User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just want to follow thread as we are looking to possibly purchase a 2020 or 2021 GMC or Silverado 3500.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I thought I had a very inexpensive set up until my wife found information where Lippert (trailer frame manufacturer) will not honor the warranty if a gooseneck adapter is used. Lippert's claim is the adapter may cause frame cracks. I don't know why the adapters are still being manufactured and sold if they cause damage!!!
    That claim has been disproven . I have heard it from uneducated dealers or naysayers about the AUH that have never used one. Call Lippert and tell them you would like to have that statement in writing that the AUH will void their warranty. They can be sued under the Magunson-Moss Warranty Act if they did put it in writing or are directly telling customers that. There is even a post on here long ago where LCI put the opposite in writing. If there was a failure, LCI would have to prove that the AUH was the cause of such a failure in order to void the frame warranty. Even so, Andersen carries a $5M supplemental policy to cover you if Lippert were to deny a claim.

I've used the AUH in a GMC 2500HD CCSB and then a Ford F350CCSB for a while. It is a solid performer that fills a good niche in the 5th wheel hitch market. I'd have no qualms using it, or recommending it to others if it fits their specific situation. I will say that I enjoyed my Demco Autoslide that I ended up putting in the F350, but they are heavy. Have a fixed B&W now since I have an F450.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Left The Driveway Duck Hunt Dobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I can make a sharp turn - 80 degrees plus when evaluating with still a couple inches to the cab (but never needed that tight yet) - but not necessarily an apples to apples comparison as your Solitude would be wider than my Reflection, so stands to reason it might be more borderline with the Solitude. Sorry I can't give you a better answer...
    Jason & Patti (plus 3 active sons)
    2020 Refection 311BHS 5th Wheel (7/2020 build date)
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD SRW w/ Duramax Crew Cab Std. Box (6/2020 build date)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for checking. I'm having a tuff time trying to figure this out. I need a hitch that I can hitch up on an angle because where it's parked in my yard. I have a Reese revolution hitch now on my old fifth wheel and it works great. Maybe that's the way to go,?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cluless View Post
    Hello All.
    I’m new to this forum and getting ready for retirement next year.

I’ve shopped for 5th wheels for a couple months. I believe I’ve find the Solitude S class 2930RL as the best match for my needs. I’ve always been a Chevy man so my tow vehicle is already made(but not purchased). Before I purchase any of the two I want to make sure they work together well.

I don’t want to buy an 8’ bed truck unless absolutely necessary. I’m going to order the double cab variant when it’s available. The standard bed with the double cab will give me the shortest possible length of truck. I fish in BC a lot with some tight maneuvering on back country roads.

I love the look of the Anderson hitch setup. Easily removable and possibly giving you a few more degrees of backup maneuvering. With the new gooseball setup 2” behind axle and longer standard bed for 2020, a 96” wide trailer(with a swept back front cap) looks like it could almost achieve a 90 degree turn. But the Solitudes are 101” wide.

Any one tow with this setup or have any info about its limitations? Sorry this question might be to specific but I thought I might try anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Owens
    We have a 2018 GMC 2500 HD, but we have a 6 1/2’ box. We have the Anderson hitch, and love it.
    We pull a 303RLS
    Pino and sherry
    2019 GD 303 RLS
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson hitch
    Champion 3400 dual fuel generator
    “Out ‘n About, Eh”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using a standard hitch for your Reflection(96” wide) an Anderson hitch with the additional 4” offset would make up for the additional 5-6” width in the Solitudes. There is a way to get 8” offset with the coupler but I’m not sure if the pin box would hit the tailgate. Maybe the top split tailgate in the Sierra could be flipped down(while leaving the bottom tailgate up) during travel. I think there is enough room. Never heard anyone mention this method.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Hunt Dobber View Post
    Actual payload on my new 2020 GMC 3500 Diesel Crew Cab (loaded SLT so similar to Denali content wise) is 3759 lbs per the door sticker. Published spec was 4148 lbs. So once you load them up with options, the actual payload will drop, but still a HUGE improvement over the previous generation. Ride/handling/and comfort much better as well.

I purchased the same BW Companion 3715 fixed that Papa John did, and have plenty of clearance on backing with my Reflection.
    Did they actually change something between generations other than the "sticker"? That's interesting for people with a 2019 for sure, if the only change was a sticker, they just got a big upgrade!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a lot of people with truck beds shorter than 8' recommend a sliding hitch but I have an alternative. When I get to the point that I'm making a sharp turn while backing up, I just pull forward a bit and start the backup process again. I know that sounds too simplistic but it's actually not very good for the trailer suspension to make 90 degree turns while backing up anyway.

Yes, a sliding hitch does afford protection while making sharp turns but they aren't required. I've towed trailers of all kinds all my life and I never backed up any of them at extreme angles. If I get close to that point, I just pull forward and start over.

Yes, you do need to pay more attention if towing with a non-slider and a short bed truck but you need to pay attention (what's above, behind, in front, rear cab window, bed rails, etc) while backing regardless. Just go sloooooooow and pay attention!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway Duck Hunt Dobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole new truck for 2020 Model Year - total redesign ground up (frame, suspension, etc), not just a sticker change.
    Jason & Patti (plus 3 active sons)
    2020 Refection 311BHS 5th Wheel (7/2020 build date)
    2020 GMC Sierra 3500 HD SRW w/ Duramax Crew Cab Std. Box (6/2020 build date)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    That claim has been disproven .
    I believe Papa John's inexpensive setup was an old-school gooseneck adapter, not the AUH. The AUH is fine. Using a gooseneck adapter other than the Goosebox seems risky.

On another note, the new GM towing sticker is wonderful. Hopefully Ram and Ford follow suit quickly, and add a "virtual sticker" to their online configurators so you can see what you're ordering.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast