Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emergency flasher and Progidy P3

I'm still new to RV'ing.

I bought my trailer only about 4 months ago and went camping with it about 6 times so far.
    I towed my TT Imagine 2400BH with 2015 Mercedes GL450 which of course maxed out payload and towing capacity.
    A lot of folks asked me if it was okay to tow my TT with my TV.."can you tow your trailer with such SUV??"
    However, it was quite okay with Propride hitch and I did not have white knuckle or whatsoever.
    Only the problem was the power. Every time when I had to go uphill, there was no power.
    I had to lower the gear to 2 to get to 55 mph.
    That actually made me consider a new TV.

Anyway, what I want to share is.. my experience about the emergency flasher.
    It was when I just got over a small hill and saw a standing still traffic right in front of me.
    I had to stop immediately. So, I pushed my brake pedal hard and at the same time, I put on the emergency flasher.
    I actually didn't even have a time to pull the emergency brake on my brake controller.
    I'm not sure whether you have noticed this.. the emergency flasher actually triggers the full brake on TT. (for Progidy series)
    My TT's tires were locked and made skid mark. It was wiggling a bit, but fortunately I have Propride hitch.
    It didn't lead to a sway situation and I was able to stop both TV and TT before the traffic.
    But, it was a scary experience ever.

It wouldn't have been that different even if I was driving F150 or F250, IMO.
    However, I wanted to use this opportunity to persuade my wife to get a new TV. haha.
    And, I'm going to pick up 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie (3.92 axle ratio) tomorrow.
    I hope it would perform better when I go uphill or mountains.
    And, I have no experience with the factory installed brake controller, but I also hope it doesn't trigger the full brake on my TT.

I thought about getting RAM 2500 Diesel, but I can't drive it as a daily car..it's just too big.
    RAM 1500 isn't actually a big upgrade.. 1312 payload to 1439 payload (127 more) and 7500 max towing capacity to 11430 max (3930 more)
    I'm going to lose my air suspension.. in return. Air suspension worked really well for me.

Anyway, I guess it will be safer at the end.

Happy RV'ing!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting the hazards actuated the brakes, never heard of that. It could also have been you getting on the brake of the TV. When the TV brakes are actuated so are the trailer brakes (assuming the brake controller is properly setup). Also if you are going to be traveling mountains a lot you might want to consider the F150 with an EcoBoost engine, it's not a diesel. Should be the same size truck as the Ram, but the turbos on that engine will make a big difference for you going up a mountain where a naturally aspirated engine will still struggle. If you end up sticking with the Ram, you might just have to keep it in a lower gear for the uphill portions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 09-07-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Interesting the hazards actuated the brakes, never heard of that. It could also have been you getting on the brake of the TV. When the TV brakes are actuated so are the trailer brakes (assuming the brake controller is properly setup). Also if you are going to be traveling mountains a lot you might want to consider the F150 with an EcoBoost engine, it's not a diesel. Should be the same size truck as the Ram, but the turbos on that engine will make a big difference for you going up a mountain where a naturally aspirated engine will still struggle. If you end up sticking with the Ram, you might just have to keep it in a lower gear for the uphill portions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    It's a common issue that the emergency flasher activating the trailer brake.
    https://www.etrailer.com/question-30268.html

I thought about F150 for more torque and better payload.
    But, I'm more leaning towards Ram.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was your GL450 a diesel (BlueTec) or gas model? I own an ML350 BlueTec and am considering an XLS 23BHE. The 23BHE has a similar hitch weight but is 400-500 lbs lighter, 7 inches less tall and 1 foot shorter. Width of both appear to be 8 feet. Wondering if the ML 350 Bluetec is up to the task.

Any concerns about hitch weight? Did you strengthen your hitch or stick with the OEM receiver? Stated hitch weight of both trailers is below Mercedes maximum of 565 lbs for the hitch, but it is understood that RV hitch weight specs can be significantly understated.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unHookt View Post
    Was your GL450 a diesel (BlueTec) or gas model? I own an ML350 BlueTec and am considering an XLS 23BHE. The 23BHE has a similar hitch weight but is 400-500 lbs lighter, 7 inches less tall and 1 foot shorter. Width of both appear to be 8 feet. Wondering if the ML 350 Bluetec is up to the task.

Any concerns about hitch weight? Did you strengthen your hitch or stick with the OEM receiver? Stated hitch weight of both trailers is below Mercedes maximum of 565 lbs for the hitch, but it is understood that RV hitch weight specs can be significantly understated.
    My TT is 2015 GL450 gas. It already is equipped with the enhanced hitch receiver that it is already durable enough. If your TT is 2013 or newer, it should be fine. Otherwise, you need to enhance your hitch receiver. Hitch capacity is not only thing you need to look at. You will also need to look at the payload capacity. My GL450 has 1312lbs payload capacity and the tongue weight + passenger weight was actually over the payload capacity. It was actually okay although it was not legal. I ended up buying 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel because GL450 felt lack of power when going uphill and it didn’t feel safe after the emergency brake that I had to hit. Nothing is more important than my family’s safety.

I would say your ML350 can tow the small trailer, but you will feel unsecured time to time. One accident can blow everything. Propride/Hensley hitch will definitely help with sway and white-knuckling. But, you will want a pick up truck for you and your family’s safety.