User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an IT geek so this might be a stupid question, but how is this different than a wifi booster? We have a Alfa WiFi Camp Pro Kit 2 that allows for a private network in our 5th wheel. We connect 3 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 smart TV's and a wireless printer to it (not all at once since there are only 2 of us). It was only $150 and one small box with an external antenna that I mounted on a 6' pole attached to the ladder.
    Bill & Lisa
    2013 Ford F350 Platinum diesel
    2018 Reflection 303rls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Canadians, we don't qualify for prepaid plans unless we establish a mailing address, but we still have the same demands for cheap internet while traveling north or south of our US/Canada border. As a computer nerd at heart I have built a system that provides the best access for the cheapest $$. My system revolves around a Mofi4500 cellular router (hotspot) which I use a Telus SIM and an ATT SIM cards for cellular connectingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	41n76JFNaOL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	22533. The MoFi4500 is also a dual wifi repeater which will lock on to Campground WiFi and repeat the connection under my own protected SSID for my equipment to tie into automatically. This is good when the Campground wifi is Open or Password protected, however if the Campground wifi utilizes a captive portal interface, then my AWOW NYi3 Fanless Mini PC, Intel Gemini Lake Windows 10 Pro computerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	51DakEGBZ+L._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	22534 which is ethernet tethered to the MoFi4500 is used to sign into the Campground Wifi portal and then it shares the internet via ethernet cable to the Mofi4500 which intern rebroadcasts the connection under my SSID. The MoFi4500 has an automatic switch that will choose the internet source if it fails from either of the four options; SIM, WAN, Repeater WiFi, or Tethered cellphone sourcing. It's complex but it works like a dream.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akgourmet View Post
    I'm not an IT geek so this might be a stupid question, but how is this different than a wifi booster? We have a Alfa WiFi Camp Pro Kit 2 that allows for a private network in our 5th wheel. We connect 3 laptops, 2 cell phones, 2 smart TV's and a wireless printer to it (not all at once since there are only 2 of us). It was only $150 and one small box with an external antenna that I mounted on a 6' pole attached to the ladder.
    They are basically the same thing. The Nanostation gives you more flexibility and is a well respected product, but requires some understanding of network geekery to configure. The Alfa looks like a good alternative for those who aren’t technically inclined.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    They are basically the same thing. The Nanostation gives you more flexibility and is a well respected product, but requires some understanding of network geekery to configure. The Alfa looks like a good alternative for those who aren’t technically inclined.

Bob
    Exactly. I actually bought the Alfa setup and have it on a shelf at home, before I ever got it set up I went ahead and had the idea for this setup which is now built and deployed. I may keep it as an easy travel router setup though or will add it to my ever growing list of stuff I need to sell
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    As Canadians, we don't qualify for prepaid plans unless we establish a mailing address, but we still have the same demands for cheap internet while traveling north or south of our US/Canada border. As a computer nerd at heart I have built a system that provides the best access for the cheapest $$. My system revolves around a Mofi4500 cellular router (hotspot) which I use a Telus SIM and an ATT SIM cards for cellular connecting
    I am really interested in your solution of using the Mofi 4500 for our winter trip to the US this year. I had been planning on getting a Verizon Jetpack wth the unlimited prepaid plan that many people have said is the best option for "unlimited" data. The Mofi appears to be a better solution, although its a bit pricey. I have also read reviews about the problems getting a Verizon account that will work wth the Mofi. What has been your experience using the AT&T data plans? I am looking for a plan that will give me unlimited data through a hotspot and a basic calls/text/data package for my phone.

Does anyone know anything about using Verizon or other unlimited plans with this device? I could also use any advice on hotpot/phone plans in general.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At&t works like a charm with the Mofi. Being a Canadian I have to use the pay as you go plans, so I can't get access to the unlimited ones. The Mofi runs well on my Telus (CDN) as well too.
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kicker with my setup is it functionality on captive portal Wifi sites
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kicker with my setup is it functionality on captive portal Wifi sites
    Thanks for mentioning that. I’m going to try using my MacBook as a router and connect it to my Wi-Fi access point/router via Ethernet using the Mac’s Internet Sharing setting. It should work the same as the Nanostation router and let me log into the captive portal, although I wouldn’t have the advantage of having an antenna on a mast like the Nanostation.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For anyone who is NOT a geek, but looking for a simple plug-and-play solution, you could go with something like a Yagi desktop antenna.
    This unit just plugs into your laptop using a USB cable, then sit it on a table and point it out a window towards the nearest access point.
    You only have to load the driver disk the first time you use it, from then on it's just a matter of plugging it in and pointing it, no need to mount anything or run wiring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-09-10 22_53_57-Window.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	22541

Amazon Link
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At&t works like a charm with the Mofi. Being a Canadian I have to use the pay as you go plans, so I can't get access to the unlimited ones. The Mofi runs well on my Telus (CDN) as well too.
    The Verizon unlimited data plan we used earlier this year for our MiFi device was a *prepaid* plan. I didn't have to give them *ANY* address or contact information to arrange it, let alone a U.S. address.

Other than automatic roll-over from cell service to wi-fi service when cell service is inadequate, I'm missing what benefits you gain for the US$800 or so in equipment and complicated setup that of your system over a simple MiFi device for cell-based data and an antenna and router for wi-fi. What am I missing? Thx.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-11-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast