User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone traveled Highway 21 in central Idaho?

Looking for recommendation from anyone who has recently traveled route 21 in central Idaho from Stanley to Boise. I'm fairly familiar with Idaho, but have never been over this route. We will be heading home from Yellowstone and this shaves a lot of miles off if reasonably RV friendly. It will be the first week of October, so I wouldn't expect weather to be an issue.
    Any comment/advice would be welcomed.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just drove this Tuesday. All two lane narrow road with 2 summits. Doable but slow and beautiful. Depending on the reason, #75 South to Stanton Crossing and #20 to Mountain Home is easier, one hour longer. There is additional traffic in Ketchum and Hailey though. I drove both roads. Depending on your desires, if you go #21 to Lowman, then continue to Banks Lowman Road, it follows the Payette River, scenic, and less hills, same travel time.
    It's all doable, #21 will require you to be on your game with a few hair pins, median line to fog line..... nothing we aren't used to but have to pay attention. Let me know if you need more.
    BTW, #21 route dumps you out to Lucky Peak Reservoir and Interstate 84, Banks Lowman Road dumps you to #55 , then South to Eagle with lots of traffic for 5 miles, then Interstate 84. I don't know of your next destination so can't advise.
    Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend going down the Banks/Lowman road to Highway 55 and then south to Boise. The junction is right in Lowman and heads down the the South Fork of the Payette River. The scenery is pretty and avoids the pull, up from Lowman just to go back down into Boise. It is a good paved highway but has some curves and grade that requires you to take your time with a trailer. However, I always feel it is faster than 21.
    Lyle & Cathy plus Boomer (English Lab)

2015 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2016 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Limited 4X4
    6.7 Cummins with Aisin Transmission

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driven it several times. Nice drive if you're not rushed. Several NFS campgrounds along the route. Idaho City is worth a stop while there.
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thanks for the replies above. Following some of the advice, I think I'll take 21 to 55 and pick up 52 out to I-84. I had planned to stop near Sand Hollow for the night to visit relatives before heading home (Pasco, WA).

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to get to Sand Hollow. Take 21 from Stanley > Lowman. Then 17 to Banks. South on 55 > 52> I-84 (Sand Hollow).
    17 is a nice 2 lane route up the river valley.
    Frank & PJ
    2018 303 RLS
    2004 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 Sierra