User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaf Spring Broke

Late last month we were heading down to the Eastern Shore VA from NJ for a quick weekend trip. We planned on staying over night over in DE as we got a late start and wanted to see our friends a G&R Campground in Harrington DE. As I got closer to our destination I realized we had no trailer brakes! I carefully made it the CG site and settled in for the night. The next morning I realized a leaf spring had broke and hit the brake line causing gradual fluid loss. I attempted to locate a new leaf spring locally to repair it myself but was unsuccessful. Frustrating to say the least! We limped the RV to the dealer that we had purchased it from in DE on Monday morning. I explained to the service writer the issues with the broken leaf spring and leaking brake line and we headed back home. I contacted Lippert and explained the problem and they agreed to ship 4 new leaf springs and u-bolt kits to the RV dealer in DE, no charge even though it was out of warranty.

I received a call from the RV dealer telling me they received the parts from Lippert but they don't work on the chassis! I was told I would need to drive 4 hours back down to DE to bring it to a shop 3 miles away from them that would do that type of work. Basically the RV sat there for 2 weeks for nothing. I contacted the general manager at the dealer and explained the situation. He was understood my problem and made an appointment to bring the RV to the other shop to have the work done. The dealership would move the RV for us. It should be completed by the 17th of this month. So, bad and good from the dealership. They need to train their employees better in my opinion.

BTW, not overloaded, decent roads and less than 5000 miles on our 2017 350M , just venting!
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is frustrating, at least there were no negative outcomes due to the broken leaf spring and brake line. I replaced all of my leaf springs since some looked flat and others has leaves that were starting to shift outwards. I also carry a spare set of leaf springs and u bolts with me to be safe. Couldn't hurt adding that to your spare parts list. Might be worth adding a plug or something for your brake line as well, some brakes are better than no brakes. Hope the other shop is more successful than the RV dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to wonder what kind and of RV dealer doesn’t have a shop that can’t replace a leaf spring. That’s a pretty basic repair.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric I know your pain, I have broken a spring before. Using our 2nd 5th wheel. I have had enough suspension issues that I upgrade my suspension shortly after purchase. I also inspect my suspension frequently. I have a lot riding on it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your example is exactly why I avoid dealers for repairs. After 5 years of full-timing, I’ve learned that I can always find someone to do the job quickly where a dealer wastes weeks. We had a lead spring break on the road and I found an auto repair shop that I had it overnighted to....had the repair done in 2 hours th next day. The closest RV place said it’d take them 2 weeks. I recently had to have a broken hanger replaced and used a diesel tractor repair shop and have had hydraulic work done at truck shops.
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minnow, I was really surprised myself! An RV dealer with literally hundreds of leaf springs sitting under the trailers they are selling don't ever expect to or have the ability to replace one!!!! Bizarre!
    2017 350M
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas, can I ask what your upgrade consisted of? Did you go from the 3500lb springs to ? I was thinking of 4000lb springs but wasn't sure how the ride would change? Any other suggestions?
    2017 350M
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FT4NOW, yes, I agree it could have much worse. I was unaware the spring broke until I saw it at the CG. Got lucky the axle didn't shift and cause a blowout. I'm definitely going to research bullet-proofing the suspension. I just want to go camping!
    2017 350M
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Eric Cope,

The tires and suspension should work together to absorb road impacts and cushion the ride of the trailer. Over strengthening one will force the other to do all the absorbing. Over strengthening both will mean a much rougher ride for the trailer and everything in it. There are several other threads referencing the details of this. The springs should carry the static weight of the trailer at about 1.5” of compression which is half their design travel. See the library section of this forum for details on how to measure the loaded arch height of your springs. Not too difficult to do and will give you actual measurements of whether or not your springs are operating in the correct load range.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    @Eric Cope,

The tires and suspension should work together to absorb road impacts and cushion the ride of the trailer. Over strengthening one will force the other to do all the absorbing. Over strengthening both will mean a much rougher ride for the trailer and everything in it. There are several other threads referencing the details of this. The springs should carry the static weight of the trailer at about 1.5” of compression which is half their design travel. See the library section of this forum for details on how to measure the loaded arch height of your springs. Not too difficult to do and will give you actual measurements of whether or not your springs are operating in the correct load range.

Rob
    Rob,
    What is your opinion of "boxing" the suspension hangers (welding plates onto the open sides of each)? I recently had a bent one and got it replaced, but when I posted on FB about it quite a few folks were mentioning doing this. I didn't know if perhaps. I have had to replace 3 hangers in our 5 years on the road, but hesitate to make design changes. Thoughts?
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast