User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Better TV & Sound Bar Remote IR Receiver.

Now I don't have to raise my arm up when using the TV remote to either change the channel on the TV or the volume on the sound bar....

I used this from Amazon.

And I did this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 9.58.29 AM.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	674.8 KB 
ID:	22294

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 10.05.36 AM.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	913.9 KB 
ID:	22295

I used that particular IR Extender because I wanted 2 IR blasters for the TV and 2 for the sound bar. It plugs into the TV's USB port for power or comes with an AC adapter if you prefer to do that. It works great. and now, lazy me, doesn't have to lift an arm to change channels or volume; yep... getting smarter (aka lazier) everyday.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

I used that particular IR Extender because I wanted 2 IR blasters for the TV and 2 for the sound bar.
    Why 2 each?
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally wanted a blaster that is mounted on an extension that hit both TV and Soundbar simultaneously that I could put in the small recess in front of the front TV well. But it wouldn’t flash the TV sensor enough because it’s sort of recessed above the sound bar. So I chose one with small emitters and since the one I selected had 4 I used all four. Sometimes with just one there is interference or you have to be ultra precise (as in the case if VIP277 Dish sat receivers).

When I do this for folks who put equipment inside a cabinet I use a type with a much larger emitter/blaster instead of multiple small ones.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    It plugs into the TV's USB port for power or comes with an AC adapter if you prefer to do that.
    So I bought one and here I am in the north woods of Wisconsin trying it out. First I plugged the unit into the TV's USB port. That works fine once you've powered on the TV, but until you do, the USB port is not powered. So if you choose that power option, you need to get line-of-sight to the TV's sensor to power on the TV, and only then can you sit back and control the TV without line-of-sight to the TV's sensor.

What worked better for me was to use the included AC Adapter and plug the blaster unit into the available receptacle that power's the TV (it's behind the TV in the "well.") With this power option, the blaster works to power the TV on without line-of-sight to the TV sensor -- and once the TV is on, the rest of the remote functions don't need line-of-sight either. Cool.

So how did you secure the blaster unit wires. Just tape the wires in place? Staples? Seems that tape would need to be redone periodically.

Thanks.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    So how did you secure the blaster unit wires. Just tape the wires in place? Staples? Seems that tape would need to be redone periodically.

Thanks.

-Steve
    A small dot of silicone holds well and does not cause damage.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,
    I thought that would be the case (USB powered only when TV is on). I think when I first turn the TV on I am generally standing so maybe it is hitting the TV and Sound Bar directly.

I used some black RTV Sealant (automotive type silicone) on the wires about every 6 inches for the blasters for the sound bar. It's hard to see the wires because of the angle of the photo showing the transmitters but they run along the front of the TV well from the center to the left side of the well. Also note that the photo of the transmitters is looking down and that instead of seeing down into the TV well you see a black board (looks grey in the photo) between the front of the well and the front bottom of the sound bar. I added that board when I installed the sound bar to eliminate some echo from the sound bar coming from the TV well. So I was able to run the wires along the front edge of the TV well and across the top of that board I installed.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the interesting mod. I add the Infrared Remote Extender System to the buy sometime list.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021