User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 GMC/Chevy 2500 standard bed and Anderson hitch tow clearance

Hello All.
    I’m new to this forum and getting ready for retirement next year.

I’ve shopped for 5th wheels for a couple months. I believe I’ve find the Solitude S class 2930RL as the best match for my needs. I’ve always been a Chevy man so my tow vehicle is already made(but not purchased). Before I purchase any of the two I want to make sure they work together well.

I don’t want to buy an 8’ bed truck unless absolutely necessary. I’m going to order the double cab variant when it’s available. The standard bed with the double cab will give me the shortest possible length of truck. I fish in BC a lot with some tight maneuvering on back country roads.

I love the look of the Anderson hitch setup. Easily removable and possibly giving you a few more degrees of backup maneuvering. With the new gooseball setup 2” behind axle and longer standard bed for 2020, a 96” wide trailer(with a swept back front cap) looks like it could almost achieve a 90 degree turn. But the Solitudes are 101” wide.

Any one tow with this setup or have any info about its limitations? Sorry this question might be to specific but I thought I might try anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Owens

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please excuse any errors. I'm not much at social media and on-line communications.
    I have a new 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD SRW, towing capacity 18,500 lbs and payload 3,597 lbs. I have a Solitude 3740BH, 16,000 lb max with 2900 lb hitch weight. I have a gooseneck adapter I attached to my 5th wheel king pin and did a dry run at my house, to check the clearances. With the gooseneck adapter I can make about 80 degree turn before cab and nose piece on RV hit. I felt this would be ok since I've never turned this much and would always keep in mind I could not make a complete 90 degree turn. I thought I had a very inexpensive set up until my wife found information where Lippert (trailer frame manufacturer) will not honor the warranty if a gooseneck adapter is used. Lippert's claim is the adapter may cause frame cracks. I don't know why the adapters are still being manufactured and sold if they cause damage!!! I ordered the 5th wheel/gooseneck package (puck system in the bed) on my truck, so I just bought a B&W RVK3715 Companion Hitch, rated at 25K that drops right in my truck bed. I bought the fixed hitch because the RVK3775 Slider is not available yet and is $500 more. See attached pictures. I'll let you know clearances asap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	22582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	22584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	22585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	22586.

I love my new Denali and ROLL TIDE!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Papa John;256889]
    I have a new 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD SRW, towing capacity 18,500 lbs and payload 3,597 lbs.

Wow ! - they really increased the payload. Trust the 3597 number you posted is from the yellow sticker on your truck or is that the max from a "keys and heat" regular cab gasser ? Please share a picture of your truck's yellow payload sticker in the drivers door pillar.

I am planning to order a 2020 Denali 3500 in Feb.

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Papa John for the info. Nice setup. I think the wide bodies cut the clearances down. I don’t buy Lipperts claim that the adapters cause frame cracks. The force is still being applied in the same exact spot. Maybe a ploy to get people to buy their Reese goose box.I don’t like them because you have to be so precise in hooking up. Wouldn’t mind a slider if it was light enough for one person to remove. Or, if it’s puck mounted where you could actually leave it one the RV while release it via pucks. Let the 5th lift it out.

This is an interesting video of Reese goose box and 96” wide trailer:https://youtu.be/egqMAPu7LI0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the website for the towing specs of all the hd’s. https://www.gmc.com/trucks/sierra-at...y-pickup-truck

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2020 2500s have a 11500 GVWR which is what gives them the headroom to have a much better payload. Pretty much comparable to the outgoing 3500s
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan, I think I attached the picture! Thanks for the request.

[QUOTE=Canyonlight;256896]
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I have a new 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD SRW, towing capacity 18,500 lbs and payload 3,597 lbs.

Wow ! - they really increased the payload. Trust the 3597 number you posted is from the yellow sticker on your truck or is that the max from a "keys and heat" regular cab gasser ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	22675
    I am planning to order a 2020 Denali 3500 in Feb.

Thanks,

Dan
    I need to take a couple courses on participating in forums. Probably make my children happy!

Dan, your request for a picture has me thinking. I need to talk to my dealer. All the data I received what I researched has max payload at 3,597 but my door has 3023. (???)

I still love Big Red, Roll tide!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Papa John;257389]
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post

I need to take a couple courses on participating in forums. Probably make my children happy!

Dan, your request for a picture has me thinking. I need to talk to my dealer. All the data I received what I researched has max payload at 3,597 but my door has 3023. (???)

I still love Big Red, Roll tide!
    Thanks, for sharing the door pillar sticker. It does confirm that ratings for GMC 2500 payload and other capacities have been increased at least on your truck consistent with what GM has been sharing for a few months. It also appears that the traditional yellow sticker for payload/other ratings has been changed to a more comprehensive tag with a great level of detail........good stuff. I will need to look at some 2500 and 3500 trucks in our area for their actual ratings. I like what I see.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway Duck Hunt Dobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actual payload on my new 2020 GMC 3500 Diesel Crew Cab (loaded SLT so similar to Denali content wise) is 3759 lbs per the door sticker. Published spec was 4148 lbs. So once you load them up with options, the actual payload will drop, but still a HUGE improvement over the previous generation. Ride/handling/and comfort much better as well.

I purchased the same BW Companion 3715 fixed that Papa John did, and have plenty of clearance on backing with my Reflection.
    Jason & Patti (plus 3 active sons)
    2020 Refection 311BHS 5th Wheel (7/2020 build date)
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD SRW w/ Duramax Crew Cab Std. Box (6/2020 build date)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2020 GMC Denali 3500 truck and just ordered a Solitude 310GK. I've been trying to find out if a slider hitch is necessary. Looks like you get by without one. Can you make a real sharp turn without it contacting the cab?

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast