User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Rob,
    What is your opinion of "boxing" the suspension hangers (welding plates onto the open sides of each)? I recently had a bent one and got it replaced, but when I posted on FB about it quite a few folks were mentioning doing this. I didn't know if perhaps. I have had to replace 3 hangers in our 5 years on the road, but hesitate to make design changes. Thoughts?
    Hi Alan,

“Boxing” the hangers is definitely a worthwhile addition, particularly with the tall hangers that both LCI and Dexter use on some GDRV models. The common way to do this is what the industry calls “V Clips”. There are many reference to these in the long thread on broken hangers, but Gene has posted the best pictures in post 282 of https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...057#post218057 although these pics are not of a Grand Design product. See also the picture that I attached to post 285. Note that the V Clip is welded across its ends at the frame but only down opposite legs of the hanger to maintain some flexibility in tightening to the spring bushing. Boxing the ends of the hanger would make it too rigid to bend in to the bushing which is typically shorter than the free width of the hanger. I have V Clips installed in all my hangers . . . after this was suggested by the LCI tech when he was replacing (and reinforcing) the hanger that broke on my Reflection. The first post in the long thread referenced above.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-14-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Rob for the advice. My trailer should be at the leaf spring shop this Tuesday. I'll reach out to them to see if they recommend upgrading other suspension components. I failed to mention in my post the heavier Sailun tire and rim upgrade which may be putting more stress on the springs.
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacing leaf springs can be done in a driveway with a jack and jack stands. Most RV repair shops suck. My experience is that they rarely have parts on hand. I’ve had better luck with truck and trailer repair shops.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One would think that parts such as leaf springs, bearings and seals would be on the shelf at any competent RV parts dept. Rarely are they. As the service dept never seems to have anything stocked, I imagine the parts “dept” is nothing more than a countertop with a phone and desktop computer. Isn’t it amazing how RV manufacturers (regardless of brand) all seem to use the same parts when putting these boxes on wheels but a dealer can’t seem to stock any parts because there is too many varieties and assortments to keep in stock.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    . . . at any competent RV parts dept . . .
    Never encountered one of these . . . LOL .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had my 2017 Reflection 30BH in the RV shop for a spring that had had slid forward and ruined the tire. The shop foreman said all springs were flat, and he was seeing a lot of these on newer trailers. Fortunately for me the dealer sold the rig with an RV Warranty Forever which covers suspension and various other mechanical components (if you bring it in every year for a $125 inspection). Shop foreman recommended that, rather than ordering the same imported junk springs, I have springs made at a local specialty spring shop (St. Louis Spring) and have an extra leaf added. This we did. Dealer then installed them. Yes the local shop cost $125 per spring and I only got $48 each credit from Warranty Forever (cost of junk imports), however, I am very pleased. Just got back from a 600 mile trip into the hilliest, windiest roads in the Missouri Ozarks (Hwy 19) but the trailer road and followed excellent. It sits about 1 inch higher, but rides much better. I would recommend using a reputable spring shop over junk on-line imports if you replace your springs.
    Last edited by lxmeier; 09-21-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lxmeier View Post
    I would recommend using a reputable spring shop over junk on-line imports if you replace your springs.
    That is exactly what we did, went to local spring supplier and had added a leaf but only on the heavy side. Made no difference in the ride quality, still leave the paper towel sitting on the hutch during travel and it's still there when we stop.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    Your example is exactly why I avoid dealers for repairs. After 5 years of full-timing, I’ve learned that I can always find someone to do the job quickly where a dealer wastes weeks. We had a lead spring break on the road and I found an auto repair shop that I had it overnighted to....had the repair done in 2 hours th next day. The closest RV place said it’d take them 2 weeks. I recently had to have a broken hanger replaced and used a diesel tractor repair shop and have had hydraulic work done at truck shops.
    Yes, agree. Even still under warranty the two issues we have had, we had a local competent mobile RV tech do the work.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12