User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upholstery replacement

Hello all,

I have a 2015 Reflection that just started the dreaded deteriorating "pleather" on my living room couch and bunk house bench. I know warranty is not an option......is everyone taking the components to upholstery shops and having them recovered in something closer to real leather?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess the cost to recover would rival the cost of a replacement piece from a traditional furniture outlet.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When our "Pleather" started peeling on our 2016 Reflection we replaced with residential furniture . We have a Midwest based Nebraska Furniture Mart here in K.C. and we got real leather and electric recline on our theater seating in the clearance section for $499 . Took out a couple screws and carried out the junk and took the backs off the new loveseat and carried it right in. Zero clearance recline and perfect fit. Better quality. We are watching the clearance now for a real leather replace for the sofa. We don't want a sleeper so it should be easy and reasonable to replace it. Much less expensive than RV furniture. We did the very same thing on our last 5th wheel when the recliners needed replacing. I'm sure your area has a similar furniture store too.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frustrating problem: Our 2016 theater seating with console is 60 inches and the "pleather" deteriorated. Contacted Lippert (LCI) who "makes" (China) Thomas Payne line. They are aware of problem and offered us a 50% discount on replacement. Here is the problem; the aftermarket theater seating with console is 67 inches to 70 inches! I discussed with them I have a 60 inch arrangement and that is what I need. Well, they still have the 60 inch OME arrangements BUT will only sell them to the RV manufacturers. They will not sell the 60 inch to me. I contacted our dealer and they are in the process of trying to get the 60 inch arrangement for me. Not sure if I'll still get the 50% discount. If not, I will cancel my order and go the residential route. Why do things have to be soooo complicated?
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS
    Sailfish 266CC Twin Yamaha 150's 4 stroke
    Ford F-350XLT 4X4 SRW 6.7 Diesel Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you want to replace junk furniture with more of the same ? What makes you think the replacement pleather won't shed just like the piece you have now ? Even with a 50% off discount, it's still overpriced junk. You will be miles ahead going to a traditional furniture store and picking out something that is more durable, comfortable and most likely cheaper. Additionally there are other venues for RV furniture. Here is a link to a place that has had good reviews https://www.recpro.com/rv-furniture/...waAoCdEALw_wcB
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minnow101, I understand your position and agree. However, we looked at residential and alternative manufactures and cannot find the arrangement we like and that is comfortable in the 60 inch width. In addition, 2 wall hugger recliners with center console seems to be the 1000 - 2000 dollar range. I do not plan on spending more than $600 (after 50% discount) for the "junk" replacement set. If I can get a couple years out of it, then it will time for a new coach.
    Keith & Julie
    Huron, OH
    "Boys and their Toys"
    GD Reflection 337RLS
    Sailfish 266CC Twin Yamaha 150's 4 stroke
    Ford F-350XLT 4X4 SRW 6.7 Diesel Long Bed

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with going with regular furniture is getting it through the relatively small RV doors.

RecCon is RV furniture that's on line with the LCI Thomas Payne but with better leather. Unfortunately, to replace my wallhugger Love Seat with left and right Recliners would cost about $2K. Flexsteel RV furniture is also very expensive.

We're considering using conventional Lazy Boy furniture when we swap out our furniture. It comes with recliner backs that lift off so it will go through doors. But there again, it's very expensive given the marginal quality of Lazy Boy furniture. You can special order the coverings, however.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First it's not "pleather" it's bonded leather. Pleather is a slang term for plastic vinyl covering. Bonded leather is sort leather at least started it's life that way. Ground up pieces of real leather scraps are formed into thin sheets and bonded to a fabric. The backing stretches and flexes, the thin bonded leather doesn't so eventually it tears and peels. Totally non repairable. RecPro, not RecCon, uses a simulated leather poly vinyl that is superior to bonded leather. Actually just about anything is superior to bonded leather but it was widely used around 2014-2016 because it's cheap and RV builders are cheap. Personally I would get a good wall hugging version of LazyBoy or such to get better furniture. Make sure you get the type that the backs come off so you can get it in the door.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    When our "Pleather" started peeling on our 2016 Reflection we replaced with residential furniture . We have a Midwest based Nebraska Furniture Mart here in K.C. and we got real leather and electric recline on our theater seating in the clearance section for $499 . Took out a couple screws and carried out the junk and took the backs off the new loveseat and carried it right in. Zero clearance recline and perfect fit. Better quality. We are watching the clearance now for a real leather replace for the sofa. We don't want a sleeper so it should be easy and reasonable to replace it. Much less expensive than RV furniture. We did the very same thing on our last 5th wheel when the recliners needed replacing. I'm sure your area has a similar furniture store too.
    Was there a big weight difference?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Julie and Gage, the BFGS
    ´15 Solitude 369RL
    Aguanga, CA
    Tri Cities, WA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    Was there a big weight difference? I looked at some, and it seemed like a concern.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Julie and Gage, the BFGS
    ´15 Solitude 369RL
    Aguanga, CA
    Tri Cities, WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast