User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing Our New 295RL - Need Advice

I winterized our old TT for six years with no issues, but this will be my first time winterizing our new 295RL. I have the Nautilus P1 instructions, and some questions that I'm looking for help with:

1 - The Nautilus instructions say to use an air compressor to blow out the lines, before pushing antifreeze through the lines. Is it really necessary to do both, or can pushing antifreeze by itself through the lines do the job (without blowing out the lines)?

2 - I understand the instructions to put antifreeze through the black tank flush, and in all the P traps. Are there any other recommendations, not covered by the Nautilus instructions?

3 - About how many gallons of antifreeze are needed to winterize a 295RL?

4 - Any recommendations on an air compressor and necessary fixtures to purchase (I don't have an air compressor at this time)?

5 - Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don
    Reflection 150 Series 295RL

2017 Ford F250, 6.7 Liter V8 Turbo Diesel, 4WD, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Tow Package, 440 HP, 925 lb/ft Torque, 15,400 lb Towing Capacity, Max Payload 2,250 lbs

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blowing out the lines with air is the best method. This removes most if not all of the water. With out removing the water the water will dilute the antifreeze. This is not a necessary step but lowers the amount of anti freeze that is needed. Any small air compressor will work, it is best that it has a way to regulate the pressure that is being out put into your panel , 40 pounds is about enough. You will need an adaptor that will screw into the panel where you attach your fresh water hook up that will have a tire valve on the end. You will also need a tire inflator for the air compressor , also called an air chuck. Set the panel to city water (I think) then add some air pressure, then starting at the farthest point , the spray port connection at the rear of the trailer (if you have one) , start letting the water out. You will have to add air pressure a few times , when it quits coming out of the spray port move to the next closest and so on. When this is done use the winterize setting to add the antifreeze , again starting at the farthest point.
    Your Nautilus instructions will be your friend for this.

Brian

Setting Up Camp 2019RRSDLARIAT337RLS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my 297RSTS last year, I used a small compressor to blow out the lines at its farthest from the rear sprayer, if you have one, kitchen sink, toliet, shower, bathroom sink. Also don't forget the washer and dryer hookup valves if you have one and the spray port at the nautilus control panel. Once the compressor runs out of air, let it build up pressure and repeat the same process 3-4 times to be safe to make sure that no water comes out anywhere. Yes its a little bit of an overkill to run back and forth doing that, but its better to be safe than sorry. Also turn your control valves to power fill and blow that out also and hook up to the fitting to the sewer tank flush and blow that out. Thats how I did it and I did not use antifreeze in the lines. Only in the sink drains and also pour some in the toilet above the flap so the rubber seal can stay conditioned. If you want, you can put antifreeze in the drain where the washer and dryer hookup. Lastly don't forget the plug on the hot water heater and remove the low point drain caps and store them somewhere. I've done what I mentioned and didn't have any issues. I am not a fan of the nautilus system either but I had to get used to it. Using antifreeze in the lines just gives you extra piece of mind and if you want to pump it through the lines look in your manual.
    Irf & Amy & Our Doggo/Furkid Mr. Brody, 2020 Reflection 337RLS, 2nd AC Added, 2019 Ruby Red/Stone Grey Accent CCSB Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate 6.2 Gasser, 4.30 Gears, Andersen Ultimate Hitch, Traded in: 2019 297RSTS And 2018 F150 CCLB 5.0 3.73 Ruby Red/Stone Grey Accent

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot and will add this. I put at least 3 gallons of antifreeze into a five gallon bucket than place inside the door by the panel and use a short piece of hose to siphon into lines. This save from changing bottles all the time, leftovers can be poured back into jug.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never blow my lines. I use the antifreeze. Go to all ports and run until it is nice and pink. That also fills my drains. Maybe I’ll pay some year but it works well for me. I have a 29 RS and it takes about a gallon and a half of anti-freeze.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 so there will obviously be some differences

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    I winterized our old TT six years with no issues, but this will be my first time winterizing our new 295RL. I have the Nautilus P1 instructions, and some questions that I'm looking for help with:

1 - The Nautilus instructions say to use an air compressor to blow out the lines, before pushing antifreeze through the lines. Is it really necessary to do both, or can pushing antifreeze by itself through the lines do the job (without blowing out the lines)? We have used both air and RV anti freeze. You can buy an air inlet which will screw directly in to your fresh water and black water inlet. RV anit freeze is cheap protection. I empty the hot water heater, drain the fresh water tank, open all low point drains and then follow manufacture instructions to winterize

2 - I understand the instructions to put antifreeze through the black tank flush, and in all the P traps. Are there any other recommendations, not covered by the Nautilus instructions? I have never winterized my black tank flush. I pour anti freeze directly in to the toilet (about a gallon as it is very cheap
    3 - About how many gallons of antifreeze are needed to winterize a 295RL? My 303 takes about 1.5 gallons.
    I usually buy it in the 2.5 gallons jugs

4 - Any recommendations on an air compressor and necessary fixtures to purchase (I don't have an air compressor at this time)? I own a air compressor so I can refill my tires. Purchase one which will exceed you max PSI on your TV or trailer tires by at least 20 psi, whichever is higher. The ability to blow out your RV lines is a side benefit

5 - Any other recommendations? Don't stress, You tube and google are your friend, enjoy your RV, safe travels

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Prior to the first trip in the spring, I sanitize all lines and freshwater tanks. Obviously a different thread

D
    on
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired