User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
    ... also with a vent line this long it is virtually impossible for any water to leave the tank.

... the top of the tank rises as the water tries to climb the vent line making it possible to completely fill the tank with an air pocket towards the top.
    These two things would concern me. The overflow/vent line is open at the end, but does it make the fact that pressure inside the tank has to raise the water X inches to get out through the serpentine overflow outlet irrelevant? Is that pressure always going to be less than the pressure required to rupture your tank?

I truly don't know and not trying to offend, just wondering about it. Do you know?
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-13-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    These two things would concern me. The overflow/vent line is open at the end, but does it make the fact that pressure inside the tank has to raise the water X inches to get out through the serpentine overflow outlet irrelevant? Is that pressure always going to be less than the pressure required to rupture your tank?

I truly don't know and not trying to offend, just wondering about it. Do you know?
    That occured to me.....especially after spending the summer in Colorado (high altitudes). Coming from Ariz. to Colorado....even the sodas that I had in the refrigerator (already cold) would foam up and over the top when I would open them, due to the pressure from raise in altitude.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. Thank you for the detailed understanding on how to take care of this problem. I do have my 29RS in for warranty work and will bring your fix to them. If they won’t do it I’ll do it myself. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

In a previous discussion, this is why I was NOT a fan of the shutoff valve, especially traveling to and from altitude. Jim, Rob, and myself were discussing an option of a one way flow valve to allow air in with a pressure relief valve at the end. When came to halt not knowing what the pressure relief should be set at. What is the magic number that's enough to not allow sloshing out but not too high to rupture the tank?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    In a previous discussion, this is why I was NOT a fan of the shutoff valve, especially traveling to and from altitude. Jim, Rob, and myself were discussing an option of a one way flow valve to allow air in with a pressure relief valve at the end. When came to halt not knowing what the pressure relief should be set at. What is the magic number that's enough to not allow sloshing out but not too high to rupture the tank?
    The outlet for the overflow is on the side of the tank below the top, leaving in a factory installation at least several thousand cubic inches of air at the top of the tank when it's filled to the overflow. Do you guys not think that air would sufficiently buffer altitude changes?

If not, I guess stopping occasionally during steep altitude changes to quickly open / close the valve to equalize pressure would.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem with my new 21BHE. Took it back to the dealer for repairs including the underbelly that came loose and peeled part of the way off. They called GD and were told to make a loop, stopped the tank from draining. The trailer spec is for a 43 gal tank. I filled it to overflowing and then measured what i drained out, about 36 gal. May have to fix it myself.
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys
    1929 Model A Ford Roadster
    1931 Model A Station Wagon

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 29roadster View Post
    Had the same problem with my new 21BHE. Took it back to the dealer for repairs including the underbelly that came loose and peeled part of the way off. They called GD and were told to make a loop, stopped the tank from draining. The trailer spec is for a 43 gal tank. I filled it to overflowing and then measured what i drained out, about 36 gal. May have to fix it myself.
    this makes perfect sence, the problem with this fix is that while a loop will help you have to get sufficient line above the tank. if you loop it, once the water reaches the top of the loop and drains out, it will continue to siphon the rest out until it reaches the lower level of the vent hole.
    in MY opinion my idea works well because the length is simply too long to allow the water to freely flow right out the side.
    water will enter the vent but if it sloshes back and forth will draw water in and out with the added friction of the length of hose it is a lot less likely it will just drain and keep draining. I was hesitant to leave any length at the end of the vent pointed down as that will start a siphon and drain the tank.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to route the vent line up to the fill port on the side of the trailer like my Starcraft. Just run it next to the fill hose. Then you can fill the tank completely, no way for it to siphon out
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here's the deal , if Grand Design, in their infinite wisdom would have put a gravity fill on their trailers like everybody else, which in the case of my other RVs have had, they serve as the overflow as well as the fill when not hooked up to city water. My Momentum 25g has 2 fresh water tanks, supposedly 100 gallons, when they are full and its running out of both overflows it empties, and I measured it, 35 gallons on the ground. Now when I go down the road it will empty out all but enough water, that if we use as little as possible, I will run out in 2 days. That's going 100 miles to where we camp. This has happened 3 times before and after dealer repairs, or should I say non repairs and if you research this problem you will find Grand Design has had this issue for years. I'm at a loss to understand why they don't fix the problem when they're standing there with the water tanks and plumbing staring them in the face. I guess because they don't have to. I put a valve on mine yesterday and T'ed it so both overflows drain out of one line since I have to crawl under and between the axles to get at one of the drain tubes so I can use the trailer, which I haven't done much because of lack of water. I know I could of carried extra water but I kept hoping the dealer and Grand Design could fix it. Ha,Ha!! Don't get me wrong I like the trailer but stuff like this drives me to distraction. I think I'm going with bass mechanics fix unless I see something different because I have 2 tanks. Thanks again for all the replies and ideas.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 21BHE has the gravity fill so I may be able to rework it with the overflow hooked to it like it should have been done in the first place.
    2019 Grand Design 21BHE
    2012 GMC Yukon
    Other toys

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast