User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    With our old setup (2018 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali and 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS - about 7500# loaded) we saw between 8.5 and 11 mpg depending on the drive. You do not buy a diesel for the mileage usually, you buy it for the power. It will handle towing much more comfortably. There will be a lot of nice deals on 2019 GMCs right now since the new 2020s are coming in. If you can swing the extra cost, I would get the 2020, it has a lot of nice improvements.

I would definitely recommend a 1-ton though, the 3/4 ton diesels just do not have enough payload. My setup was only 300# shy of the truck GVWR (10k#) and it would bounce up and down a lot after any bumps to the point it was making my wife nauseous.

Now we have traded that setup with bouncing for our 5er and chucking
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    I would worry about tires and springs more than axles and bearings on the load ratings. Brakes can also come into play.
    I upgraded my tire to the load range 129 and put airbags to keep my springs from peril. My tires give me a 700 lb cushion to my pin wt according to the Cat scale.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David - I have pulled with both a 2500HD gasser, and a 2500HD diesel, one model year apart. There is a HUGE difference in the towing experience, the diesel being much better. The gasser drove me nuts with that intake howl, for one. We went fron a 2500HD to a 2014 3500 HD diesel dually, and the experience got even better. Now we're in a '18 diesel dually, and I think I'm done buying trucks! You don't need a dually, but if you ever upgrade,,,,,,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last gasser was a F350 with a 460 back in the 90’s, then an E450 V10 gas Class C. I now tow a GD2930RL 5er at 15# GVWR with a F350 6.7L and I’m very happy with the diesel choice. I remember the scary downhills with the gas E450 with high rpm trying to slow the vehicle and not an issue at all now with Diesel engine brake. I also accelerate going up hills in the Sierras or Rockies it I want. My uphill speed is only driven by watching trans temp and not lack of power. I did not have a truck so I was not looking at should I keep or buy. I do not look back on my diesel buy. The only thing I would change in by 2019 F350 CC is I would get the long bed if I could do it over again. I did not appreciate how easy it would be to get around in tight parking lots with the Ultimate Tow Package cameras with God’s eye view. My last F350 CC was a long bed, but long before cameras. I wish I had more room in the bed even though I loose a little in cargo weight capacity. BTW I’m need the limit on a F350 GVWR of 11,400 with the GD2930RL even using a Andersen hitch. I would be over with a Pullrite or Demco.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technojerry View Post
    My last gasser was a F350 with a 460 back in the 90’s, then an E450 V10 gas Class C. I now tow a GD2930RL 5er at 15# GVWR with a F350 6.7L and I’m very happy with the diesel choice. I remember the scary downhills with the gas E450 with high rpm trying to slow the vehicle and not an issue at all now with Diesel engine brake. I also accelerate going up hills in the Sierras or Rockies it I want. My uphill speed is only driven by watching trans temp and not lack of power. I did not have a truck so I was not looking at should I keep or buy. I do not look back on my diesel buy. The only thing I would change in by 2019 F350 CC is I would get the long bed if I could do it over again. I did not appreciate how easy it would be to get around in tight parking lots with the Ultimate Tow Package cameras with God’s eye view. My last F350 CC was a long bed, but long before cameras. I wish I had more room in the bed even though I loose a little in cargo weight capacity. BTW I’m need the limit on a F350 GVWR of 11,400 with the GD2930RL even using a Andersen hitch. I would be over with a Pullrite or Demco.
    If your choice in hitch is the only thing keeping you from being over your trucks limits....you are over your trucks limits regardless of what option you choose.....
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not over either axle or total truck weight. If your definition is being significantly under, then you have a dually and think it is the only way to go. My trailer is 1K# under too. Hitch, slider, is a difference of 400#. That is not a minor thing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technojerry View Post
    I’m not over either axle or total truck weight. If your definition is being significantly under, then you have a dually and think it is the only way to go. My trailer is 1K# under too. Hitch, slider, is a difference of 400#. That is not a minor thing.
    I care mainly about truck GVWR/Payload, as well as axle ratings. A slider hitch weighs 400# more than a normal one? That is a shock to me but I have never had to deal with a slider. I do not think a DRW is the only way to go, I just think it is the right way to go for many many fifth wheels.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123