User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-350 SRW CC SB 6.7L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel .... enough truck .....for 310GK

I am new to this forum and have read as many posts as I can find regarding the above. I know there are many variances. In my research, I believe that we should come in under max capacities. We are in the process of purchasing both a new fifth wheel and truck. We will have the trailer parked during the summer months but hope to do some traveling around the country for a few weeks in the Winter as we live in Minnesota. We will not have a generator or washer and dryer. Do not plan on having full tanks. Maybe a little water. Also, I tend to pack more on the lighter than heavier side and just my husband and I. We may have a moped and a couple of bikes on the back. My questions is to THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE THIS SAME SET UP: Are you comfortable with this combo? I thank you very much in advance. Dealerships of both do not seem to be much help.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 310GK, but as a reference my yellow tag in the door says the cargo capacity is 3479lb, and the truck is a 2019 F350 4x4 SRW Platinum CC SB. A non Platinum would likely give you even more cargo capacity.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you jh.xsnrg. I think hubby is open to something other than the platinum. Appreciate the insight. Others out there with or without the Platinum pulling the 310GK?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, welcome.

We have exactly that setup. It is "enough" truck, but if I was starting over I'd buy the F-450 with its longer box and dual rear wheels.

We bought the truck to tow a lighter Reflection 320MKS. The F350 SRW was very comfortable in every respect towing that trailer. Then we traded the trailer for the 310GK. The difference in weight is not all that much, but it's apparent and the difference between having a bit more truck than we needed and having just enough is still obvious to me after a year.

The Solitude is heavier and feels heavier. I feel it nudging when I go into curves and corners. It takes more care about distance in front and more braking to stop it. The truck already rests on its helper springs, just touching them, when the trailer is hitched. When we hit bad bridge transitions or other bumps, truck and trailer often buck like a rodeo horse, very uncomfortable.

Our 350 has the 3.55 axle ratio. It never felt like it was struggling during our season with the 320MKS, but we were on pretty flat roads most of the time. This year with the 310GK we went further afield and I felt the truck was working hard at times in hilly country. One day we were in the Ozarks with a stiff headwind - probably near the worst-possible scenario - and fuel consumption soared from about 11mgp to about 7mpg. I wouldn't want to be pushing the truck that hard again. Did it survive? Yes.

Another thing about the F-350 that has frustrated from the beginning: it has an infamously-wide turning radius. Several times experienced RV park staff directing me onto their sites have remarked on how much space it needs to move around. Just last week we had to decline a site at a popular park because I was pretty sure it would take a WHOLE lot of wriggling to get into it.

I've never properly weighed our trailer because others here with this combo have and they've reported being pretty close to the legal limits. I believe that we pack the trailer lighter than some do, probably about 1,500 pounds or so less than the cargo carrying capacity of the trailer. We rarely carry water, but sometimes we do for a few days of boondocking. I believe that if we really loaded it to capacity, along with tools I carry in my truck, we'd be busting past capacity.

Finally, because of the short box we use an auto-sliding Pullrite hitch. With the hitch - which moves the trailer back up to 14" in tight turns - our trailer still comes within 3" or so of the cab of the truck sometimes. Without it - and with the wide turning radius of the F350 - we'd have a HECK of a time getting into many sites, never mind the risk of forgetting and turning the trailer into the cab (I've met or read of a large handful of people doing that). But some things about the auto-slider are real negatives. It's very heavy, several hundred pounds, no way you and your husband will be taking it out by yourself. It's dirty - has to oiled before each use. It takes up a whole bunch of the bed of the truck. It needs attention for adjustments to it and its capture plate. And it's twitchy to hook up at times, especially if truck and trailer are not on the same plane side-to-side.

Since it seems you don't plan more than a few weeks of travel with light loading it is possible that the 350 SRW short bed will be "enough" truck to get you by. Others here are happy with the combo. But I'm frequently eyeing the 450 with its lower gear ratio for easier hill-climbing, bigger tougher brakes for better stopping, dual rear wheels to curb the nudging of the trailer, full length bed so I can ditch the slider hitch for a small and easily-removed hitch system, and better turning radius to improve parking and handling.

Hope this is useful. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do a lot of traveling to mountainous places. I’m really happy we have a dually for the way we travel. Also don’t have to worry about what is in the truck bed with 5600 pounds of payload. A SRW would probably be adequate with judicious loading and more traveling in the flatlands. Lightly loaded figure about 2800 lbs pin weight and 200 or so for a hitch. Y’all should enjoy the 310 , great couples RV.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a 2019 310GK and a 2019 F350 SRW Lariat, diesel, longbed and am very comfortable with the way it handles when pulling my 5er. Traveling from MI to Cape Cod this week. Some grades but nothing like rocky Mt’s or smokies yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave & Sharon
    Macomb, MI
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2019 Ford F350 Longbed SRW 6.7 Diesel
    Reese M5 20k Puck mounted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 310GK and a 2011 F350 srw long bed 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke (far from stock). I do have bags on mine but I don't feel they are really necessary. Tows like a dream.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've towed well over 3000 miles this summer in some of the hilliest, curves roads you'd want to travel in Utah, Colorado and Wyoming. Stock power was way more than adequate. I put disc brakes on my 310GK-R and braking was way more than adequate. As far as braking goes, I used them very minimally even on the steepest downgrades favoring gearing instead. The gearing and exhaust braking was way more than adequate, requiring me at times to actually disengage the exhaust brake to prevent the aggressive slowing it provided.

I have an auto slider. I've used them before. Would I prefer a non-slider? - sure. But I mostly prefer to garage my truck when not towing when I get back home. So no long bed or dually for me. Not this time, not the last 3 times. In a pinch it also allows me to park in places I otherwise (with a dually, long bed) might not be able to park; although I still favor the far out slots away from most people to protect from dings & such.

About the turning radius.... yes the F450 is tighter and that is a definite plus. Have I missed that? Not that I can tell. Heck, the few (too many) times I've missed my turn or headed down the wrong road I've even managed a U-turns in one move on 4 lane roads or dirt pull offs on dual lane roads. (I need to learn to pay attention more)

So my bottom line would be: if you can deal the width and length of a dually long bed, do that for all the advantages. If not the SRW SB is adequate for the 310. Just don't consider a 250.

oh - I don't think a Platinum would add much more weight than a full Lariat trim level or King Ranch.

and one more thing.... if you don't need/want a 4x4 you can get a higher payload capacity (and a lower trade in / desirable value). I've been there too.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-11-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply! Boy Scout, what do you think made more of a difference between those 2 fifth wheels, the 600 pounds of weight or the 400 pounds of hitch weight.? Never realized that would make that much of a difference.Sorry in advance for any ignorance On my part. I am learning!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LonnaB View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply! Boy Scout, what do you think made more of a difference between those 2 fifth wheels, the 600 pounds of weight or the 400 pounds of hitch weight.? Never realized that would make that much of a difference.Sorry in advance for any ignorance On my part. I am learning!
    Hi there, when you want to get someone's attention on the forum (because you're responding to them) either use the Reply With Quote link at the bottom of each post (you can subsequently edit the quote to remove unnecessary text) or use the '@' symbol in front of the person's username as in @LonnaB. If you do either of those things the user gets a notification of your post, otherwise it's hit-and-miss whether the person will come back to the thread and see it.

I don't know how to determine if additional pin weight or overall weight is more significant in making differences I've experienced between towing our two trailers. The weight differences sound small, as I mentioned in my first note above, but the differences in performance have been noticeable.

I towed the 320MKS to the dealer for a trade-in and towed the 310GK away less than two hours later. Immediately noticed that the truck felt more weighted and "mushy" (part of that was probably the rubberized RotoFlex hitch), that braking took more time and effort, that on the first curved ramp I encountered the trailer was nudging at the pin to keep going in the original direction.

Not saying that it's dangerous or not enough truck, just that it didn't feel as secure and firmly in control as it had felt towing the other trailer. I still feel it after ~7,000 miles and believe that a 450 would restore the complete confidence and control I used to feel with its higher GVWR, dual wheels, better brakes. Plus the easier start-up pulling and uphill pulling from the lower 4.33 axle ratio.

As you've seen, others are happy with the combo I have and you are considering. It's up to you to decide if my perceptions of shortcomings will become yours down the road. Good luck with your choices.
    Last edited by boyscout; 09-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast