Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savannah GA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savannah GA

We are spending 5 nights at Skidaway Island S P in late Oct. That leaves us 2 full days to play tourist. What are the don't miss things that are not total tourist trap type places to do or see while in the area ?.. we also like off the beaten path stuff .
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-17-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added a nights stay
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That state park is one of our favorites. It's so well set up. And so close to Savannah and a lot of other things to do/see.

We're birders: so the trails at the campground are good; and there are quite a few wildlife refuges/birding areas within an hour or two. We spent a solid week just birding in the area and didn't see all that we wanted to see.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Nature preserves are on our short list so far. We'll have part of the arrival day to play in the park and might spend one other day or part of in the park. I'm guessing this will be an area we want to return to when we have more time. Not "birders" but do love to photo them when the opportunity arises.
    When we went to Myrtle Beach several years ago we went up and down the coast to preserves and state parks. Found a preserve with wolfs too!

Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I go to places, especially historic places, we like to do the trolley tours. We have done the Savannah trolley tours at least twice. I would highly recommend that. It's a great way to see a lot of the historic city, and then you can see where you might want to go back and spend more time.

We also like the ghost tours.. for the same reason.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marcy. I don’t know if you remember us, but Lynn and I met you and talked for a couple minutes at your campsite in Florida last winter...we have been to Skidaway Island State Park several times and we enjoy visiting Savannah while in the area. We enjoyed the “Bonaventure Cemetery Journeys with Shannon Scott” tour - you can find a link to it on Trip Advisor. Stores we always visit when in that neighborhood are the “Savannah Bee Company” and “River Street Sweets.”
    Have fun!
    Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was stationed at FT Stewart (about 30 miles inland from Savannah) while on active duty and did quite a bit of sailing along the coast. We enjoy Tybee Island, Fort Pulaski National Monument (on the way to Tybee Island), and the riverfront and old cemeteries in Savannah. We have been back since going full-time, but stayed at the Hunter AAF FamCamp while in the area.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim340 View Post
    Hi Marcy. I don’t know if you remember us, but Lynn and I met you and talked for a couple minutes at your campsite in Florida last winter...we have been to Skidaway Island State Park several times and we enjoy visiting Savannah while in the area. We enjoyed the “Bonaventure Cemetery Journeys with Shannon Scott” tour - you can find a link to it on Trip Advisor. Stores we always visit when in that neighborhood are the “Savannah Bee Company” and “River Street Sweets.”
    Have fun!
    Tim
    Hi Tim, it's not everyday we get to meet other forum members so yes I do remember! Thanks for the suggestions, the Haunted Cemetary was one of the first things that caught my eye. As well as the haunted city tours. Guess I might want to check out Groupon for tour deals.

We'll be back in the same spot until late April if you return this winter swing by and visit!
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I was stationed at FT Stewart (about 30 miles inland from Savannah) while on active duty and did quite a bit of sailing along the coast. We enjoy Tybee Island, Fort Pulaski National Monument (on the way to Tybee Island), and the riverfront and old cemeteries in Savannah. We have been back since going full-time, but stayed at the Hunter AAF FamCamp while in the area.

Rob
    Hi Rob, 2 suggestions for the cemetaries..guess that will make the list ..something about ghosts intrigue me and being close to Halloween it may have an added fear factor thrown in! Is Tybee Island built up or more natural ?
    I can already tell this will not be our only visit to Savannah
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Hi Rob, 2 suggestions for the cemetaries..guess that will make the list ..something about ghosts intrigue me and being close to Halloween it may have an added fear factor thrown in! Is Tybee Island built up or more natural ?
    I can already tell this will not be our only visit to Savannah
    Tybee Island is not as developed as many of the major tourist attraction coastal towns. It's kinda quaint with a definite small-town feel. The beaches are beautiful. Google some images: https://www.google.com/search?q=tybe...w=1366&bih=642.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Hi Tim, it's not everyday we get to meet other forum members so yes I do remember! Thanks for the suggestions, the Haunted Cemetary was one of the first things that caught my eye. As well as the haunted city tours. Guess I might want to check out Groupon for tour deals.

We'll be back in the same spot until late April if you return this winter swing by and visit!
    The cemetery tour I mentioned is not a “haunted” tour, it’s more historical in nature. The great part of it is that Shannon Scott is a professional storyteller with an actor’s flair for drama. The tour is a great look into Savannah’s past through it’s famous and non-so-famous people.

We won’t be in Florida this winter as we are expecting our first grandchild in January! I love that location we were in last winter and look forward to returning there....just not this year. You’ve got a great spot there, so keep your sunscreen handy and think of us up north in the snow in February!
    Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast