Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King Jack OTA TV antenna won't rotate

We have had our rig for about 3 months and the other day I had opportunity to need the OTA antenna. This was one item I neglected to test when we did our dealer walk through and as it turns out it won't rotate. It is frozen solid. I looked at the doc and don't see any mention of a shipping lock so was wondering if anyone else had this issue or did I miss one of those 'Doh!" items somewhere? And yes I am pressing the button on the knob.
    TIA -Rob-
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    We have had our rig for about 3 months and the other day I had opportunity to need the OTA antenna. This was one item I neglected to test when we did our dealer walk through and as it turns out it won't rotate. It is frozen solid. I looked at the doc and don't see any mention of a shipping lock so was wondering if anyone else had this issue or did I miss one of those 'Doh!" items somewhere? And yes I am pressing the button on the knob.
    TIA -Rob-
    Haven't had the problem, but it's not an uber-sophisticated assembly, easy to check out yourself.

Pop the cover off the ceiling-mounted rotator knob assembly and you'll find four screws holding it to the ceiling. Remove them and you should be able to pull the assembly gently straight down. You'll see that a black plastic piece - a ~3/4" X ~3/4" square rod - extends from the knob in your hand. It fits into a square hole in the bottom of the antenna's batwing to turn it... very simple.

If the knob assembly rotates properly then look up into the ceiling hole. A very thin coax cable comes down from the batwing and connects to an ordinary RG-6 cable above the ceiling. Ensure that this isn't pulled tight or wrapped around something - it needs some looseness to permit rotation.

If all looks good so far, then visit the batwing on your roof and see if you can rotate it. Perhaps with some persuasion you can get it moving.

Then re-install the ceiling rotator knob, fiddling to get the black plastic piece properly seated in the batwing's hole.

If you can't rotate the batwing by hand then you probably need a replacement. Consider replacing the antenna with the omnidirectional Winegard Air 360 as we've done... works OK and no more rotating and hunting for signals.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pull the inside assembly of and see if it will turn. They are pretty simple to work on. Not much to them.