Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold icing up on right side of fins only

I have an interesting problem and I have no idea what's causing it. On my Norcold 1210 on longer trip the fins on the right side ice up. I don't mean frost... I mean a solid thick block of ice. I do have an ARP fridge defend and it is set to stop the 2 day defrost built into the Norcold. I have the ARP internal blower fan option that should stop the icing up of the fins. It works on the left side, but not the right side (yes the fan is working on the right side!). The build up in the picture below was after 18 nights of camping inland in BC; not really a humid area. I've check the door seals by placing a flood light in the fridge at night and the seals do not allow any visible light through (so seals seem properly aligned. The only light is around the plastic door flap, two very small pinholes of light in the top and bottom of the fridge. My fridge is set to level 5 which keeps the temperature between 37-40 degrees on average (checked with digital temp monitor). My reason for having the auto defrost disabled is to not warm the food every couple of days leading to premature spoiling (this does work, my food lasts longer... but I ice up).

Am I to believe this fridge cools from the right to left meaning the right side gets colder?
    Would using a passive dehumidifier like Damprid or Eva-Dry in the fridge be okay?
    Other thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice build up.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	558.9 KB 
ID:	22411
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try putting a small fridge fan in there to circulate air. Those little fans help keep the frost buildup down quite a bit. We keep 2 blowing on both sides.

On closer look at your picture, if you can take those little fans you added and aim them directly at the fins it should do the trick.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right fan is aimed directly at that ice block... even before the ice built up! Makes no difference.
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a dollar bill and close it into the seal sticking out so you can tug on it. Do this all the way around the seal. If you can pull it out easily or it slides around you have bad seals, that would cause the frost build up as well as putting to many warm items in front of the fins...is that the side where you put your beer ?
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven’t done the bill test yet... but did put a flood light inside the fridge at night and found no light leakage around the seals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the icing problem too. Spoke with Norcold factory, they said they sometimes put plastic strip behind the gaskets to make them seal. I didn't want a solid plastic strip, so off to the hardware store looking for a rubber or foam that would return to it's shape after smashing. Most of the foams would take a set after crushing between my fingers and had little spring to them. Then I came across some round foam about 3/8" in diameter and it sprang back nice. I bought 100 ft. bag of it for less then $10. Today I deiced the fins and places the foam behind the gaskets. The left door with the flap, I did need to remove the flap to gain access to the gasket. Easy with a helping hand to hold the flap. remove the 2 screws on the flap hinges, and lift the flap up to free it. The free hand to hold it without straining the wires. I've done all 4 doors, nice and sung now. I'll give an update in a couple weeks it the ice returns or not. Here's a link to the foam if your hardware store doesn't have it. https://www.paintsupply.com/product/...ll-backer-rod/
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed and Cathy K View Post
    I'll give an update in a couple weeks it the ice returns or not. Here's a link to the foam if your hardware store doesn't have it. https://www.paintsupply.com/product/...ll-backer-rod/
    It's been at least a couple of weeks - any update? Having the same icing problem.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, this thread is about 3 years old, don't know if the people involved are still around. Might try to open a new thread, or see if you can PM an individual.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    It's been at least a couple of weeks - any update? Having the same icing problem.
    We used it with the mod till May 2022 then sold it with the mod in place. Still had to defrost, but not very often. Mostly depending on humidity in the area we were in.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed and Cathy K View Post
    We used it with the mod till May 2022 then sold it with the mod in place. Still had to defrost, but not very often. Mostly depending on humidity in the area we were in.
    Thanks for the reply on old thread. I found a plugged drain line that kept water in the drip tray under the frozen fins. Hopefully clearing that will help with the problem.
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston