User Tag List

Thread: Predator 3500

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predator 3500

I have both the Honda eu3000i and the Honda Handi i3000 generators. Both have issues running 15000 BTU RV air Conditioners on hot days. My friends eu3000i have the same issues. They sometimes run the 13500 AC except in extreme heat. Hope your runs better.

Friends with the HF Predator 3500 don't have issues in the extreme heat running their 15.000 BTU RV AC.
    They went on sale so I bought one. About $100 bucks off and 1/3 the cost of the Hondas. Just as quiet.
    Almost 50 lbs lighter than the big Honda and in the recent 103F heat ran the RV 15000 AC with ease. Just picked up a little load and hummed at 50% capacity.

I regularly buy HF stuff but have never had any confidence in HF items. It was usually I need the tool or item today and if it grenades after one use,, well, it was cheap, I got the project done.

So far I'm impressed. Cheap and friends say if it pukes HF offers a no hassle exchange they say is real.

103F outside ran one 15000AC all day at half rated running load, engine just picked up speed a little and quietly hummed the entire time. Our Honda eu3000 would eventually have a tantrum and quit, the Handi just hated it to begin with.

8 Hour First oil change lots of glitter which I'm told is to be expected. Next oil change at 30 hours, then every 100.

Big Wheel kit arrived this morning, makes it look comic book. Much easier to handle.

30 Hour oil change, nice and clean.

Drained the carb, ready for our next trip:

Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 09-09-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear the comparison against the Honda. I wanted a couple Hondas but I couldn't pass up the deal on the HF Predator 3500. So far it hasn't disappointed. Most of the hours on my unit are on the opposite side of the thermometer. Used mine mostly to power an Ice Castle fish house. Ran like a champ in -27F out ice fishing. Been really impressed with the unit so far. No disrespect to other brands but the Predator is the real deal.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Honda 4500 Super Quiet that is heavy as hell. When I was younger and stronger I had no problem lifting the 300+ pound unit into the truck bed. Not so easy now besides the point that its just that much more weight in the truck. I have been looking at the Predotor's due to their weight and cost as well as the fact that I have a friend that has been using one with his TT for the last several years. Think I might go with 2 of the 2000's that you can run parallel. You can actually get more power with less weight it seems.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand keep changing the oil every 100 hours, clean the spark arrester all the time and run a little gas additive that stabilizes and fights the ethanol issues.
    I can't see running the" house" 5500 Onan for one AC or to just run the crock pot or watch TV.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are about 2/3s through a 2.5 month approx. 9,000 mile trip. I bought a dual fuel 3500 watt Champion for dry camping hear and there on this trip. It has been great! I have only used it on propane but it will run our main 15,000 btu AC and tv no prob. Tried coffee maker with ac and it tripped gen breaker. Very happy with it. It is an inverter which I also like for tv, computer etc.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Good to hear the comparison against the Honda. I wanted a couple Hondas but I couldn't pass up the deal on the HF Predator 3500. So far it hasn't disappointed. Most of the hours on my unit are on the opposite side of the thermometer. Used mine mostly to power an Ice Castle fish house. Ran like a champ in -27F out ice fishing. Been really impressed with the unit so far. No disrespect to other brands but the Predator is the real deal.
    We camp in Death Valley where the AC can run all day, the heater runs all night.
    Some days so brutally cold we stay inside. Good to read it handles the cold. It's every bit as quiet as the Hondas with none of the rattles the Honda has and the wife says it's a lower exhaust note as well that may help.
    The stock wheel lock rings like a bell, the big wheel kit eliminated that. I used a few more washers as shims on the big wheel kit shafts so the wheels would jive and not rub against the generator and the wheel lock would line up better.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a Predator in use for the first time a few weeks ago. I was impressed. That being said, I have 2 Westinghouse 2500 generators that can be hooked parallel for 5000 watts. One 2500 will run our 15000btu A/C and more with no problems.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Wheel kit arrived this morning, makes it look comic book. Much easier to handle.

How tall is the unit after changing out the wheels?

Thanks