User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sold my truck and 399 - now what??

We decided we were due for a change of scenery and took advantage of the hot truck/rv market. We sold the truck and the RV and now have all winter to figure out what we want. I have no clue if I will go back to a TT or 5th wheel and I don't know if I'll go toy hauler again or not. We still have dirt bikes to haul around, so either get a TT and put them in the truck or go with another toy hauler. Such decisions to make! I know I'll go with a 1 ton SRW so i can actually use my truck in the winter, my dually was awful in the snow. Whatever camper we get next, I'll make sure it's within the capacities of the truck i pick. I did decide I'm going with used on both, the truck for sure, maybe on the camper. My wife is very sensitive to cats, so if we found a used camper with previous cat owners it doesn't work out well, we know from a previous camper we had. I'm really hopeful that all the people that bought new campers this year and realize it isn't for them will have them up for sale next year. Any tips or recommendations welcome. I'm not sticking to GD only, I'm open to other brands, especially now that it seems customer service has declined which is why we picked GD in the first place; I realize they are all slapped together the same way. We will be focusing more on dry camping on BLM land and national forest land.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a timely post ! Carol and I have had the same discussions. Sell high (hot market) buy low (blood in the streets) as my Economics/investments/business background has taught me over more than 4 decades.

I am going to order a new truck in the early spring so the time for a new RV seems to make sense too. Carol and I both really like our 303 and all the relationships and friendships we have built with forum folks and the GDRV team over 7 seasons.

Now you have me thinking........I agree with your thought processes and timing although I think spring/summer will still be in play.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    We decided we were due for a change of scenery and took advantage of the hot truck/rv market. We sold the truck and the RV ...
    How did you market (i.e., which venues) the vehicles? Did you list them separately or as a pair? What did you base your asking prices on?

Thanks.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What now?

I think you will have to wait until the 'hot rv market' is over and a certain percentage want to get out of the rv lifestyle once they realize it is not for them. Which, IMO, means next fall.

Buy a bike with a sidecar and hit the open road? It would certainly be a 'change of pace'.....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you going to get cold in a tent this winter?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From all the research we've done, and we've done plenty, the best rigs for BLM / dry camping tend to be the ones with the greatest fresh / black / gray holding tanks and room for battery banks / solar. Typically 5th wheel toy haulers are best based on those conditions.
    D & D
    Currently in a diesel pusher,
    but we are going to retire into a
    Momentum 397th in a couple of years.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    How did you market (i.e., which venues) the vehicles? Did you list them separately or as a pair? What did you base your asking prices on?

Thanks.

-Steve
    My wife listed the camper on facebook marketplace (I dont have facebook). We based the price off other 399s listed on RVtrader and made the price a little less.

The truck, I used the KBB instant cash offer and took it to a few local dealers. I didnt want to deal with selling it privately since it had some body damage from an unintended off road incident last year. I still made money on the deal, so I was happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    What now?

I think you will have to wait until the 'hot rv market' is over and a certain percentage want to get out of the rv lifestyle once they realize it is not for them. Which, IMO, means next fall.

Buy a bike with a sidecar and hit the open road? It would certainly be a 'change of pace'.....
    You might be right. We are a family of 6...that sidecar option would be fairly interesting. If we have to wait until fall that's ok with us. If we decide to get something before then, I will have to see if the price difference is worth it or not at the time.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Aren't you going to get cold in a tent this winter?

Rob
    [emoji1787] I think we need to take a little break from camping this year, but it seemed like it was the only shot we had to sell both for reasonable $.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybraner View Post
    From all the research we've done, and we've done plenty, the best rigs for BLM / dry camping tend to be the ones with the greatest fresh / black / gray holding tanks and room for battery banks / solar. Typically 5th wheel toy haulers are best based on those conditions.
    I've seen some TTs with decent sized tanks. There are some areas near us that wouldn't be very fun bringing a 43'+ 5th wheel to get to it. We mainly wanted a change in scenery and to get rid of my dually; we typically only do weekends now so I think we can make it work with smaller tanks.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast