User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If anyone is considering purchasing a Ubiquiti, make sure you get the 2.4 GHz platform instead of the 5 GHz, there’s also no reason to settle for the only slightly less expensive Loco model.

The Nanostation Loco M2 is not the same as the Nanostation M2.
    I have the latter and along with being physically larger, it also has 3x the range (15km vs. 5km) and more power at 11dBi vs. 8dBi.

Last Halloween we were dry camping at 20-Mile Beach BLM in Nevada and I was picking up a hotspot 9 miles away, on the other end of Walker Lake, in Hawthorne.

Sometimes we stay at campgrounds here in the Pacific Northwest that only offer paid Wi-Fi using the Jabba network, and it’s pricey, so we just point our Ubiquiti towards the nearest clubhouse and connect to their free WiFi AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The M2 and Loco M2 are logically the same, just beefier hardware and a secondary ethernet port on the full blown one. I may still get one of those down the road. That range you have seen is pretty awesome!

Tip I got from a guy on reddit who services RV park wifi networks - turn the 2.4GHz power on your inside Access Point down as low as you can or just disable 2.4 GHz all together since it is such a congested and noisy frequency band at any RV park. Given RV construction techniques and ranges needed, 5 GHz should have plenty of adequate wall penetration and range for my needs.

I also threw a kill-a-watt power meter to see what the setup actually draws. Sitting at 20w idle with probably upwards of 25w when loaded with clients and working.
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 09-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Sweet! Unfortunately with the typical RV park WiFi performance it’s going to be like eating Spam on fine china with sterling utensils.
    I've never been to an RV park that had enough bandwidth to make the Wi-Fi any faster than the old AOL dial up. And often its not that fast.

LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a system I’ve been seeking, (or one like it). I’m not a geek, literally I have trouble with simple computer style connection, but not totally out of it. I will look at this closely to see if I could do this for my 5th Wheel. I recently retired and we have went from premium channels to streaming what we want to watch. Will this work for that? And if not, perhaps you can suggest something that would work for me in that regards. Feel free to private message me, as I’m sure to have questions both before and during this project. Thanks for sharing. I’ve look at several options for this without finding a true solution. You seem to be on the right track.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagmaster View Post
    This is a system I’ve been seeking, (or one like it). I’m not a geek, literally I have trouble with simple computer style connection, but not totally out of it. I will look at this closely to see if I could do this for my 5th Wheel. I recently retired and we have went from premium channels to streaming what we want to watch. Will this work for that? And if not, perhaps you can suggest something that would work for me in that regards. Feel free to private message me, as I’m sure to have questions both before and during this project. Thanks for sharing. I’ve look at several options for this without finding a true solution. You seem to be on the right track.
    My setup will work for streaming PROVIDED that the RV park internet service is not atrocious. As noted, my solution makes an awesome private network but the park wifi and internet is still always going to be the main bottleneck
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagmaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    My setup will work for streaming PROVIDED that the RV park internet service is not atrocious. As noted, my solution makes an awesome private network but the park wifi and internet is still always going to be the main bottleneck
    @Jagmaster, everyone's needs are different and some people can get by with really atrocious wi-fi service, service so bad that sometimes sending simple emails is a long and frustrating process. You might be one of those who can be satisfied with this, but know that such bad service is not unusual in RV parks and that's what @cookinwitdiesel and others here are warning about.

Often the service is a *bit* better than that - sending simple emails at the right time of day (when everyone else isn't also doing it) is not too bad, and if that's all you need then maybe wi-fi equipment to improve your connection in RV parks will be worth your investment. A Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 2.4Ghz antenna/radio and a mast/pole for it and a decent (doesn't have to be top-of-the-line like mine) router like the one you may have at home already will have you very well-prepared to use RV park wi-fi, better-prepared than those people using the plug-and-play wi-fi boosters found in RV stores.

However if you want internet service that lets you cruise the web without waiting 10-20-30-50 seconds or more for every page you load, if you want to download files and update software, and especially if you want to stream video from various streaming services, you will pretty much *always* be disappointed using park wi-fi, even if you improve your odds with a system like cookinwitdiesel's or the one that I have. Most of two winter seasons at dozens of places all over the U.S. southwest has proven that to us.

That's why we went the MiFi route and began using cell-based wi-fi (see my previous post). Definitely more expensive because of the monthly fee for cell data plans, but it actually does the job most of the time whereas park wi-fi very often does not. The cell carriers offer various plans - if you don't need a lot of service you can reduce cost by purchasing a more-limited data plan - and the extra cost certainly relieved a lot of frustration for us.

Good luck with your choices.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-08-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup (from one IT geek to another)!

Just curious...why the AirMax Nanostation? UBNT lists those devices as "legacy"...

FWIW - I like the UBNT offerings. I have a AC Pro WAP, and a Pi running the UniFi controller, all fronted with a SonicWall SOHO firewall. However, in the coach, I use a lot of hand-me-down hardware (read: repurposed), connected to an ATT Netgear M1 cell modem (all you can eat plan). Have considered Ubiquiti in the coach, but I just haven't gotten that far yet!

Your post may have pushed me over the edge!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks excellent! Especially when combined with the MiFi device mentioned later here. I trust the MiFi will provide more throughput than my phone's hotspot.
    Will Burt
    Lakewood CO
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2013 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5L
    Equal-i-zer WD hitch 1000#

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks excellent! Especially when combined with the MiFi device mentioned later here. I trust the MiFi will provide more throughput than my phone's hotspot. And certainly more than every park's Wifi that I've been at.
    Will Burt
    Lakewood CO
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2013 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5L
    Equal-i-zer WD hitch 1000#

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureRider View Post
    Nice setup (from one IT geek to another)!

Just curious...why the AirMax Nanostation? UBNT lists those devices as "legacy"...

FWIW - I like the UBNT offerings. I have a AC Pro WAP, and a Pi running the UniFi controller, all fronted with a SonicWall SOHO firewall. However, in the coach, I use a lot of hand-me-down hardware (read: repurposed), connected to an ATT Netgear M1 cell modem (all you can eat plan). Have considered Ubiquiti in the coach, but I just haven't gotten that far yet!

Your post may have pushed me over the edge!
    I had a spare USG-3p which was a good chunk of the total cost on its own and helped this along

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast