User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those of you with Lippert 3.0 4-point auto-leveling systems...

Having completed our fourth year of full-timing this summer, the main point of contention in our marriage is where and when to settle back down. Since we're well-suited to the mobile lifestyle and our 2016 337 suits us almost perfectly, the solution - for now - is to keep rolling.

Since our 337 was built a few months before auto-leveling became standard on Reflections, we have become adept at the use of a LevelMatePRO 2 and some Beech-Lane levelers. I carry a couple of six-foot pieces of treated 2x12 in the truck bed for those sites that are four or more inches out of level side-to-side, as well (have had to use them twice in the past couple of months). The whole leveling routine doesn't really take me that long, but dread/resentment of the work involved seems to increase proportionately with age and lower back pain levels. Bad weather is also a multiplier.

My preference would be the Bigfoot hydraulic system, but it's expensive and a more involved installation (probably wouldn't undertake it myself). Reading reviews and forum entries on the Lippert leveling systems, the common theme for those that have anything negative to say seems to be that the trailer has to be "fairly level" (the most common phrase used) in order for the Lippert system to work. How far off can "fairly level" be and the system still work? How have you found the reliability of the Lippert system to be?

The existing Lippert 2.0 system on our trailer is bolt-on. I plan on speaking with Lippert to make sure that the 3.0 system would slip into the existing mounts and that no welding would be required. So, in addition to my questions above - and assuming at least several more years of full-timing - do you believe it would be worth the time and the $2,500 expenditure to install the four-point 3.0 auto-leveling system on our rig?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Solitude so not a direct comparison. The absolute mostest bestest thing about our 310GK is the auto-leveling. Press a button and start doing something else. One minute later, perfectly level. I hated leveling our other units and fiddling around with blocks and levelers when all i really want to do is sit in my chair and enjoy the surroundings.

I would spend the money if it were me.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Having completed our fourth year of full-timing this summer, the main point of contention in our marriage is where and when to settle back down. Since we're well-suited to the mobile lifestyle and our 2016 337 suits us almost perfectly, the solution - for now - is to keep rolling.

Since our 337 was built a few months before auto-leveling became standard on Reflections, we have become adept at the use of a LevelMatePRO 2 and some Beech-Lane levelers. I carry a couple of six-foot pieces of treated 2x12 in the truck bed for those sites that are four or more inches out of level side-to-side, as well (have had to use them twice in the past couple of months). The whole leveling routine doesn't really take me that long, but dread/resentment of the work involved seems to increase proportionately with age and lower back pain levels. Bad weather is also a multiplier.

My preference would be the Bigfoot hydraulic system, but it's expensive and a more involved installation (probably wouldn't undertake it myself). Reading reviews and forum entries on the Lippert leveling systems, the common theme for those that have anything negative to say seems to be that the trailer has to be "fairly level" (the most common phrase used) in order for the Lippert system to work. How far off can "fairly level" be and the system still work? How have you found the reliability of the Lippert system to be?

The existing Lippert 2.0 system on our trailer is bolt-on. I plan on speaking with Lippert to make sure that the 3.0 system would slip into the existing mounts and that no welding would be required. So, in addition to my questions above - and assuming at least several more years of full-timing - do you believe it would be worth the time and the $2,500 expenditure to install the four-point 3.0 auto-leveling system on our rig?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Rob
    Rob,

To answer one of your questions, my 3.0 system allows 5 degrees front to back per LCI manual (I had also spoke to one of them re a problem I was having and he also said 5 degrees). Then you are back to blocks etc. Once I learned that, I knew about how much range I had. This was related to my driveway parking and setting up a somewhat level parking pad. It will give you an "out of stroke" error otherwise. Left to right, I am not sure, but have had situation where it lifted the tires. Common sense principles still apply here. Once calibrated, mine has been basically flawless, most issues owner / operator error. Can't speak to the cost, I still want the disk brakes!
    Jim / GCL
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I have a Solitude so not a direct comparison. The absolute mostest bestest thing about our 310GK is the auto-leveling. Press a button and start doing something else. One minute later, perfectly level. I hated leveling our other units and fiddling around with blocks and levelers when all i really want to do is sit in my chair and enjoy the surroundings.

I would spend the money if it were me.
    I have to agree with this as well. It is sooo nice to pull into a spot, unhook, move the truck and hit the level button. Then you can just go do other things like hook up cord etc. My Reflection had the auto level and electric jacks but the Solitude hydraulic system seems to work even better, plus it sounds like a transformer robot unfolding lol. Rob to me its like the IS and disc brakes, we hate to spend the money but it makes the whole experience so much nicer and more convenient.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob

I recall a discussion on this before. My thoughts are you will still need to level side to side. I have noticed on our unit if I am about 3 or 4" off side to side it will lift the tires off of the ground. That being said some will camp with tires off of the ground , I do not let that happen. It is a very nice addition.

Brian

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Rob

I recall a discussion on this before. My thoughts are you will still need to level side to side. I have noticed on our unit if I am about 3 or 4" off side to side it will lift the tires off of the ground. That being said some will camp with tires off of the ground , I do not let that happen. It is a very nice addition.

Brian
    You are correct, Brian - I've asked questions on this topic before... prior to looking at an open-ended timeline on the full-timing.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had both systems and they both worked fine , although the hydraulic system is quicker. I always check the readout for side to side and block under the tires to get it within about one degree. I carry a ten pack of the plastic logo style blocks for that. I also use about 8” of blocking under each jack to keep them as short as possible
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Lippert Third Generation Ground Control 4 Point Automatic HALL Effect Electric Leveling Systems. Surely a step up from manual leveling but I still have issues leveling my 5th Wheel. I have a 2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS. It seems every time I set up and after auto leveling, I have to manually adjust U-D & L-R to properly level my unit. I can actually feel how un-level the unit is while walking inside my coach after auto-leveling. At times, I' ve had to manually go U-D a couple of inches. I've been in some pretty bad un-leveled sites during my travels and at times I've had to use leveling blocks to get me close to level before auto-leveling. I've managed so far and have gotten use to the fine tuning manual leveling. I've been on the road now for 4 months and heading home to Texas. Once home, I'm gonna deal with this issue. I don't know if I have to re-calibrate the system or if there are other issues affecting my auto-level system. But even with this issue, I'm glad I have my Lippert Ground Control system.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreezeSTX View Post
    I don't know if I have to re-calibrate the system or if there are other issues affecting my auto-level system.
    When you need to adjust the level, is it always off the same way. In other words is one part always high (e.g. the front left)? If so, recalibrating it should fix it.

If the symptoms vary then there is something else wrong.
    John & Cheryl
    Sold: 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31SA Motorhome
    Sold: 2017 Reflection 337RLS, dual pane windows, 2nd A/C, Go Power! Solar Elite w/2000 watt inverter, Titan electric/hydraulic brakes, Goodyear Endurance ST235/85 R16 tires
    Sold: 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, SRW, Duramax/Allison, 50 gallon Transfer Flow auxiliary tank
    States we have camped in with an RV:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got the 4-point LCI ground control in our '20 31MB. It is dead simple to operate and can "fly" the wheels if the site is significantly out of level. I've got the Andersen levelers to help get it close and then the auto-level to fine tune the rig. Auto-leveling is one of the main reasons we went with a current year rig.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreezeSTX View Post
    I don't know if I have to re-calibrate the system or if there are other issues affecting my auto-level system. But even with this issue, I'm glad I have my Lippert Ground Control system.
    Ours came home from the dealer needing to be recalibrated. Check your manual. I manually leveled the rig and then pressed just a few buttons, on the LCI control panel, to save the new settings. Dead simple. If you don't have it, there is an LCI app (iOS or Android) that has documentation for all of their equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast