User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toilet seat, one to ponder on

I'm back on the road after another long wait while the dealer to attended to warranty issues so I'm getting in touch once more.
    I hate the doughnut ring on the commode that was delivered with my camper. Besides being cheap cold plastic that adds little to the feng shui of the environment, it's ergonomics are not optimal to me. I don't know why but it's dished out, lowering the line of fire too close to the backstop. My mission, because I initiated it, is to find something more suitable to me.
    I realize this is a personal (very) choice and there are other influencers in this decision but what have you found that works? Also where is the best place to see an RV toilet seat in real time? It's not like going into the plumbing supply house where there are a hundred to choose from that will work with the house throne. I really don't want to pick one off a web site, or at least buy it sight unseen. Maybe a test fit, within reason of course, could be arranged.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 09-11-2019 at 04:00 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded to a Dometic 320, elongated porcelain toilet with a real toilet seat, after the plastic seat broke and I found out new ones for 50 bucks. My experience were the standard seats weren’t a good fit for the fit for the Thetford. You’d need 10.5 inches of clearance between the bolts and wall—I think.

The cons: I originally had a leaky valve and Dometic shipped me a new toilet. I also had to reapply silicone grease to the rubber seal of the new toilet after a couple months. It also seems to use slightly more water, which can fill the black tank quicker.

The pros: It fit perfectly in my Reflection 337. It feels more like a real residential toilet—for me this is a huge pro. It also seems to do a better job fitting new seats from Lowe’s, though a standard elongated seat doesn’t seem to be an exact fit either.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back I faintly recall a conversation about the toilet seat, you're suposed to be able to replace it with a standard round seat .
    Our seat sits not quite right and we have been considering the Dometic 310/20 (undecided).
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote in favor of the Dometic 320. Elongated, comfortable, solid seat, room inside for mens' parts, better all-round flushing compared to the spray on the Thetford.

You might have more trouble finding and installing a bigger and more comfortable seat for the Thetford than you would just replacing the whole toilet. I'll never go back.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me if the Dometic 320 will fit in my 2018 297RSTS. Thanks, Paul if not the 310?
    Last edited by p&j6865; 02-25-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried new seat from Lowes same size but holes did not line up ... I was told by member on Facebook this will fit ... may give it a try ... later Frank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHULPE...P_l0Gsi8i3NMrU
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    I tried new seat from Lowes same size but holes did not line up ... I was told by member on Facebook this will fit ... may give it a try ... later Frank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHULPE...P_l0Gsi8i3NMrU
    We bought that toilet seat for use in our 260RD. It's not a bad fit, however, be prepared to scoot around the toilet! For the life of me, I can't seem to get the danged thing tightened down enough. The wife and I are about to give up on this thetford toilet and get a Dometic 310. We had one in our last TT and loved it.

I feel silly complaining about a toilet seat! LOL, is this considered a 1st world problem?
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm back on the road after another long wait while the dealer to attended to warranty issues so I'm getting in touch once more.
    I hate the doughnut ring on the commode that was delivered with my camper. Besides being cheap cold plastic that adds little to the feng shui of the environment, it's ergonomics are not optimal to me. I don't know why but it's dished out, lowering the line of fire too close to the backstop. My mission, because I initiated it, is to find something more suitable to me.
    I realize this is a personal (very) choice and there are other influencers in this decision but what have you found that works? Also where is the best place to see an RV toilet seat in real time? It's not like going into the plumbing supply house where there are a hundred to choose from that will work with the house throne. I really don't want to pick one off a web site, or at least buy it sight unseen. Maybe a test fit, within reason of course, could be arranged.
    An update to my post. I went to Lowes or Home Depot, I forget which, and got a standard wood round domestic toilet seat that had limited success. It's better than the stock seat, better ergonomics, raises you up, but still not quite right. I was checking Craigslist when I got home last November and found a Dometic 320 that a wholesale buyer had in his warehouse and couldn't move. It is bone but I'm not fussy and in the grand scheme it's a better match to the decor. Oh yes, it was $50. Even if it didn't fit I'd be able to recoup my investment.
    It was a few months before I got to it and upon opening it up found the ant colony that lived in the front corner of the guy's warehouse had expanded into the rim of the bowl. That was probably the reason I found the anti-siphon valve stuck and passing water. A new one set me back $35 for the one with the optional spray hose which I highly recommend. So for about $100 I'm sitting in high.......
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
    I feel silly complaining about a toilet seat! LOL, is this considered a 1st world problem?
    The very definition.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an old thread I think that was on this forum, it was suggested to use these toilet seats: https://bathroyale.com/collections/toilet-seats

The ones from Lowe's and Home Depot did not fit our Dometic round bowl. Ordered from above and fit perfectly. Soft close and 1st world comfort.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast