User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having difficulty installing backup camera. Can you help?

I purchased a Haloview rear observation camera. It is wired up and works fine, but it does not have a housing like the Furrion and I have to tuck the wires back in to the rear trailer wall. I am having problems getting the wires in there as there is little space. I could force it. I am afraid of damaging something.

Anyone else run in to this issue?
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I installed the same camera. There is just too much bulky wire. I got rid of the plugs and hardwired it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
    I could force it. I am afraid of damaging something.

I forced it. Don't think you have to worry about damage, but if you keep the plugs, you have to make sure nothing comes unplugged. If I had to do it again, I'd go with @jkwilson and cut the plugs off, shorten the wires, and hard-wire it all together.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut the Furrion plug off and installed the Haloview female in its place. What is the stuff I would be forcing the wires in to? Is that the foam insulation board, so it will not hurt if I smashed it a little? I would like to try that first before rewiring.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cut the Furrion plug off and installed the Haloview female in its place. What is the stuff I would be forcing the wires in to? Is that the foam insulation board, so it will not hurt if I smashed it a little? I would like to try that first before rewiring.
    I was most worried about damaging the wiring that is in there.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Haloview rear observation camera. It is wired up and works fine, but it does not have a housing like the Furrion and I have to tuck the wires back in to the rear trailer wall. I am having problems getting the wires in there as there is little space. I could force it. I am afraid of damaging something.

I have the same camera...nope, with all of the Styrofoam insulation, you really can't pack the wires back into the wall. So, I just mounted the Haloview on the back wall, underneath the Furrion mount and used it as a j-box...all of the wires/connectors are inside of the Furrion mount.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoz View Post
    I have the same camera...nope, with all of the Styrofoam insulation, you really can't pack the wires back into the wall. So, I just mounted the Haloview on the back wall, underneath the Furrion mount and used it as a j-box...all of the wires/connectors are inside of the Furrion mount.
    So, simple. I don't know why I did not think of that. Thx.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, simple. I don't know why I did not think of that. Thx.
    I haven't seen the Haloview, but your caution about disturbing the wires already stuffed in behind the marker lights and factory camera mount is wise. Our trailer came from the factory with a non-working camera mount and upon exploration it became clear that the factory technician had jammed wires into the small space and broken the power connection to the camera mount. Not a lot of space in there for new wires, especially not (it sounds like) bulky Haloview wires with plugs on them.

@goodoz advice sounds good, and the bonus is that some people will think you're a law enforcement authority with a bunch of spying gear on the back of your trailer. I've been asked many times about the cell phone booster antenna mounted on our ladder.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm new here. Our RV is a 2020 Imagine 2600RB. I noticed there were discussions about the Furrion prewiring being hot all the time and people hooking into the running lights. My wiring was already connected to the running lights, so Grand Design is listening. Worked great.

Just installed a EMMAKO system, I used the Furrion mount in the same way. Cut off the Furrion plug connected the pigtail provided with the EMMAKO system, pushed back excess wire where the Furrion wire and through the wall, plugged the EMMAKO plug, folded the plug and wiring into the Furrion mount as a junction box. I cut a small notch in the bottom of the Furrion face plate to allow me to run the wire to the camera mounted three inches below. I saw on the HaloView Youtube video where the guy drilled a hole through the center of the Furrion blank off plate, I thought the notch worked better, I can remove the plate as needed and provided a low point drain to boot.

Thanks,
    MainerUSNR