Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 POLARMAX not cooling

This refrig. is mounted in a 2020 Solitude 310GK and cooling is not working as designed. I had it set on 9 for a day and a half and it never got below 50F. It appears the cooling fans on the exterior compartment are on a thermostat that doesn't come on until the temp is over 140F and isn't sufficient to keep the temperature below 50 in the refrig. I installed a small 12V fan (temporary) in the outside compartment and the temp. started dropping within 5 minutes, to the point it was in the 20's after 6 hours.
    Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what is the fix.
    I'm going to install two more box fans that run all the time as that appears to to fix the problem.
    I have also read that bypassing the thermostat will fix the problem as this causes the fans to run all the time.
    Poor design.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've done thorough homework already, and more fans and possibly replacing the thermostat may solve your problem.

Your thoroughness makes it likely that you have already seen the advice all over about checking the flap between the doors of the fridge, ensuring that it fully closes and seals the gap, and if not what to do about it, but I've posted just in case by some wild chance you didn't see this, because you didn't mention it in the summary of your investigations.

The flap problem is probably by far the number one cause of fail-to-cool in these fridges. If you don't have the problem now, you probably will before long. Good luck with solving current and future issues with the 2118.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Sounds like you've done thorough homework already, and more fans and possibly replacing the thermostat may solve your problem.

Your thoroughness makes it likely that you have already seen the advice all over about checking the flap between the doors of the fridge, ensuring that it fully closes and seals the gap, and if not what to do about it, but I've posted just in case by some wild chance you didn't see this, because you didn't mention it in the summary of your investigations.

The flap problem is probably by far the number one cause of fail-to-cool in these fridges. If you don't have the problem now, you probably will before long. Good luck with solving current and future issues with the 2118.
    The flap is closing (for now) this was only the 2nd time out since we bought it (other issues). The temp in that compartment was 140F and the fan I stuck in there cooled it off immediately bringing the refrig temp came down. Poor design!! This side was the shade side never in the sun.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I opened a case with GD but I refuse to take to the dealer where I bought it since they are so crappy.
    If my additional fan project doesn't continue to work I'll find another dealer when we go south and see how that goes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    I opened a case with GD but I refuse to take to the dealer where I bought it since they are so crappy. If my additional fan project doesn't continue to work I'll find another dealer when we go south and see how that goes.
    Sorry you're not getting easy answers. Just a heads-up, getting service in the southern states in the winter (at least in southeastern U.S.) is a real challenge, they're incredibly busy, and I've also found GD dealers reticent to provide warranty service if you didn't buy the trailer from them. Rather than "find another dealer when we go south" you might want to start finding that dealer and making arrangements now. Or press the issue directly with Grand Design. If you get it approved in advance by them they will pay for a mobile tech to diagnose and repair your issue if they have to.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch