User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone up for problem solving this morning? Converter issue? Power cord issue?

Hi. Have a 2020 315RLTS, 1 week old. We are on first trip out. Yesterday afternoon the refrigerator started beeping with error msg. L1op. At the same time, the lights dimmed. We tried resetting the high limit temperature outside on the back of the frig but didn't have a strong enough magnet as it would not work, bought ice, turned off frig. That night the lights dimmed more and more and eventually went out completely. In the meantime, even though the frig would not work and the lights were dim, we had power fine to the TV, the air conditioner, the receptacles, microwave etc.
    In the morning, we pushed in the shore power cord tighter as there was a small gap. Immediately the refrigerator worked again, and the lights were bright. 25-30 min. no problem, then once again, beeping on frig, lights dimmed instantly. Now, we tried plugging the trailer into truck receptacle and left the truck running. Immediately the refrigerator works again and the lights are now bright again. Any ideas anyone?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your power cord shouldn’t have any play. You need to secure the cord by twisting it in, then get the ring snug. A lot of times that ring binds way too soon and you end up with a bad connection.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and your battery is dead and needs recharge/replacement. Your lights run off 12v so if they dim it is battery. Once you solve your electrical issue, you should immediately check your battery.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahooie View Post
    Hi. Have a 2020 315RLTS, 1 week old. We are on first trip out. Yesterday afternoon the refrigerator started beeping with error msg. L1op. At the same time, the lights dimmed. We tried resetting the high limit temperature outside on the back of the frig but didn't have a strong enough magnet as it would not work, bought ice, turned off frig. That night the lights dimmed more and more and eventually went out completely. In the meantime, even though the frig would not work and the lights were dim, we had power fine to the TV, the air conditioner, the receptacles, microwave etc. In the morning, we pushed in the shore power cord tighter as there was a small gap. Immediately the refrigerator worked again, and the lights were bright. 25-30 min. no problem, then once again, beeping on frig, lights dimmed instantly. Now, we tried plugging the trailer into truck receptacle and left the truck running. Immediately the refrigerator works again and the lights are now bright again. Any ideas anyone?
    While you're waiting for someone more expert than I am to advise you, I'll point out that all the stuff that has NOT failed through your ordeal is 120V stuff. The stuff that HAS failed is 12V stuff.

This is speculation only but since you describe a loose shore power connection, and that fiddling with it has temporarily restored your 12V stuff, I wonder if power fluctuations on one leg of your shore power have damaged the converter that powers your 12V systems and charges your battery, or if the converter is faulty. It's possible too that your battery is dead-flat after not being charged by the converter and the converter can't get into charging mode. I've read that the LP01 error from the fridge can result when power to it fluctuates, even though that's not what the error is reporting.

A fairly simple thing to try is (a) turn off the fridge, (b) disconnect the trailer from shore power, and (c) disconnect the battery. After 20 seconds or so connect the battery, firmly connect the shore power, and then after 15 minutes or so turn the fridge back on. Maybe, just maybe, things will settle down.

@JColeman posted while I was writing this. He's correct that you should have the battery LOAD TESTED as part of your investigation.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you putting the plug into the trailer and turning it clockwise to lock it in? Then screw on the lock ring.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    While you're waiting for someone more expert than I am to advise you, I'll point out that all the stuff that has NOT failed through your ordeal is 120V stuff. The stuff that HAS failed is 12V stuff.

This is speculation only but since you describe a loose shore power connection, and that fiddling with it has temporarily restored your 12V stuff, I wonder if power fluctuations on one leg of your shore power have damaged the converter that powers your 12V systems and charges your battery, or if the converter is faulty. It's possible too that your battery is dead-flat after not being charged by the converter and the converter can't get into charging mode. I've read that the LP01 error from the fridge can result when power to it fluctuates, even though that's not what the error is reporting.

A fairly simple thing to try is (a) turn off the fridge, (b) disconnect the trailer from shore power, and (c) disconnect the battery. After 20 seconds or so connect the battery, firmly connect the shore power, and then after 15 minutes or so turn the fridge back on. Maybe, just maybe, things will settle down.

@JColeman posted while I was writing this. He's correct that you should have the battery LOAD TESTED as part of your investigation.
    Thank you Boyscout. I will keep your suggestion as we may have this or something similar happen again and its nice to be prepared. Luckily, so far all is working due to actually locking the power cord tightly as opposed to what we did which is just plug in and tighten the ring like our last toyhauler required. Valuable lesson learned for us (and a whole day of frustrated emotions). Sure appreciate your suggestions and remarks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Installing a simple $20 battery monitor would be extremely beneficial. Mount the readout near your control panel inside the trailer so you can easily glance at it now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.