User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at upgrading our TV have some questions

Good Morning Group, were new here so hopefully this isn't a question that has been asked many times.... but here goes.

We currently have a GMC Sierra 2500HD 2wd, Crew Cab with the 6.0ltr engine and auto trans with Tow Haul Mode... It is a 2007 (short bed 6.6) although we have had it since new we only use it to pull our Jayco 26rks which has a ULVW of 6500lbs 8400 GVWR and we probably don't carry much more that 500lbs.. So, the truck has less than 16,000 miles on it. On a recent trip to the Smokey's (some slight grade of 4% on the way from Nashville we got 9.1mpg (per the truck meter) I know that using the truck MPG numbers are probably off but give me an idea... Not pulling on a recent trip to Canada we got 18mpg.

Now my wife and I are considering a GD Reflection 2600 which is about 9600 GVWR and about 7500 unloaded. So, were thinking of buying a new tow vehicle our local GMC/Chev dealer has some great deals on the 2019 Sierra 3500hd with the diesel engine... and we were thinking that it may be a good time to upgrade to a new TV to go with the new trailer...

Since it seems like there are quite a few folks here towing a larger trailer (in this case just under 10,000) GVWR will the diesel be worth the upgrade... Our truck pulls our Jayco just fine, it just slows a bit and revs high on the hills... but with the tow haul mode kicked in it seems to pull it fine... it goes back to a nice cruiser when not climbing the hills.. Of course the diesel will eliminate some of that screaming engine... and of course going to the 3500 just increases our overall capacity in the event we want to go bigger in the future.

So, My questions.. what can one expect in fuel millage while towing the GD Reflection 2600 moderately loaded? (yes we have a good WD hitch).. although it isn't that important I guess but I'd love to hear what you folks get.. I know wind, road, and alot of other things affect it but in general when towing down the highway at 65mph in moderate conditions what can we expect. We pay $2.19 per gallon for Regular gas.. Diesel is in the $2.90 range so almost 30% more.. so, would we see a 30% increase in fuel milage (frome 9.1 mpg) to the Duramax? And, what do you get when not pulling a trailer?

If we make the jump, I may post our current TV here, it is in great shape, we usually only tow around 200 - 400 mile per trip and average 3 trips a year.. we bought out TT 5 years ago.

Hope to hear some real numbers on what the newer GMC - Chev engines are gettinig and if we really need to jump to a Diesel....

Thanks in advance..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With our old setup (2018 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali and 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS - about 7500# loaded) we saw between 8.5 and 11 mpg depending on the drive. You do not buy a diesel for the mileage usually, you buy it for the power. It will handle towing much more comfortably. There will be a lot of nice deals on 2019 GMCs right now since the new 2020s are coming in. If you can swing the extra cost, I would get the 2020, it has a lot of nice improvements.

I would definitely recommend a 1-ton though, the 3/4 ton diesels just do not have enough payload. My setup was only 300# shy of the truck GVWR (10k#) and it would bounce up and down a lot after any bumps to the point it was making my wife nauseous.

Now we have traded that setup with bouncing for our 5er and chucking
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidki View Post
    Good Morning Group, were new here so hopefully this isn't a question that has been asked many times.... but here goes.

We currently have a GMC Sierra 2500HD 2wd, Crew Cab with the 6.0ltr engine and auto trans with Tow Haul Mode... It is a 2007 (short bed 6.6) although we have had it since new we only use it to pull our Jayco 26rks which has a ULVW of 6500lbs 8400 GVWR and we probably don't carry much more that 500lbs.. So, the truck has less than 16,000 miles on it. On a recent trip to the Smokey's (some slight grade of 4% on the way from Nashville we got 9.1mpg (per the truck meter) I know that using the truck MPG numbers are probably off but give me an idea... Not pulling on a recent trip to Canada we got 18mpg.

Now my wife and I are considering a GD Reflection 2600 which is about 9600 GVWR and about 7500 unloaded. So, were thinking of buying a new tow vehicle our local GMC/Chev dealer has some great deals on the 2019 Sierra 3500hd with the diesel engine... and we were thinking that it may be a good time to upgrade to a new TV to go with the new trailer...

Since it seems like there are quite a few folks here towing a larger trailer (in this case just under 10,000) GVWR will the diesel be worth the upgrade... Our truck pulls our Jayco just fine, it just slows a bit and revs high on the hills... but with the tow haul mode kicked in it seems to pull it fine... it goes back to a nice cruiser when not climbing the hills.. Of course the diesel will eliminate some of that screaming engine... and of course going to the 3500 just increases our overall capacity in the event we want to go bigger in the future.

So, My questions.. what can one expect in fuel millage while towing the GD Reflection 2600 moderately loaded? (yes we have a good WD hitch).. although it isn't that important I guess but I'd love to hear what you folks get.. I know wind, road, and alot of other things affect it but in general when towing down the highway at 65mph in moderate conditions what can we expect. We pay $2.19 per gallon for Regular gas.. Diesel is in the $2.90 range so almost 30% more.. so, would we see a 30% increase in fuel milage (frome 9.1 mpg) to the Duramax? And, what do you get when not pulling a trailer?

If we make the jump, I may post our current TV here, it is in great shape, we usually only tow around 200 - 400 mile per trip and average 3 trips a year.. we bought out TT 5 years ago.

Hope to hear some real numbers on what the newer GMC - Chev engines are gettinig and if we really need to jump to a Diesel....

Thanks in advance..
    Welcome Davidki,

To your question, about 10-11 towing on level highway, occasionally 12. When not towing, likely a range of 18-20 in perfect conditions on level road. With a 35-36 gallon tank, that gives you a fair range also.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our situation isn't exactly comparable since we pull a 14,000 lb. (per the scales) fifth wheel, but our numbers are not far off from what's being reported. Our 2013 Sierra 2500HD CC SB Duramax/Allison got an average of 10.5 MPG coast-to-coast and gulf-to-Canadian-border towing. It would get as much as 19 MPG on the highway while not towing. Our 2012 F350 DRW CC LB with the 6.7 PowerStroke gets almost exactly the same mileage towing but about 17.5 on the highway not towing. While both trucks have/had the same rear end ratio, the Sierra had the OEM 20" wheels and tires, effectively gearing it a bit taller, while the F350 DRW has the 17s.

As far as going from gas to diesel, there is no contest while towing. If you think you might ever go bigger, load heavier, or range a bit farther west, the diesel is a good investment. It would be more expensive to go gas now and have to upgrade again than it would be to just bite the bullet and get a diesel now. (BTW, I LOVE the Duramax!)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for their information... I completely understand that Gas/Diesel isn't about the mileage it's about the power but I just wanted to ask what the newer diesels were getting.. years back it was about the mileage when looking at the diesel. Of course, when looking at the trucks the numbers are all over the place and usually too high.. so I appreciate the real world feedback on the diesels and the milage with and without your two vehicle.

Our current set up with our GMC gasser works.. and so far has pulled us just fine just a bit slow and loud when going up the grades. I have been going to the 89 octane fuel when I put the trailer on the back and that is running around $2.50 range per gallon, so that takes me up closer to the Diesel cost.

I've only driven a diesel a few times when the guy that cuts our hay comes over to pick up the hay.. he has a Ford 350 with the older diesel and I can feel the difference in the torque even then. Believe me, I am looking hard.. even went to the local GMC-Chev dealer (that is closed today) this morning to look at the 2019 inventory.. found some beauties... right now, there are top of the line MSRP 72,000 tags on sale for $59,000 area..They were all 3500hd's we focused on and, that's a big discount and, since I am a current GMC customer who knows, I may even get more! I"l keep looking and will use the 10-11mpg as a number for now...

Since we usually drive the truck for trips and pulling it means our truck sits a lot.. (our 2007 just turned 15,000 like I said, but saying that wee put about 2,000 of those this year alone on a personal trip (with out the TT to Canada and back) So my concerns is if a diesel sits.. my wife and I both drive new Subaru outbacks (30+ mpg) as our daily drivers. So, the truck has a habit to sit.. I keep a fuel stabilizer in the gas truck as suggested by our mechanic.

Now we have just found another GD Refection we just ran across it is a Grand Design 287 rlts that seems like a great layout.. One thing we are concerned about is the HUGE refrigerator in the slide.. I"ve seen other forums for other TT's about the weight in the slide. We don't really need that big of a fridge so we need to see what the options will be, but it will still be in the slide.

So the hunt is on.. keep adding and including what ever info you want, I am learning as fast as I can :-) I"ve added a couple of pics of our last get away in the Smokey's a week or so agp

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190820_113634.jpg   20190820_113701.jpg  

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting premium gas in an engine that does not call for it will not gain you much. The higher octane just means that the gas will not spontaneously combust at a higher pressure such as is present with a forced induction (super/turbo charger) or high performance engines often seen in sports/luxury vehicles. So you could save some money in the mean time that way....put it into the diesel engine fund
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Putting premium gas in an engine that does not call for it will not gain you much. The higher octane just means that the gas will not spontaneously combust at a higher pressure such as is present with a forced induction (super/turbo charger) or high performance engines often seen in sports/luxury vehicles. So you could save some money in the mean time that way....put it into the diesel engine fund

So, when I use the "Mid Grade" 89 vs the 87 I think (maybe that's all) that I"m getting a little more power, but your right, I have been told that the computer works just fine with 87... .so, thanks for that.. I sill now start my diesel fund :-)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will be happier with the diesel option. I have 2019 Ford F350 with the diesel pulling a 303RLS fifth wheel with a GVWR of 12,000 lbs. While I chose a Ford, the GM 3500 Duramax will be a great choice. Everyone knows about the torque of the diesel for pulling but also one of the big advantages of the diesel is the exhaust brake. Everyone talks about the exhaust brake on those long steep grades on the interstate but it also shines for those steep curving mountain secondary roads. With tow haul and the exhaust brake selected it will activate the exhaust brake and downshift to maximize exhaust braking when braking for curves or even in town when slowing for a turn or stopping for traffic lights. The diesel will also give you more range before fueling and allow you to use the truck lanes at a truck stop. A good amount of my towing is in the mountains and I really do keep smiling when towing with my diesel.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I upgraded from a 1500 I didn't want any limitations due to my tow vehicle, so went with the 3500 DRW Duramax. Towing the 312 I get about 11.5 mpg. I would guess with a gas engine that would be around 8 mpg. The Duramax is a beast, tows the TT with ease and the DRW's make it very stable. The other side of the coin is if you are out of warranty and need an engine repair, it can be a major cost. The DEF and extra cost for oil changes are negligible.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after a lot of thought and looking at a total cost.... we have decided to keep our current Tow Vehicle.. although it is a 2007 gas we only have 15,000 miles on it. Like I said above, it is a GMC 2500hd crew cab with the gas 6.0 ltr engine with a 6 speed heavy duty transmission and towing option... 2wd rear with ltd sllip and 3.73 rear end it is a fully loaded truck, leather and in Perfect condition. Specs are 9200 GVWR, 10,000 max trailer and GCWR is 16,000 lbs We tow our Jayco 26RKS it is a ULVW of 6450 as delivered from the factory.... we probably only load up a few hundred pounds when we travel, some in the truck, some in the trailer. ( I did weight the truck with a full tank of gas and my wife and myself according to the scale, we come in at about 5950lbs). Driving down the road at 65mph I don't even know the trailer is back there... when we hit a hill (they are not that big here in Tn... maybe 4% max in Tow Haul mode, the truck does what it is suppose to do... crank the RPMs up to 4300 RPM (max hp rate) and just chugs up the hill drinking as much gas it can). but, we get up the hill pretty well... comminig down the hill the engine brakes works great and we get back on the straight away and again, don't even know the Trailer is back there.... We go out 2 or 3 times a year.. .our trips are usually not more that 200 - 300 miles one way and 95% on flat roads.... and, we just fly along just fine.

So, this weekend, we went and looked at a Grand Design 287 RLTS... ULVW is 7200 lbs.... and if we loaded it the same... we would probably add a few hundred pounds if that were the numbers.. .we would probably be at 7500 lbs.. Still 25% under the Total trailer weight and way below the GCWR.... yep, it would be slow up the hill and we would have the 4300 RPM roar for the time we were going up the hill... but I think we would be just fine... How about you?

I thought I'd ask if there are any on here that still pull with a Gas TV, and if you have anywhere close to the numbers we have... what your thoughts are...

I am going to call a place this week... they are a shop that change a Rear end to 4.11... .but a friend of mine said that isn't what he would suggests becausee it would lower our gas millage all the time an since we don't tow that much that I should just stay with the 3.73...

OK, so, I know that everyone would say... .Get a Diesel.. .but I did go look at them.. $60 or 70,00 for a car just to tow a few times a year just does not make good "Money Sense" to me.... by the time I'd buy a trailer for about $100,000 Just not something I want to do... (Id rather buy a new tractor for our farm) ...

But, I'd like to hear from others pulling with a gaser.. I know and realize the diesel would be so much better... but again.. towing less that 1500 miles in a year just doesn't pen out for me!

Thanks in advance for any feedback... and I look forward to hearing your experience.. .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast