User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SF-SGM View Post
    One has to wonder what is being taught in journalism classes anymore. Certainly spelling and grammar as not at the top of the list. The competition for readership is fierce with the internet now and only getting moreso with the short attention span of readers so stories are often thrown out willy-nilly without much regard for fact-checking (ever notice how many of the headlines grab your atteention but the story itself is much different?). Our local paper is conencted to USA Today and much of the material comes from that bastion of thoroughness, unbiased reporting and accuracy (NOT).

I mainly read it for stories on local sports (I coach wrestling at the high school) and some of the local news.

Newspapers are dying.
    Yes they are,even up until 2010 I put over 10,000 single copy papers on the street every day, 24/7>with help from 5 employees,the internet took over ,the papers fired all the good writers in their on darn interest of making more money and getting their bonus,put us all on the employment line after 35 years.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still do every Sunday.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our local paper used to be morning and evening. Then they cut it to morning only. Then they began to cut entire sections. Eventually we were lucky to get a dozen pages, half of them sports. Now we get the Wall Street Journal and on weekends we get the NY Times. Decent papers worth reading. I can hardly watch the local TV news anymore either with what they choose to repeat over and over again and talk to us like we don't know anything and must be told everything because we don't have any common sense. Things like a mass shooting get constant attention for days which results in more of the same behavior, and our children are fearful they will be shot at school because they hear about it day and night, but they think nothing of riding to school in a car which statistically kills many times more than mass shootings do but they don't hear about that day in and day out because that wouldn't help the ratings and sell advertising.
    Last edited by bigb56; 09-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, to reply to the original question, Does anyone get a Sunday paper anymore, yes, whenever I can find one. But, as all the other on-topic commenters have noted, they are fewer and farther apart these days, especially when you're traveling. DW and I are completing a 6 week mid-west trip (sorry, very few Starbucks, none on Sunday), and the newspaper issue was not my priority shopping there, caffeine was. But finding a local paper while traveling gives you a sense of place, a feeling of where your are travelling through. So I try and find the local papers, however small, to see what is important to them, even if it is crop harvests and new sidewalks. It very much gives us a break from the BS going on "higher up" the food chain. We get home tomorrow and I do not look forward to re-entering any sort of reality.
    Last edited by Jefferson Beifuss; 09-14-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at a digital copy almost every day. We especially like it when we are on the road.

Jefferson - I agree looking at local papers is informative.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still read the Sunday paper. But, quality has suffered over the years. At least I can glance through it while I cook breakfast for Mama. And, most of the tv we watch is documentaries and the food network. "More Flavor!!!!!"
    Some of you know may know where that comes from.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a replica version of our hometown metropolitan newspaper on my tablet because we travel a lot, which is pretty cool, but generally just want to keep up with what's going on locally - economy, sports teams, etc., but the "news" part of it is disappointing and depressing for the reasons posted here (and more). My news is going outside in the morning and enjoying the scenery of wherever we may be that day and looking forward to a hike, a bike ride or meeting the locals at the coffee shop. I try and stay aware of what's going on in the world and how it may affect me, my loved ones and our country, but spend zero time watching cable and local news. Toxic stuff.

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    National Lampoon Magazine once did a Sunday paper parody called the Dayton Republican Democrat.
    It was a full size Sunday newspaper with magazine inserts, fake advertising, a TV booklet all the sections of a normal Sunday paper and it was all fake comedy. Hilarious.

Well, my mom had several Sunday newspapers delivered. Sometimes the delivery service would leave a complimentary copy of another towns Sunday paper like the New York Times or Sacramento Bee. Maybe mom would add that to her deliveries or sometimes pass on it.

So I snuck the bogus Dayton Republican Democrat Sunday edition into the stack of Newspapers on her front porch. My mom was beside herself reading that “rubbish.” My dad figured out the gag after a spell but didn’t let into mom.
    It was fun prank.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A news source I like in the mornings on my computer is the Daily Grind. It is good reading with just the details of the story without bashing anyone or trying to make you think one way or the other. They cover many topics of interest. Some of the quotes at the beginning from famous people can be good.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    A news source I like in the mornings on my computer is the Daily Grind. It is good reading with just the details of the story without bashing anyone or trying to make you think one way or the other. They cover many topics of interest. Some of the quotes at the beginning from famous people can be good.
    I’ll check that out, sounds good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123