User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Momentum 21G

Hello Everyone,

We're looking at purchasing a new Momentum 21G but I'm wondering if my 2015 Infiniti QX80 would be able to tow it. I see the QX80 is rated at 8500 lbs towing and I do have the tow package. I want to haul my Harley Street Glide in it too.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you are looking for guidance or validation. Specs on your TT say dry weight is 6370. Most people want at least a 10% margin for safety between what they tow vs their towing capacity so that gives you about 7650 you actually haul. It takes little to put 1000 lbs of stuff in a camper even without a motorcycle. Your battery and propane count and so does fresh watrr if you are going boondocking. So in my book you are under powered. But you are çertain to find many people who will tell you specs barely mean a damn thing. I am not one of them
    Best of luck and be safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

I have towed our 21G about 6500 miles and camped 58 nights. The weight sheet that came with the trailer said the UVW was 7002 pounds and hitch weight was 1152 pounds when the trailer left the factory. I assume that weight was without battery and propane tanks installed.
    JMHO but I think the 21G is a little too much trailer for your QX80. Per my signature I'm towing with a Ram 2500. I wouldn't recommend towing the 21G with a regular 1500 (half ton), only with one of the so called heavy duty ones.

Larry
    Larry & Paula
    2019 Momentum 21G
    Equalizer 1400 / 14000
    2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subvet0615 View Post
    Jeff,

I have towed our 21G about 6500 miles and camped 58 nights. The weight sheet that came with the trailer said the UVW was 7002 pounds and hitch weight was 1152 pounds when the trailer left the factory. I assume that weight was without battery and propane tanks installed.
    JMHO but I think the 21G is a little too much trailer for your QX80. Per my signature I'm towing with a Ram 2500. I wouldn't recommend towing the 21G with a regular 1500 (half ton), only with one of the so called heavy duty ones.

Larry
    Thanks Larry for your feedback, seems I might need more truck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    Not sure if you are looking for guidance or validation. Specs on your TT say dry weight is 6370. Most people want at least a 10% margin for safety between what they tow vs their towing capacity so that gives you about 7650 you actually haul. It takes little to put 1000 lbs of stuff in a camper even without a motorcycle. Your battery and propane count and so does fresh watrr if you are going boondocking. So in my book you are under powered. But you are çertain to find many people who will tell you specs barely mean a damn thing. I am not one of them
    Best of luck and be safe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Tim. I think I agree, especially after I factor in an 800lbs motorcycle.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the resources in this thread in the reference library. Payload is as critical as towing capacity - if not more.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015