Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel truck winter storage

I scanned through some search history and didn't see anything that popped up.

So, no s*** yet, and hopefully have a few months, but with the camping season just about over for us the need for my truck will go down to just about nothing. My last truck didn't leave the garage from November to April to avoid the salt. I would like to do this with my new truck as well to keep it nice but concerned with diesel sitting that long. With the gas I just filled up with non-ethanol, some Stabil and a battery tender and called it good.

What is the recommendation from those that store their diesels over the winter? From certain fuel, fuel level, additives and batteries. I know there is a risk of filling up in the late fall and it gelling up if I take it out in the dead of winter without a different fuel blend in it. Or is it better to leave the fuel lower bite the bullet and try and drive it to work once or twice a month and add fresh fuel each time when the roads are in decent shape and give it a bath afterwords?

I am sure there a lot of different opinions, but just want to get a feel for what works for you guys and try and avoid issues with a brand new truck. The garage is insulated and somewhat conditioned and usually stays above freezing.

Thanks for the help!
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I have done since 2001 with my diesels, as I too do not drive them in the winter months, Michigan.
    Change the oil, fill up the fuel tank, put in the garage and shut it off. Battery tender on the battery that feeds the other battery.
    Start it up once a month just to move the oil around. I let it run up to operating temp, then I shut her down again. I have never had an issue with either of these trucks since 2001.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know exactly as I drive my truck in the winter. One thing I do know about is DEF, it can freeze. So don't top off the DEF tank, ideally it would be almost empty. I am assuming sub-zero temps here....
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get the truck out and run a short errand at least once per week. Diesels don't do well sitting for long periods of time.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I would get the truck out and run a short errand at least once per week. Diesels don't do well sitting for long periods of time.
    I’ve left my 06 Cummins sit outside all winter in -30/-40C several years without touching it, no problems. All I did was disconnect the batteries (as long as they’re fully charged they’ll be fine). I just had to wait for a nice warm day to fire it up!