User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Good Idea, which Honeywell Tstat did you use? Any Wiring issues? Did you have to step up your Voltage to 24 volts?
    I used this Canadian model (Model #RTH5160D1016/E) which is (RTH5160) at Home Depot in the US. My AirXel thermostat was not mounted as the manufacturer suggested, the Grand Design installers opened the thermostat up and screwed the back to the wall through two holes they drilled and then reattached the front to the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190314_122857.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	22330

The existing wires were as follows: Red wire to R, White wire to B, Orange wire to GL, Brown wire to GH, Yellow wire to Y, and Green wire to W. The red wire is 12V+, the white wire is Ground, the orange wire is the low speed fan trigger, the brown wire is the high speed fan trigger, the yellow wire is the Air-conditioner trigger, and the green wire is the Furnace trigger. Cap the White wire as it is not needed. Choose to use either the low speed or high speed fan and cap the unused fan wire of your choice.

Take your new thermostat attach the Red wire to R leave the jumper switch on the new stat in the 1 R wire position, connect the Yellow wire to Y, connect the Green wire to W, connect whichever you chose for your fan speed (low or high) to G, add batteries to the new thermostat mount it to the wall and run through the setting selecting the automatic switchover configuration. From the menu select Auto setting, set your desired temperature press done and walk away you are done. If the temperature inside the trailer rises above your set temperature the Air-conditioning will come on, and if the temperature falls below the set temperature your furnace will start up.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cqyqte View Post
    I used this Canadian model (Model #RTH5160D1016/E) which is (RTH5160) at Home Depot in the US. My AirXel thermostat was not mounted as the manufacturer suggested, the Grand Design installers opened the thermostat up and screwed the back to the wall through two holes they drilled and then reattached the front to the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190314_122857.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	22330

The existing wires were as follows: Red wire to R, White wire to B, Orange wire to GL, Brown wire to GH, Yellow wire to Y, and Green wire to W. The red wire is 12V+, the white wire is Ground, the orange wire is the low speed fan trigger, the brown wire is the high speed fan trigger, the yellow wire is the Air-conditioner trigger, and the green wire is the Furnace trigger. Cap the White wire as it is not needed. Choose to use either the low speed or high speed fan and cap the unused fan wire of your choice.

Take your new thermostat attach the Red wire to R leave the jumper switch on the new stat in the 1 R wire position, connect the Yellow wire to Y, connect the Green wire to W, connect whichever you chose for your fan speed (low or high) to G, add batteries to the new thermostat mount it to the wall and run through the setting selecting the automatic switchover configuration. From the menu select Auto setting, set your desired temperature press done and walk away you are done. If the temperature inside the trailer rises above your set temperature the Air-conditioning will come on, and if the temperature falls below the set temperature your furnace will start up.
    Thanks for the detailed Install info !!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could a person mount a switch for low and high fan?
    If so where would a person connect the switch to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From "G" on the thermostat connect a wire to the common terminal on a DPDT switch, then run the Orange wire from the trailers HVAC wires to one of the two terminals of the switch, and then run the Brown wire from the HVAC wiring to the other terminal of the switch. This way in one position of the switch, the Orange wire is connected to the "G" terminal and in the other position the Brown wire is connected to the "G" terminal, giving you the ability to choose high or low fan based on the position of your additional switch.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...editprofilepic
    2019 Grand Design 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 I6 Cummins Diesel
    Tottenham, ON Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for this detailed info! Our Airxcel thermostat although functional feels like the temperature gauge is off and we want a better quality thermostat. This is perfect info.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a 2019 reflection 297 with an airxcell 9430-3382 mounted by the factory under the "kitchen" cabinets. During the day the temp appears to be accurate to actual temp in coach, (use a freestanding thermometer to verify) but at night it is off by 8-10 degrees. Higher. So if we set the furnace for 68 degrees during the day it comes on when the coach drops below 68, no issue. Goes off at 69 or 70 which is normal. At night, not the case. airxcell reads 74 when it is really 64 in the coach. I can jack the setting up to 75 or higher and the furnace comes on, just seems strange to be so off at night. With nights getting down into the teens and 20's this is very uncomfortable.
    Anyone have this issue or any ideas? Guessing replacing the unit is the best solution but figured I would ask.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfyukon View Post
    Have a 2019 reflection 297 with an airxcell 9430-3382 mounted by the factory under the "kitchen" cabinets. During the day the temp appears to be accurate to actual temp in coach, (use a freestanding thermometer to verify) but at night it is off by 8-10 degrees. Higher. So if we set the furnace for 68 degrees during the day it comes on when the coach drops below 68, no issue. Goes off at 69 or 70 which is normal. At night, not the case. airxcell reads 74 when it is really 64 in the coach. I can jack the setting up to 75 or higher and the furnace comes on, just seems strange to be so off at night. With nights getting down into the teens and 20's this is very uncomfortable.
    Anyone have this issue or any ideas? Guessing replacing the unit is the best solution but figured I would ask.
    Thanks
    Your coach came with the "nocturnal thermostat" option. This option is so rare that even Google won't return an accurate description if you search for the term "nocturnal thermostat".

All kidding aside; you probably have a heat source either just below, or behind the thermostat mounting location.

I assume your Tstat is mounted on an inside wall, central to the coach. Is there a heat source that you use at night that you don't use during the day? I am thinking; fireplace, vaporizer or humidifier, maybe a potpourri warming pot, anything that creates heat that can accumulate under the cabinet. If none of those things are present, think about what's behind the wall, could you have a hot water line running behind the wall, is the Tstat close to the refrigerator vent or some other type of vent. Is there anything below the location that is creating heat that is able to accumulate behind the wall like the furnace or water heater.

Is it possible you are using an electric circuit that you don't use during the day, say an electric blanket or a C-Pap machine? If this is the case, perhaps there is an electric wire that is running behind the Tstat that is getting hot (Very bad news if this is the case, but highly unlikely).

If you have one of those "Laser" type thermometers where you can point it at the area around the Tstat you should be able to find the source of the heat. If not try pointing a small fan at the Tstat and running it on low speed to force "room temp" air around the thermostat and see if that fixes your problem.

There is something you are running, or not running (like a circulating fan), that is/is not being run at night. Find that difference, and you will find your fix.

Please let us know what you find, I am very curious.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked for all of that. It is mounted on the wall shared with the bathroom. Only thing in the bathroom on the same wall is an upper cabinet and the actual toilet. Water lines,etc are on the opposite bathroom wall. Mounted next to it is the maxx aire fan control and 10 inches below is an electric outlet. Checked wiring and nothing behind the airxcell. Electric wiring and control wires for fan are on the opposite side of the units.
    The furnace is directly below. separated by 2 drawers and a counter top. I focused on that as the issue first, but since the furnace never comes on due to the temperature reading issue, don't see that being the cause... furnace vents directly outside, but realize heat could rise inside and create a false reading on the wall, but again with the furnace not coming on I am at a loss for the heat issue being a cause.
    I have played around with it during the day and tested having the furnace on and unfortunately it does not seem to change any of the readings, the thermostat reads exactly the same as the independent thermostat, so could almost rule out the furnace creating a false reading.

To further the test, I removed the thermostat and have it hanging in open air today. Will see what happens tonight- it is no longer attached to the wall and at least 8 inches away from the wall and in mid air so we shall see.
    Thanks for the suggestions, will let you know what happens tonight...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    All kidding aside; you probably have a heat source either just below, or behind the thermostat mounting location. I assume your Tstat is mounted on an inside wall, central to the coach. Is there a heat source that you use at night that you don't use during the day? I am thinking; fireplace, vaporizer or humidifier, maybe a potpourri warming pot, anything that creates heat that can accumulate under the cabinet. If none of those things are present, think about what's behind the wall, could you have a hot water line running behind the wall, is the Tstat close to the refrigerator vent or some other type of vent. Is there anything below the location that is creating heat that is able to accumulate behind the wall like the furnace or water heater.
    That's a great thought! In our fifth wheel (different kettle of fish) the base of the wall behind the thermostat is thick wood with two holes that are well-filled by wiring. However it's all-too-easy to imagine it being more carelessly-assembled and vulnerable to the high heat generated by the furnace in the utility area. @Wolfyukon's travel trailer might be vulnerable in this way too.

EDIT: @Wolfyukon I posted this before seeing your immediately-preceding post. The furnace often makes the utility area VERY warm, and if it comes on and that heat rises into the cavity behind the wall it could have a lasting effect. But I hear you... it's not coming on at all. Running out of ideas! Do you/partner take long showers before bed? Hot water heater heat flowing for a while maybe? Good mystery, thanks!
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast