User Tag List

Thread: roof sealent

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

roof sealent

I am confused. Firstly because I am not familiar with the roofing membranes in use TPO EPDM etc ... always had metal or fiberglass.. anyway I now have a GD 297 (2019) and even my liturature that came with the coach did not identify, it actually mentioned both EPDM and TPO. Dealer was not much help, got both answers there also. The GD website where I looked it up said TPO.. so I am going with that as I can't tell the differance.

I want to remove the vent in the front and replace it with a fantastic fan. Something so I can draw air in and have the other fan take it out in the back of the trailer. What sealer should I use? For most of my investigation it seems that something called 1021 is what I need, but I have also seen other stuff recommended.

And does anyone have an easy way of removing the old sealant? In my experience it can be a real pain in the patootie.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmert View Post
    I am confused. Firstly because I am not familiar with the roofing membranes in use TPO EPDM etc ... always had metal or fiberglass.. anyway I now have a GD 297 (2019) and even my liturature that came with the coach did not identify, it actually mentioned both EPDM and TPO. Dealer was not much help, got both answers there also. The GD website where I looked it up said TPO.. so I am going with that as I can't tell the differance.

I want to remove the vent in the front and replace it with a fantastic fan. Something so I can draw air in and have the other fan take it out in the back of the trailer. What sealer should I use? For most of my investigation it seems that something called 1021 is what I need, but I have also seen other stuff recommended.

And does anyone have an easy way of removing the old sealant? In my experience it can be a real pain in the patootie.
    Epdm is usually smooth, TPO will have a regular texture. GD has been using Alpha Systems TPO. Call GDRV customer service to verify. Alpha Systems claims use of other than proprietary products can void warranty. I use Alpha Systems Super Flex self levelling sealant.
    https://www.campingworld.com/super-f...yABEgIfXvD_BwE

Others have used Dicor without issue.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Cheifblueman said. You probably have the Alpha System TPO roof. If you ever get the chance to see Epdm and TPO next to each other you will be able to instantly recognize the difference. EPDM had a kind of squishy rubbery feeling to it, TPO has a smoother slick finish.

You can go to the Alpha Systems web site: and get some pretty good information. 1021 would the product that I would use. Also think big margins with lots of sloppiness.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes it even more confusing is the fact that Alpha Systems sealants come packaged with various labels. If your RV dealership has a parts department, then they probably stock Alpha Systems sealants with a plain label. You can also buy Alpha Systems sealants from Camping World, but they are labeled as "Super Flex" products.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch