Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with wedge plate

We have a turning point hitch on our gd fifth Shelley for use with our short bed truck. When the guys at the authorized service center adjusted the plate they didn't use a torque wrench on the bolts. I asked the guy about that and he said that he could tell by feel. After a few trips the plate came loose and moved. When I went to readjust and torque down the bolts I discovered one of the bolts simply would not tighten. At least the first bolt can still be tightened to the correct torque but I'm a little concerned about the second bolt. Anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not good. Any movement of the wedge plate will cause sudden movement of the trailer during moderate to high speed turns (think on/off ramps).

I would go back to the dealer (as much as hate to day it) and force them to replace the pin box.

Only other option that I see is to weld the wedge in place. Don’t like this option, but not sure what other options you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike, Linda, and Shady (terrier mix rescue)

Reflection 150 230 RL with free standing dinette (swapped location of the dinette and the recliners)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali
    B&W Companion Hitch and Turning Point Pin Box locked out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever they do to fix, make sure they torque it to 200 lbs.
    What hitch are you using and what wedge are you using?
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch is a B&W Companion. The pin box is Turning Point with their standard wedge plate. I called GD who opened up a case but said I had to go through the authorized dealer. Called the authorized dealer and their service manager told me he'd call the manufacturer. Said he would get back to me the next day. Called him back the next since I hadn't heard from him. Told me he left a message with GD and was waiting on a return call. Called him up again today and he said he's left multiple messages with a Ray Duffy at GD but hasn't heard back. I then called GD and was sent to someone's voice mail where I left a message with my case number and phone number. Now waiting to hear back. Will probably have to go through this again tomorrow. You'd hope for a bit better service

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitch is a B&W Companion. The pin box is Turning Point with their standard wedge plate. I called GD who opened up a case but said I had to go through the authorized dealer. Called the authorized dealer and their service manager told me he'd call the manufacturer. Said he would get back to me the next day. Called him back the next since I hadn't heard from him. Told me he left a message with GD and was waiting on a return call. Called him up again today and he said he's left multiple messages with a Ray Duffy at GD but hasn't heard back. I then called GD and was sent to someone's voice mail where I left a message with my case number and phone number. Now waiting to hear back. Will probably have to go through this again tomorrow. You'd hope for a bit better service

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I thought I remembered seeing a post where B&W said it only works with their wedge.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-SWW-06.html
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 09-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get a custom wedge later but right now the bolt hole is stripped and as such can not be torqued.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any good welding shop and fix that. They weld in new material them re tap. You might be able to re-tap yourself and go one bolt size bigger.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar