
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin' Dreamers View Post
    Kim: Is the “hot hutch” you two speak about the heat that constantly builds up in our converter cabinet? And for that matter ALL the cabinets? Drives me nuts as I’m constantly cracking open all the drawers and doors to vent the heat. Especially the pantry as the heat probably isn’t good for food.
    Also Chief do you take your KTM with you in the bed of your truck? If so I’d like pics and loading details as I want to do this with a GS. Thanks and sorry for high jacking the thread.

DD
    Duane,

I don't have a problem with heat in the pantry. I suspect that it could be from the water heater as I don't know of any other heat source that far over on the slide. As for the heat in the hutch, yes that is a problem on the 2017s. On advanced search just type in "Hot Hutch" and you will find a all kinds of threads on the problem and the fixes. If that is confusing, I'd be more than happy to share with you what I did.
    As far as the KTM question, you should probably go direct to Kim. I doubt he will monitor this thread.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast